Re: Will essential oil affect my whiskey flavour?

  • monckza
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
      Sorry Your Highness. I apologise for having asked this absolutely
      stupid question. I did not intend for Your Highness to answer me.
      My question was actually aimed at someone who does not mind
      communicating in a civilised manner with an idiot.

      I promise, next time I ask a stupid question to be very specific and
      stipulate that anybody may answer except Thou.

      Thy servant

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
      wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "monckza" <jpot@a...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > If I use the same still to distill whiskey and essential oils,
      will
      > > essential oils affect the taste of whiskey.
      > >
      > > Johan
      > >

      > 3 questions.
      >
      > Don't you clean between runs?
      > Have you not found this answer in 3 years on these forums?
      > Is it a slow day at Oak Avenue??
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

    • Dean Thomas
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hi Johan,

        I'm not sure about essential oils but (I up to now have only done sugar
        washes) I normally flush with hot water between runs. I imagine that if
        you were to flush with vinegar and water then hot water that should take
        care of it?

        My other thought is that during the next use the first few 100ml of
        heads would also do a good job of eliminating the oils before the run, a
        big factor in this approach is the boiling point of the essential oil.
        In the long run I personally would just make another still that way it
        isn't an issue.

        I'm sure that someone will chip in if I'm wrong on any of the above.

        Dean.

        P.s. I did a five minute search of the archives and didn't find anything
        specific on essential oil tainting the next run and how to solve it but
        that doesn't mean its not there it was only a quick glimpse after all.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
          If my manner seemed abrupt, then in my defense it is because of the
          proliferation of garbage we're getting lately from trolls , spammers
          & spoofers. It falls to me to block this crap. Your post just
          struck me as very odd for a person who's been distilling as long as
          yourself. If I was in error, then I apologise and publicly. If
          not, well...

          ---------------------------------

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "monckza" <jpot@a...> wrote:

          > Sorry Your Highness. I apologise for having asked this absolutely
          > stupid question. I did not intend for Your Highness to answer me.
          > My question was actually aimed at someone who does not mind
          > communicating in a civilised manner with an idiot.
          >
          > I promise, next time I ask a stupid question to be very specific
          and
          > stipulate that anybody may answer except Thou.
          >
          > Thy servant
        • sonum norbu
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
            Oh Gawd, ref my previous post. Life is NOT permanent!!! Blanikdog.

            wrote:

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "monckza" <jpot@a...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > If I use the same still to distill whiskey and essential oils,
            will
            > > essential oils affect the taste of whiskey.
            > >
            > > Johan
            > >

            > 3 questions.
            >
            > Don't you clean between runs?
            > Have you not found this answer in 3 years on these forums?
            > Is it a slow day at Oak Avenue??
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

            Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china
            Organizational culture Culture change Cell culture

            SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
            http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
            IRC server tessnet.cx