dilution

  • vodkadaddy1950
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 8, 2005
      if i have 2 liters of 91% achohol....how many liters of water should i
      dilute it with...thanks scott from dallas
    • kiss my ass
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 8, 2005
        see "proof calc.xls" in the files section...

        Kim

        > if i have 2 liters of 91% achohol....how many liters of water should i
        > dilute it with...thanks scott from dallas

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 8, 2005
          Or you can do this. Actual abv/required abv minus 1 = water required per
          litre. eg 91/40 = 2.275 - 1.000 = 1.275 water to give 40%abv....
          blanikdog

          see "proof calc.xls" in the files section...

          Kim

          > if i have 2 liters of 91% achohol....how many liters of water should i
          > dilute it with...thanks scott from dallas

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
          http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
          IRC server tessnet.cx

        • Adrian Hoffman
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 30, 2010

            SO I’ve been using the formula of:

            Volume of distillate *( %ABV actual/%ABV desired ) – volume of distillate =  volume of distilled water to add

            For some reason it never works and I always need to add more water.

            Is my formula wrong?  Anyone have any ideas?

            Thanks,

            Adrian

          • bigdaddyg851
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 30, 2010
              when i dilute my distillate i use an alcoholmeter and distilled water at 60F and dilute to what ever % i want .I don't know if its right but it works for me ! and i am sure there is a formula !

              bigdaddyg

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Hoffman" <datv@...> wrote:

              > SO I've been using the formula of:
              >

              > Volume of distillate *( %ABV actual/%ABV desired ) - volume of distillate =
              > volume of distilled water to add
              >

              > For some reason it never works and I always need to add more water.
              >

              > Is my formula wrong? Anyone have any ideas?
              >

              > Thanks,
              >
              > Adrian

            • tgfoitwoods
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 30, 2010
                Well, you have the right terms in there, but not quite in the right places, Try this:

                amt water to add = amt distillate (start ABV-final ABV)/final ABV

                As long as you use all the same units (ml, quarts, acre-feet and proof or ABV), it works fine.

                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Hoffman" <datv@...> wrote:

                > SO I've been using the formula of:
                >

                > Volume of distillate *( %ABV actual/%ABV desired ) - volume of distillate =
                > volume of distilled water to add
                >

                > For some reason it never works and I always need to add more water.
                >

                > Is my formula wrong? Anyone have any ideas?
                >

                > Thanks,
                >
                > Adrian

              • rye_junkie1
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 30, 2010
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Hoffman" <datv@...> wrote:

                  > SO I've been using the formula of:
                  >

                  > Volume of distillate *( %ABV actual/%ABV desired ) - volume of distillate = volume of distilled water to add
                  > For some reason it never works and I always need to add more water.
                  Is my formula wrong? Anyone have any ideas?

                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Adrian

                  In addition to the other advice, I am lazy and use this little Gem.
                  http://homedistiller.org/dilute.htm#calc
                  I checked your formula with the one in Smileys book and you are good with the formula. Temperature corrections are a must to make when using a spirit hydrometer. Some hydrometers can be off 5% or more depending on the temp of the distillate and the temp that it is calibrated for. Usually 60 or 68F. Also remember that when you add water to dilute the Spirit the temp rises drastically sometimes 15 degrees or more. This will throw your readings off as well and make it look like you need to add more water when in fact you do not. Say you are shooting for 45% from 90% Spirit. Thats going to be around 50/50. You add your 70F water to your 70F Spirit, shake it up and then check it with your hydrometer But its reading well over 50%. First you think to add water. WRONG. Check the temp. Your new temp is in the 80's. You break out the correction table that came with your hydrometer make the correction and find you are right where you want to be. I got bit by this one more than once in the early days.

                  Mason
                • landrover_ffr
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 31, 2010
                    Hi,
                    Ethanol and water also change total volume when mixed.
                    I show my mates a wee magic trick;
                    1) Measuring out 50ml of high abv spirit (about 94% in my case)
                    2) Measuring out 50ml of water
                    3) Mix them together
                    4) Pour them back into the measuring cylinder.

                    "Hey Presto!" you only have about 95ml of liquid! (I like to call missing 5ml the "Gremlins share")

                    The country boy science behind it is something like...the water starts getting way too cozy with the ethanol and snuggles up tighter to the ethanol than it normally would with it's other water buddies.

                    I've got a program that calculates a some of this stuff. It's about to go open source in the next couple of days, but in the mean time you could check out...

                    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Excess_Volume_Mixture_of_Ethanol_and_Water.png

                    Regards,
                    Mister Sid.
                  • tgfoitwoods
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 31, 2010
                      Hi Mister Sid,

                      You are of course correct about water-ethanol volume addition, a principle I've lived with since my chemistry-major days in the middle of the last century. When I use my formula, it's either to dilute a sample of a potstill fraction to a tasting ABV so the tasters are sipping a (more or less) constant ABV, or to dilute a cask-strength batch to a bottling ABV.

                      In the first case, the final ABV is not terribly critical, and in the second, the delta-ABV is relatively small, say from 55%ABV to 40 or 45% ABV, and any actual ABV error is minor.

                      While I understand my formula is not accurate in a truly universal sense, it's *really* handy for my tasks, and other may also find it so.

