Re: [new_distillers] Questions about my wash?

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2001
      Yep.

      walpole2000@... wrote:

      > i set a wash about 4 days ago. In a 20L plastic jerry-can i put 5kg
      > of dissolved white sugar, filled the rest with tap water, then added
      > some ordinary bakers yeast.
      > For the air lock i just drilled a hole in the jerry-can lid and
      > pushed in some 6mm plastic hose and stuck 1 end of it in a cup of
      > water.
      > It bubbles at about a few bubbles every 3 or 4 seconds and that
      > increases to a few bubbles every 1 or 2 seconds during the middle of
      > the day.
      >
      > Does everything sound as it should???

    • Ian Macsween
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2001
        Bakers' yeast is too slow for your purposes. Treat yourself to a packet of
        Turbo yeast, add 8kg sugar, dissolve the sugar in hot tap water, then top up
        you vat to 25lt. When your wash has cooled to 22 c or so, add the Turbo
        yeast and a day later it will be working like crazy. Don't forget to stir
        it every day. You don't need an air lock - just keep it covered! With
        bakers' yeast you will get very low alcohol - with Turbo you can get up to
        20%. Good luck!