Carbon Filtering Questions

  • Carter N/A
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 30, 2005
      Howdy, I have a few questions. I read the ebook on carbon filtering and it
      says to pour water down the carbon filter and then the alcohol and follow
      with water. SO now you are left with a watered down product you spent so
      much time distilling? Is this step supposed to be after a 'stripping run'
      and before a final run?

      Another question, I hear about stripping runs, how do you do that with a
      stillmaker still? Do I just turn up the heat and distill around 190 degrees
      Fahrenheit, instead of slow at 173?
    • BigRon BigRon
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 30, 2005
        Well i don't do stripping runs
        but on the carbon question
        if you measure out how much water you put into it
        and measure how much output you get out of it before you start collecting it should get you close, with little watered down product. I don't use water to start mine, but i don't use a system that large i use my product to start it and then just throw the first bit back through.
        seems to work for me so that is what i stick with, I'm not one to over complicate things

        Carter N/A <htcustom@...> wrote:
        Howdy, I have a few questions. I read the ebook on carbon filtering and it
        says to pour water down the carbon filter and then the alcohol and follow
        with water. SO now you are left with a watered down product you spent so
        much time distilling? Is this step supposed to be after a 'stripping run'
        and before a final run?

        Another question, I hear about stripping runs, how do you do that with a
        stillmaker still? Do I just turn up the heat and distill around 190 degrees
        Fahrenheit, instead of slow at 173?

        ---------------------------------

      • Lindsay Williams
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 30, 2005
          With the filter, I run the watery stuff into a separate container. You
          can detect the etoh coming through by taste or heat. The etoh reacts
          to give off heat in the carbon and you can feel it. At the end, to
          flush the last of the etoh through, I put warm water through, which,
          again, you can detect by feeling the tube.

          Yep the stripping run you just run hard with no reflux and keep it
          going till around 96 deg C.

          Cheers,
          Lindsay.

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 30, 2005
            Oh, so a stripping run in a reflux you don't use the scrubbers or you don't
            use the cooling tubes going through the column? My cooling tubes are
            connected permanently to my condenser, should I cut them so I can run them
            separately?

            Also on reusing the carbon the ebook says to use an electric oven, I have a
            gas oven, I know why not use it but if I boil first would that solve the
            problem of using a gas oven? Or if any one else has a better solution to
            reusing carbon. Thanks for all the replies.

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 30, 2005
              OK. If you just want a stripping run with a reflux column you don't
              need to remove the scrubbers. It is such a pain. Just run flat out.
              Which brings us to the through-column tube. Probably a good idea to be
              able to manage the water through the tube and condenser separately. In
              which case you would run none in the tube and lots in the condenser.

              No, boiling isn't enough. Think about it. If boiling did indeed get
              rid of the adsorbed alcohol we wouldn't need to heat it up dry. The
              fact is, quite high temps, much higher than 100 deg C, are needed to
              expel the trapped stuff. So don't even think of a gas oven!

              As an idea, there is no reason why you couldn't heat it in a pan over
              a gas stove that wasn't enclosed. A BBQ would be a good heat source, too.

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
                Lindsay, thanks for your help. The problem is this, I'm trying to have a
                final yield of 85% ABV, because I'm making Absinthe, SO i don't want to
                water down my distillate too much. With a carbon filter system outlined in
                the ebook I can get away with a little water before and a little water
                after, but homedistiller.org recommends not using too high a strength of
                alcohol as it may leech stuff from the stone carbon? Any suggestions? Thanks

                Also, I bought mine from Brewhaus.com, the 1.7 liter bag, how much alcohol
                will it filter before rejuvenating it?

                Consequently, once I get the info I need I'll probably make 3 filters so I
                can pour in one and then the other then the other, so I get a very clean
                alcohol without having to clean the carbon between each filtering, then just
                clean the carbon all at once.

              • _{*L*}_
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
                  I believe you have a still which shares cooling tubes running through the reflux column and at the same time these tubes support and feed the Liebeg condenser. If this is the case you don't have to "cut" cooling tubes running through the reflux column in order to achieve "stripping" run.
                  I am pretty sure if you adjust the flow of cooling water to a minimum you will get the effect of a stripping run. You don't have to worry about removing scrubbers during stripping run. If you adjust the cooling function properly these scrubbers would not simply act as a reflux medium, in other words they will not function and you will get the column reflux to a minimum.
                  The main target of the stripping run then would be adjusting the cooling flow to a minimum sufficient enough only to condense vapors at the exit. Leave the scrubbers inside the column.
                  On the other hand a better distillation column "design" would greatly simplify your life as a home-distiller.

