Re: [new_distillers] methonol and stuff??

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2001
      yes, throwing away the first 50ml off of a 20L wash gets rid of most of the
      methanol- with a good column still. With a potstill you may want to increase
      that up to 100ml (per 20L wash). I have tasted potstill alcohol that has
      been made both ways- when only 50ml (per 20L) was thrown out, the stuff was
      very sharp tasting. It became alot smoother when a full 100ml was thrown out
      at the start of the run.
    • auntyethyl@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2001
        Ian is correct in his assuption.
        The amount you toss is directly related to the size of your wash.
        The figure of 50ml per 20/25 ltr wash refers to using a sugar/water
        and Turbo yeast combination in a good Reflux tower.

        When using a pot still the figure increases to 100-200ml per 20/25
        ltr wash.

        This figure also varies between stills and washes.

        A Sugar/water mix with a good turbo yeast produces less 'Volatiles',
        read nasty tasting/smelling components, than say bakers yeast.
        A Wash of corn and beer yeast will also be differnet in the amount of
        volatiles.

        The figures are ball park.

        The real art of the hobby is working out thru experience with your
        brewing skills and distilling skills what works best for your system.

        Remember distilling is the refining of your brewed/fermented wash.

        If you say only tossed 50ml from a 25ltr pot still batch, the
        resulting spirit won't poison you (well not unless you drink it all
        in one sitting) but may have a stronger harsher smell/taste and give
        you a bigger hangover.

        Go with the ball park figures. Yes you can scale them to your boiler
        size, but err to the cautious side, then refine as you do more runs.
        The resultant spirit is cheap enough to make to worry about a few ml
        here or there.
        You're after something 'Better' than you can buy.

        Enjoy
        AuntyEthyl

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • hansjd30@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2001
          I just distilled a wash of 75 liters. It wasn't mine. Made with a
          yeast called alco something
          I put aside the first 400mls (I am probably over cautious,) then
          started keeping the heads. I could not control the temperature
          properly and got this feeling somthing was wrong with the wash.From
          what I could remember the wash smelled OK and it defenitly looked
          OK.I had collected 3 Ltrs when I decided to stop and tip it back into
          the boiler and start again.With a freinds help I took it a lot slower
          this time, (only 2 elements instead of 4)and we took off 2 Ltrs of a
          product that smelled like nail polish remover, and then 1/2 a Ltr of
          a different smelling product that I was told was Iso something
          (hopefully you chemists can give it it's proper names. Now this was
          2.5 Ltrs plus .400mls and the temperature had only now reached 78deg
          on the thermometer. Collected the rest (7Ltrs) but it still had a bad
          smell in it. I am not sure what to do with it but for now I have
          watered it down and put it on carbon.I found out that the wash had
          got some sort of bug in it.
          So I think if you get a good wash to toss the first 50ml will be good
          but if you get a bad wash be carefull and make sure you do get rid of
          all those bad foreshots.
          Hope this helps
          Hans.