how long

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2005
      question how long should a 6L valve reflux still take? mine takes
      around 6 hours that normal it returns 500-600mls clean alc at 93%
    • Lindsay Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 24, 2005
        You need to specify the column lgth and diam.

        Cheers,
        Lindsay.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <banditaust@y...> wrote:

        > question how long should a 6L valve reflux still take? mine takes
        > around 6 hours that normal it returns 500-600mls clean alc at 93%

      • Bandit
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 24, 2005
          2" * 1 meter filled with marbles

          Lindsay Williams <linw@...> wrote:You need to specify the column lgth and diam.

          Cheers,
          Lindsay.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <banditaust@y...> wrote:

          > question how long should a 6L valve reflux still take? mine takes
          > around 6 hours that normal it returns 500-600mls clean alc at 93%

          ---------------------------------

        • Lindsay Williams
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 25, 2005
            For a 2" column that is a very slow rate. You should average around
            10+mls/min - you do the maths. I would suggest you chuck the marbles
            and get structured copper mesh. Marbles just don't cut it. This will
            enable you to get 95% at around 10mls/min.

            Cheers,
            Lindsay.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bandit <banditaust@y...> wrote:

            > 2" * 1 meter filled with marbles
            >
            > Lindsay Williams <linw@x...> wrote:You need to specify the column
            lgth and diam.

            > Cheers,
            > Lindsay.
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <banditaust@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > question how long should a 6L valve reflux still take? mine takes
            > > around 6 hours that normal it returns 500-600mls clean alc at 93%

            Service.

            > ---------------------------------

          • emailbenja
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 25, 2005

              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <banditaust@y...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > question how long should a 6L valve reflux still take? mine
              takes > > > around 6 hours that normal it returns 500-600mls clean alc
              at 93%

              Wow thats slow. I run an air cooled natural reflux column, 38x800long,
              and it takes 20 hours to get 3L at 93%. I only put in 300W of power to
              a 600W element. Sounds like you have a major problem somewhere. My
              first guess would have been that there is a blockage of some kind, but
              i assume you have tested this thing, at least with water (even though
              it will give different results, you can still play with reflux etc)
              Second guess would be that your reflux ratio is way too high, but then
              again you are only getting 93%, and i get that by natural reflux in my
              column. third guess is that power is too low- what size element are
              you using again?
              I would seriously be looking at your still and trying to find any
              obvious construction errors, then running water through and seeing
              what the max flow rate you can get is. If its the same as what you are
              getting now, then its a design problem- either reduce the reflux, up
              the rating of the element, or clean the crap outa it and see if it
              improves. Packing may also be an issue, but its not likely.
              hope this gives you some idea
              cheers
              benja