                  Carter N/A <htcustom@...> wrote:
                  Oh, so a stripping run in a reflux you don't use the scrubbers or you don't
                  use the cooling tubes going through the column? My cooling tubes are
                  connected permanently to my condenser, should I cut them so I can run them
                  separately?

                  Also on reusing the carbon the ebook says to use an electric oven, I have a
                  gas oven, I know why not use it but if I boil first would that solve the
                  problem of using a gas oven? Or if any one else has a better solution to
                  reusing carbon. Thanks for all the replies.

                  >From: "Lindsay Williams" <linw@...>
                  >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Carbon Filtering Questions
                  >Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 03:38:04 -0000
                  >
                  >With the filter, I run the watery stuff into a separate container. You
                  >can detect the etoh coming through by taste or heat. The etoh reacts
                  >to give off heat in the carbon and you can feel it. At the end, to
                  >flush the last of the etoh through, I put warm water through, which,
                  >again, you can detect by feeling the tube.
                  >
                  >Yep the stripping run you just run hard with no reflux and keep it
                  >going till around 96 deg C.
                  >
                  >Cheers,
                  >Lindsay.
                  >
                  >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Carter N/A" <htcustom@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Howdy, I have a few questions. I read the ebook on carbon filtering
                  >and it
                  > > says to pour water down the carbon filter and then the alcohol and
                  >follow
                  > > with water. SO now you are left with a watered down product you
                  >spent so
                  > > much time distilling? Is this step supposed to be after a 'stripping
                  >run'
                  > > and before a final run?
                  > >
                  > > Another question, I hear about stripping runs, how do you do that
                  >with a
                  > > stillmaker still? Do I just turn up the heat and distill around 190
                  >degrees
                  > > Fahrenheit, instead of slow at 173?

                  ---------------------------------

                  _{*L*}_
                  http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                • Carter N/A
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
                    Thanks for the infor, I've read just about everytihng out there that I can
                    find and like most everyone else it's seems a little daunting figuring out
                    what type of still would be best. Bokakob, what would you recommend as a
                    design for a still, please give me a link if you have one. Thanks again.
                    Right now with the Stillmaker still and fast cold running water, with the
                    bottom tube moved to the top as per most people's recommendations, and an
                    insulated column I'm getting 93% ABV no matter what temp I run it between
                    165-178 degrees Fahrenheit, could I impove this and how, with this still
                    that is? I can post a pic if that will help.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
                      Don't get me wrong, I am no great expert on filtering but what I have
                      read will dampen your project as it is always recommended that the
                      etoh be diluted to 50-60% before filtering. Sorry, can't make it
                      otherwise.

                    • Figment
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
                        I'm fairly new to this, but I thought the main reason for the carbon
                        filtering was to remove some of the slightly off flavors and smooth
                        out the overall taste. I've made some absinthe and can't imagine any
                        of the flavors from my sugar runs being discernible over the anise
                        and other herbs used to make the absinthe. Any thoughts to the
                        contrary would be welcome. Maybe I'm missing the boat?

                        -Fig

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams"
                        <linw@x...> wrote:

                        > Don't get me wrong, I am no great expert on filtering but what I
                        have
                        > read will dampen your project as it is always recommended that the
                        > etoh be diluted to 50-60% before filtering. Sorry, can't make it
                        > otherwise.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Lindsay.
                        >
                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Carter N/A"
                        <htcustom@h...> wrote:

                        > > Lindsay, thanks for your help. The problem is this, I'm trying to
                        > have a
                        > > final yield of 85% ABV, because I'm making Absinthe, SO i don't
                        want to
                        > > water down my distillate too much. With a carbon filter system
                        > outlined in
                        > > the ebook I can get away with a little water before and a little
                        water
                        > > after, but homedistiller.org recommends not using too high a
                        > strength of
                        > > alcohol as it may leech stuff from the stone carbon? Any
                        > suggestions? Thanks

                      • Roderick Holmes
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
                          Fig,

                          The flavors in the distillate especially toward the end of the run can taste quite bad and can be tasted in your absinthe though not as bad as in an unflavored batch. This is not an issue if you make your cuts early enough to eliminate the taste of the "tails". I have found that the carbon also makes the final drink "smoother". This is a trait we all want in any drink we make no matter what we flavor it with.

                          Regarding some of the other questions, carbon works best when diluted to 40-60%. If you try to carbon filter at 85% you may find that it does little to improve taste.

                          Roderick