Re: [new_distillers] Re: Carbon Filtering Questions

  • Roderick Holmes
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
      Fig,

      The flavors in the distillate especially toward the end of the run can taste quite bad and can be tasted in your absinthe though not as bad as in an unflavored batch. This is not an issue if you make your cuts early enough to eliminate the taste of the "tails". I have found that the carbon also makes the final drink "smoother". This is a trait we all want in any drink we make no matter what we flavor it with.

      Regarding some of the other questions, carbon works best when diluted to 40-60%. If you try to carbon filter at 85% you may find that it does little to improve taste.

      Roderick

      Figment <fmashburn@...> wrote:
      I'm fairly new to this, but I thought the main reason for the carbon
      filtering was to remove some of the slightly off flavors and smooth
      out the overall taste. I've made some absinthe and can't imagine any
      of the flavors from my sugar runs being discernible over the anise
      and other herbs used to make the absinthe. Any thoughts to the
      contrary would be welcome. Maybe I'm missing the boat?

      -Fig