Will essential oil affect my whiskey flavour?

  • monckza
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
      Hi,

      If I use the same still to distill whiskey and essential oils, will
      essential oils affect the taste of whiskey.

      Johan
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "monckza" <jpot@a...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > If I use the same still to distill whiskey and essential oils, will
        > essential oils affect the taste of whiskey.
        >
        > Johan

        3 questions.

        Don't you clean between runs?
        Have you not found this answer in 3 years on these forums?
        Is it a slow day at Oak Avenue??

      • monckza
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
          Sorry Your Highness. I apologise for having asked this absolutely
          stupid question. I did not intend for Your Highness to answer me.
          My question was actually aimed at someone who does not mind
          communicating in a civilised manner with an idiot.

          I promise, next time I ask a stupid question to be very specific and
          stipulate that anybody may answer except Thou.

          Thy servant

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
          wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "monckza" <jpot@a...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > If I use the same still to distill whiskey and essential oils,
          will
          > > essential oils affect the taste of whiskey.
          > >
          > > Johan
          > >

          > 3 questions.
          >
          > Don't you clean between runs?
          > Have you not found this answer in 3 years on these forums?
          > Is it a slow day at Oak Avenue??
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • Dean Thomas
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
            Hi Johan,

            I'm not sure about essential oils but (I up to now have only done sugar
            washes) I normally flush with hot water between runs. I imagine that if
            you were to flush with vinegar and water then hot water that should take
            care of it?

            My other thought is that during the next use the first few 100ml of
            heads would also do a good job of eliminating the oils before the run, a
            big factor in this approach is the boiling point of the essential oil.
            In the long run I personally would just make another still that way it
            isn't an issue.

            I'm sure that someone will chip in if I'm wrong on any of the above.

            Dean.

            P.s. I did a five minute search of the archives and didn't find anything
            specific on essential oil tainting the next run and how to solve it but
            that doesn't mean its not there it was only a quick glimpse after all.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
              If my manner seemed abrupt, then in my defense it is because of the
              proliferation of garbage we're getting lately from trolls , spammers
              & spoofers. It falls to me to block this crap. Your post just
              struck me as very odd for a person who's been distilling as long as
              yourself. If I was in error, then I apologise and publicly. If
              not, well...

              ---------------------------------

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "monckza" <jpot@a...> wrote:

              > Sorry Your Highness. I apologise for having asked this absolutely
              > stupid question. I did not intend for Your Highness to answer me.
              > My question was actually aimed at someone who does not mind
              > communicating in a civilised manner with an idiot.
              >
              > I promise, next time I ask a stupid question to be very specific
              and
              > stipulate that anybody may answer except Thou.
              >
              > Thy servant
            • sonum norbu
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
                Oh Gawd, ref my previous post. Life is NOT permanent!!! Blanikdog.

                wrote:

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "monckza" <jpot@a...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > If I use the same still to distill whiskey and essential oils,
                will
                > > essential oils affect the taste of whiskey.
                > >
                > > Johan
                > >

                > 3 questions.
                >
                > Don't you clean between runs?
                > Have you not found this answer in 3 years on these forums?
                > Is it a slow day at Oak Avenue??
                >

                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

                Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china
                Organizational culture Culture change Cell culture

                SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                IRC server tessnet.cx