Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [new_distillers] Re: Silver Solder

Expand Messages
  • Ian Macsween
    I think it may take a long time but why risk it? ... From: To: Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2001 1:14
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      I think it may take a long time but why risk it?
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <walpole2000@...>
      To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2001 1:14 AM
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Silver Solder


      > umm i don't no where you come from but it is generally known (even by
      > me) that you don't use any lead even in really small amounts because
      > it can cause lead poisoning. I.E. you will eventully die from the
      > lead building up in you!
      >
      >
      >
      > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      > new_distillers-unsubscribe@onelist.com
      >
      >
      >
      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      >
      >
    • ups474@aol.com
      How about lead believed to be one of the causes of the fall of Rome? The lead drinking cups they drank wine out of resulted in the formation of lead acetate
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
      • 0 Attachment
        How about lead believed to be one of the causes of the fall of Rome? The
        lead drinking cups they drank wine out of resulted in the formation of lead
        acetate (the acetic acid came from the wine), a salt that is very toxic to
        the brain. Alcohol and lead are also very attracted to one another- the
        reason you don't see any deaths is because the lead poisoning isn't showing
        up as an acute case (a massive dose all at once)- it is a chronic poisoning
        that results from drinking lead contaminated alcohol. You can make a still
        with leaded solder, drink the spirit, and you will probably not feel
        anything. Lead does not work like that- it is a much slower, nastier poison.
        The fatal dose for absorbed lead is estimated to be 0.5grams. Accumulation
        and toxicity occur if more than 0.5mg per day is absorbed. The half life for
        lead in bone is 32 years, the half life of lead in the kidneys is 7 years.
        Primary symptoms of lead poisoning are gastrointestinal and central nervous
        system disturbances (including encephalopathy) and anemia. Early symptoms
        are loss of appetite, weight loss, constipation, vomitting, fatigue,
        headache, weakness, and loss of recently developed skills. The mortality
        rate in people with lead encephalopathy is about 25%. Half of those who
        survive have PERMANANT MENTAL DETERIORATION!! (souce:
        Handbook of Poisoning by Robert H. Dreisbach and William O. Robertson,
        Appleton medical press, 12th edition, 1987) Does this tell you something?
      • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
        ... Rome? The ... of lead ... toxic to ... the ... showing ... poisoning ... a still ... feel ... nastier poison. ... Accumulation ... half life for ...
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
          > How about lead believed to be one of the causes of the fall of
          Rome? The
          > lead drinking cups they drank wine out of resulted in the formation
          of lead
          > acetate (the acetic acid came from the wine), a salt that is very
          toxic to
          > the brain. Alcohol and lead are also very attracted to one another-
          the
          > reason you don't see any deaths is because the lead poisoning isn't
          showing
          > up as an acute case (a massive dose all at once)- it is a chronic
          poisoning
          > that results from drinking lead contaminated alcohol. You can make
          a still
          > with leaded solder, drink the spirit, and you will probably not
          feel
          > anything. Lead does not work like that- it is a much slower,
          nastier poison.
          > The fatal dose for absorbed lead is estimated to be 0.5grams.
          Accumulation
          > and toxicity occur if more than 0.5mg per day is absorbed. The
          half life for
          > lead in bone is 32 years, the half life of lead in the kidneys is 7
          years.
          > Primary symptoms of lead poisoning are gastrointestinal and central
          nervous
          > system disturbances (including encephalopathy) and anemia. Early
          symptoms
          > are loss of appetite, weight loss, constipation, vomitting,
          fatigue,
          > headache, weakness, and loss of recently developed skills. The
          mortality
          > rate in people with lead encephalopathy is about 25%. Half of
          those who
          > survive have PERMANANT MENTAL DETERIORATION!! (souce:
          > Handbook of Poisoning by Robert H. Dreisbach and William O.
          Robertson,
          > Appleton medical press, 12th edition, 1987) Does this tell you
          something?


          Thanks for that UPS,

          That was exactly what I was looking for :)

          To shed a little more light on what you say about the Romans I can
          recall from my Latin lessons of many years ago that the whole of the
          water irrigation and domestic supply in Rome was using lead piping.
          The latin for lead, Plumbum, is the origin of its chemical periodic
          table symbol of Pb, and also gives us the modern English word Plumber.

          Thanks again for your help.

          Silver solder it is then ;)

          Fizz
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.