Need help for pot still results

  • eirelandwolf
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hi all,I joined the group a while ago,and have learned a great
      deal.But head learning is totally different from hands on. What I have
      built on a very limited budget is a tea kettle still, holds a liter. I
      made a condenser,28 inches of 1/4 inch tubing running thru 14 inches
      of 1/2 inch tubing for the condenser,submersible pump in a 5 gallon
      bucket of ice water for cooling. On the stripping run every thing
      seemed fine,but on the 2nd run,the 1st 50ml. came out hot,then cooled
      down for the rest of the run,I did not get a real seperation I could
      taste between the fors,middle and tails. I only made a 1 gallon mash
      as a practice run.It was 2 pounds sugar 1/4 cup molasses,1/2 teaspoon
      yeast nutrient(old wine supply,could be no good?)and a tablespoon of
      RedStar bakers yeast(waiting on ec-1118 yeast),I use a hot plate (1100
      watts)I start on high as it comes up in temp I cut it back to 3/4. My
      question is am I running it to hot? I know I need better yeast to get
      higher initial alcohol yield,but it seems I should get a clearer
      seperation than what I got(not drinkable even after carbon filter),any
      idea's or help would be appreciated, thanks Rick
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hi Rick,
        comments interspersed:

        --- eirelandwolf <rbg10798@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,I joined the group a while ago,and have
        > learned a great
        > deal.But head learning is totally different from
        > hands on. What I have
        > built on a very limited budget is a tea kettle
        > still, holds a liter. I
        > made a condenser,28 inches of 1/4 inch tubing
        > running thru 14 inches
        > of 1/2 inch tubing for the condenser,submersible
        > pump in a 5 gallon
        > bucket of ice water for cooling. On the stripping
        > run every thing
        > seemed fine,but on the 2nd run,the 1st 50ml. came
        > out hot,then cooled
        what do you mean? Where's the thermometer?

        > down for the rest of the run,I did not get a real
        > seperation I could
        > taste between the fors,middle and tails. I only made
        > a 1 gallon mash
        You may well get little differentiation on a small pot
        still.

        > as a practice run.It was 2 pounds sugar 1/4 cup
        > molasses,1/2 teaspoon
        > yeast nutrient(old wine supply,could be no good?)and
        > a tablespoon of
        > RedStar bakers yeast(waiting on ec-1118 yeast)
        That should be ok. Bakers yeast works great for me.

        > a hot plate (1100
        > watts)I start on high as it comes up in temp I cut
        > it back to 3/4. My
        way too much heat. That's the other reason why you
        have no differentiation. Try coming up to temp slowly,
        and finishing faster: not the other way round.

        > question is am I running it to hot? I know I need
        yes

        > better yeast to get
        > higher initial alcohol yield,but it seems I should
        not necessarily. bakers should do that recipe.

        > get a clearer
        > seperation than what I got(not drinkable even after
        > carbon filter),any
        > idea's or help would be appreciated, thanks Rick
        You seem to be heating so hard that everything poops
        over at once. Slow down. Your major problem will be
        controlling the heat input.
        If you can, insert the boiler in a big pan of water
        and heat that. Slowly.
        Also, how does the exit tube leave your boiler? out
        and straight down? try a bit more up, before it turns
        down to the condenser.
        Also (again) where are you measuring the temp? and
        how?
        Cheers,
        Rob.

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        __________________________________
        http://farechase.yahoo.com
      • Robert N
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2005
          Hi Rick, from reading your post I am imagining you have a rheostat on the
          heating element. IE it cycles on and off. If so then this is a major problem
          as you really need constant heat. The second thing you need to realise is
          that the ¼” tube will limit the amount of heat input you can use. IE too
          much heat and the vapour cannot get out quick enough, creating a pressure
          build up. This is not a good thing, firstly as a safety issue, pressure =
          explosion, secondly if you are only just getting too much heat into it then
          separation cannot happen.

          Don’t throw any alcohol out; just add some more water and experiment until
          you get things working correctly. Try slowing the heat down some, separation
          should increase. If finding a stable heat source is problematic then immerse
          the boiler inside a pan of water say up to the wash level and have the
          boiler sit on something to raise it from the bottom so the heat doesn’t just
          transfer from one metal surface to another. Yes this is fiddly but you are
          just experimenting here. Once you understand how and why a little better you
          can then go onto other ways. Have a look at http://homedistiller.org and
          read up on the science that is there.

          Yours in Spirit

          Robert

          _____

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2005
            Hi Rob,
            Thanks for your help,sorry I haven't replied sooner. You ask about if
            I had a thermometer, yes I do it is inserted in the cork in the tea
            kettle. I ran it at a lower heat setting like you said and it worked
            fine,thanks. I'm definately going to build a bigger still and keep
            this one for distilling essences. You were right about the still being
            to small to notice much seperation. I have put up a few photo's, (not
            great but will give a better idea than my explaination) the photo's
            are in album labled elw, thanks again for you help, Rick
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas