RE: [new_distillers] Carbon Filtering Plan

  • Frederick Christiansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
      Nodor,

      I have used this method for some time now and I am happy with the results. I
      have a 2" copper column approximately 1 meter in length, the top has two
      needle valves on 1/4" copper tube, one to control the alcohol supply input
      and the other to relieve any suction issues that may arise. The bottom has a
      1/2" copper drain tube with an inline valve. I modified my original design
      by placing a reducer in-between the bottom of the tube and the alcohol exit
      tube. By using this 1" to 1/2" reducer I doubled the final filter area. I
      place two regular coffee filters in the bottom, have approximately 8" of
      rolled up cotton canvas above that and the top is filled with carbon. The
      carbon has been washed, boiled and frozen while still wet. This whole thing
      is supplied through a 6L stainless container the rests above this filter
      tube, the alcohol has been diluted down to 40% abv and I discharge into 4L
      glass bottles.

      I best advice is to set the lowest drip rate that you can, it is not
      uncommon for me to take a whole week to drip through a 4L batch. I then past
      it through again for another week. I then gather all the batches, blend
      them altogether for finish bottling.

      After touring the Jack Daniels distillery and finding out that their
      charcoal process involves dripping their alcohol through maple charcoal
      loaded in large vats. From the start of this drip process to the time it
      begins to exit the bottom of the vat it has taken four days. This along with
      Harry's "time on carbon" position has lead me in the direction of very slow
      drips.

      Hope this helps, Derf

      _____

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS