Re: [new_distillers] Re: Will essential oil affect my whiskey flavour?

  • Dean Thomas
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi Johan,

      I'm not sure about essential oils but (I up to now have only done sugar
      washes) I normally flush with hot water between runs. I imagine that if
      you were to flush with vinegar and water then hot water that should take
      care of it?

      My other thought is that during the next use the first few 100ml of
      heads would also do a good job of eliminating the oils before the run, a
      big factor in this approach is the boiling point of the essential oil.
      In the long run I personally would just make another still that way it
      isn't an issue.

      I'm sure that someone will chip in if I'm wrong on any of the above.

      Dean.

      P.s. I did a five minute search of the archives and didn't find anything
      specific on essential oil tainting the next run and how to solve it but
      that doesn't mean its not there it was only a quick glimpse after all.

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
        If my manner seemed abrupt, then in my defense it is because of the
        proliferation of garbage we're getting lately from trolls , spammers
        & spoofers. It falls to me to block this crap. Your post just
        struck me as very odd for a person who's been distilling as long as
        yourself. If I was in error, then I apologise and publicly. If
        not, well...

        ---------------------------------

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "monckza" <jpot@a...> wrote:

        > Sorry Your Highness. I apologise for having asked this absolutely
        > stupid question. I did not intend for Your Highness to answer me.
        > My question was actually aimed at someone who does not mind
        > communicating in a civilised manner with an idiot.
        >
        > I promise, next time I ask a stupid question to be very specific
        and
        > stipulate that anybody may answer except Thou.
        >
        > Thy servant
      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
          Oh Gawd, ref my previous post. Life is NOT permanent!!! Blanikdog.

          wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "monckza" <jpot@a...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > If I use the same still to distill whiskey and essential oils,
          will
          > > essential oils affect the taste of whiskey.
          > >
          > > Johan
          > >

          > 3 questions.
          >
          > Don't you clean between runs?
          > Have you not found this answer in 3 years on these forums?
          > Is it a slow day at Oak Avenue??
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

          Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china
          Organizational culture Culture change Cell culture

          SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
          http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
          IRC server tessnet.cx