OT Melbourne Cup

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2005
      Well I've had a couple of wee drams and had a think about the cup on
      Tuesday. I Picked Mackybe Diva 2 years ago to win (she did) but she
      got under my guard last year as some of you will remember. This year
      she has to carry a weight record for a mare, and do the impossible of
      winning this race 3 times, IN SUCCESSION. It's never been done before,
      but if ever there was a horse who had the chance, it's Mackybe Diva.
      I've never seen a horse as good as her in my 40 or so years of racing,
      and I've seen some good'uns (Kingston Town, Northerly, Think Big,
      Sunline, Octagonal, Manikato, Leilani, just to name a few).

      So I'll put my money where my mouth is, and declare the Diva a good
      thing. IF there's to be an upset, I have a liking for the Japanese
      horse, Eye Popper. My thoughts are they will run the Quinella (1&2).

      __________________________________
      http://farechase.yahoo.com
    • greg tufts
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
        Harry,,
        I appreciate all of the info I recieve via this group
        and
        distillers groups. However I believe as moderator that
        you have a responsibility to keep off topic traffic to
        minimum, instead of encouraging it by your actions.
        I understand this little horse and pony show is of
        grave significance to those down under, while we in
        other parts of the uncivilised world follow other
        sporting groups, eg MLB, NBA, NFL, CFL, NHL, AHL,
        NASCAR, etc.,and that is just a few I can follow
        from my armchair (Funny I never mentioned golf).
        IMHO traffic is getting too heavy to allow or
        encourage much in the way of OT comments.
        Super Bowl picks anyone ? Cowbows fan here.
        Cheers
        greg
        --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
[...]

        FAQ and other information available at
        http://homedistiller.org

        Corporate culture
        Distillers Business
        culture of china
        Organizational culture
        Culture change
        Cell culture

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
          Greg,
          is this heavy sarcasm, or just ironic that you reply
          to a clearly marked OT post, not directly to the
          author, not even to just one group, but to both
          distillers and new_distillers.
          You don't have to read every post! The subject lines
          are there so that you can use a little judgement to
          discriminate between what you think is worthwhile, and
          what may be utterly irrelevant OT material.
          Personally, I think the traffic is quite high. I also
          think it's really burdonsome that the same old
          questions keep cropping up, that the same irrelevant
          disagreements get argued over, and that the moon isn't
          made of cheese. But I live with it.
          If anything, Harry's post could be taken as a salutary
          lesson on the effects of over consumption of the
          fruits of our labours: that would make it on topic!
          I've now filled up plenty of bandwidth, thrown in yet
          another ot post, and may well get flamed.
          Please flame me directly (not to the group), as we
          need to keep the area clear for fits of genius.
          Cheers,
          Rob.

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          __________________________________
          http://farechase.yahoo.com
        • Dean Thomas
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
            Hi Greg,
            While I can see merit in what you say surely there is room for leniency ?
            The long term members of this group tend to strike up a friendship and
            this group is generally the only place we get to catch up. As long as
            its friendly, a little off topic banter has always been tolerated here
            and that is one of the things that I love about our little community.

            Besides who are we to talk about rules when by participating in the
            hobby that this group is all about most of us are breaking the Law in
            our own country.
            Take a few sips sit back and enjoy one of the few truly friendly places
            left in the world, our group :)

            Dean.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, greg tufts <gregtufts@y...>
              wrote:

              > Harry,,
              > I appreciate all of the info I recieve via this group
              > and
              > distillers groups. However I believe as moderator that
              > you have a responsibility to keep off topic traffic to
              > minimum, instead of encouraging it by your actions.
              > I understand this little horse and pony show is of
              > grave significance to those down under, while we in
              > other parts of the uncivilised world follow other
              > sporting groups, eg MLB, NBA, NFL, CFL, NHL, AHL,
              > NASCAR, etc.,and that is just a few I can follow
              > from my armchair (Funny I never mentioned golf).
              > IMHO traffic is getting too heavy to allow or
              > encourage much in the way of OT comments.
              > Super Bowl picks anyone ? Cowbows fan here.
              > Cheers
              > greg

              Greg,
              I'm sorry you took umbrage at my trivial 'once-a-year' sideline post
              re the Cup.
              I understand your intent with your reply and it does bring up a
              point. So I will explain a few things...

              Unlike most sensible forum software in use today (e.g. phpBB),
              Yahoo! Groups forums does NOT have the facility to divide posts into
              various categories. Therefore we are stuck with all posts appearing
              in the one list.

              There has long been a need for an Off Topic facility, so people
              can 'shoot the breeze' if they wish, also it would make forum
              management AND members much happier if posts could be directed to a
              specific category, such as Technical, Still Building, Still
              Operation, Recipes, etc. (you get the picture).

              Many forums use the etiquette of placing an [OT] warning in the
              subject line. That was the reason I did likewise. It gives people
              the opportunity to read or not as they choose.

              On the subject of Off Topic posts...it was me, yours truly (with
              approval by this groups owners) who formulated the Group Rules in
              the first place. So yes I am very mindful of the rules. To wit...
              RULES OF ENGAGEMENT:
              Rule 3. STAY ON-TOPIC The topic is distilling and related issues.
              Some latitude via general joviality & cameraderie is welcome and
              acceptable.

              I think my post was within the rule's intent. Either that, or
              cameraderie is a dead art (could be too, judging by the state of
              world affairs).

              You will note also the subject of this immediate post has been
              changed, as per Rule 4. It's amazing how many forget, but we
              tolerate it. We also tolerate the the fact that most posters don't
              comply with Rule 5. To wit...

              Rule 5. PLEASE SNIP When replying, use only relevant content of the
              downloaded and 60 excess lines for a one or two word reply is rude.

              Also, there's a few who seem to have skipped Rules 1 & 10 (look 'em
              up).

              Finally, on the subject of traffic getting too heavy. To the
              contrary: traffic has fallen off in BOTH groups to levels of 2
              years ago. Click on the groups 'Home' option and check the messages
              calendar grid.

              Perhaps some people don't agree with the policies. Perhaps the riff-
              raff don't appreciate being moderated. These lists have been
              relatively junk-free for some time now, a vast improvement. But the
              price of freedom is eternal vigilance (Thomas Jefferson). Mr.
              Jefferson also said..."The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
              time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

              If that rubs some people the wrong way, so be it. We can always go
              back to the 'bad old days' of trolls, spamming, email spoofing
              (forgeries) etc. etc. ad infinitum. I could use a holiday.

              p.s.
              People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...
              Distillers msg# 27536

              (not meant to hurt, just a little friendly Aussie 'piss-taking')

            • sonum norbu
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
                What's the problem with a little OT banter? Don't take life so seriously
                you blokes, remember it isn't permanent!!! Blanikdog.

> [...]

                Perhaps some people don't agree with the policies. Perhaps the riff-
                raff don't appreciate being moderated. These lists have been
                relatively junk-free for some time now, a vast improvement. But the
                price of freedom is eternal vigilance (Thomas Jefferson). Mr.
                Jefferson also said..."The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
                time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

                If that rubs some people the wrong way, so be it. We can always go
                back to the 'bad old days' of trolls, spamming, email spoofing
                (forgeries) etc. etc. ad infinitum. I could use a holiday.

                p.s.
                People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...
                Distillers msg# 27536

                (not meant to hurt, just a little friendly Aussie 'piss-taking')

                Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china
                Organizational culture Culture change Cell culture

                SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
                http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
                IRC server tessnet.cx