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "landrover_ffr" <sid.rains@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > Ethanol and water also change total volume when mixed.
                      > I show my mates a wee magic trick;
                      > 1) Measuring out 50ml of high abv spirit (about 94% in my case)
                      > 2) Measuring out 50ml of water
                      > 3) Mix them together
                      > 4) Pour them back into the measuring cylinder.
                      >
                      > "Hey Presto!" you only have about 95ml of liquid! (I like to call missing 5ml the "Gremlins share")
                      >
                      > The country boy science behind it is something like...the water starts getting way too cozy with the ethanol and snuggles up tighter to the ethanol than it normally would with it's other water buddies.
                      >
                      > I've got a program that calculates a some of this stuff. It's about to go open source in the next couple of days, but in the mean time you could check out...
                      >
                      > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Excess_Volume_Mixture_of_Ethanol_and_Water.png
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Mister Sid.

                    • rosnekcaj
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 31, 2010
                        Mason -

                        I've noticed this too. Why does the temp go up when you dilute?

                        rosnekcaj

                        snip-
                        Also remember that when you add water to dilute the Spirit the temp rises drastically sometimes 15 degrees or more.
                      • Rasputin Paracelsus
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 31, 2010
                          Hi

                          If I remember my high school physics correctly, it's an exothermic
                          reaction, meaning that the bonds between the molecules are loosened, so
                          the corresponding energy is released, resulting in an increase in
                          temperature.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 31, 2010
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@...> wrote:

                            > Hi
                            >
                            > If I remember my high school physics correctly, it's an exothermic
                            > reaction, meaning that the bonds between the molecules are loosened, so
                            > the corresponding energy is released, resulting in an increase in
                            > temperature.

                            > rosnekcaj wrote:
                            > > Mason -
                            > >
                            > > I've noticed this too. Why does the temp go up when you dilute?
                            > >
                            > > rosnekcaj
                            > >
                            > > snip-
                            > > Also remember that when you add water to dilute the Spirit the temp rises drastically sometimes 15 degrees or more.

                            I'm no physics major and dont have a clue as to why it happens. I just know it does. I read about it in the Alaskan Bootleggers Bible. Before that I didnt know why my readings were inconsistent. I always made temp corrections but I also always assumed room temp for both spirit and Distilled water was constant throughout the mix. It is not. As the Bootleggers bible says: The heat generated say that there is some "Hanky Panky" going on between the molecules.

                            Mason
                          • landrover_ffr
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 31, 2010
                              Hi ZB,

                              > In the first case, the final ABV is not terribly critical, and in the >second, the delta-ABV is relatively small, say from 55%ABV to 40 or >45% ABV, and any actual ABV error is minor.

                              I was just adding to the big picture. You're right about the effect not being much with only small changes, but at high abv differences, mixing to 40-50% it can tick ya. Got burnt trying to fill a 20 litre with vodka once. Mixed it, carboned it, bottled it and then had a "who's been at my hooch!" moment.

                              > While I understand my formula is not accurate in a truly universal >sense, it's *really* handy for my tasks, and other may also find it so.

                              Agreed, very handy indeed and I use it too. I also find pearsons square really handy when mixing spirits of different abv's for schnapps experiments.

                              Regards,
                              Sid.
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 31, 2010
                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rosnekcaj" <jensor4@...> wrote:

                                > Mason -
                                >
                                > I've noticed this too. Why does the temp go up when you dilute?
                                >
                                > rosnekcaj
                                >
                                > snip-
                                > Also remember that when you add water to dilute the Spirit the temp rises drastically sometimes 15 degrees or more.

                                Ethanol-water mixtures have less volume than the sum of their individual components at the given fractions. Mixing equal volumes of ethanol and water results in only 1.92 volumes of mixture. Mixing ethanol and water is exothermic (releases heat). At 298 Kelvin (24.85C) up to 777 Joules/mol are set free.

                              • geoff
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 1, 2010

                                  Hi Harry,

                                    I suppose it’s a bit like two sides of a zip fastener meshing together with a nice tight seamless fit but in all three dimensions.  I.e. Up, down, backward, forward, left and right.  And the bit that gets lost is some of the air gap between the zipper teeth.

                                        I know I’m not being very scientific Harry but remember most of us can read all the scientific stuff in the words (but sometimes it’s like reading an end users license agreement on a software programme, just so much gobbly gook ).  Most of us do generally get the drift of what’s being explained and can grasp the end concept.

                                      But if you get in to deep, my eyes start to glaze over (with a 100 yard parade ground stare) and my mind starts drifting off to thinking things like.  How long is it to sippin’ time tonight?

                                       I need everyday things acting as a real world comparison to get a better handle on the concept.  Hence the zipper comparison.  Sorry to be such a pain Harry

                                   Geoff
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 1, 2010
                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Harry,
                                    >
                                    > I suppose it's a bit like two sides of a zip fastener meshing together with a nice tight seamless fit but in all three dimensions. I.e. Up, down, backward, forward, left and right. And the bit that gets lost is some of the air gap between the zipper teeth.
                                    >
                                    > I know I'm not being very scientific Harry but remember most of us can read all the scientific stuff in the words (but sometimes it's like reading an end users license agreement on a software programme, just so much gobbly gook ). Most of us do generally get the drift of what's being explained and can grasp the end concept.
                                    >
                                    > But if you get in to deep, my eyes start to glaze over (with a 100 yard parade ground stare) and my mind starts drifting off to thinking things like. How long is it to sippin' time tonight?
                                    >
                                    > I need everyday things acting as a real world comparison to get a better handle on the concept. Hence the zipper comparison. Sorry to be such a pain Harry
                                    >
                                    > Geoff

                                    Rocks=ethanol molecules
                                    Sand=water molecules

                                    Bucket of rocks. Bucket of sand. Same volumes.
                                    Pour bucket of sand into bucket of rocks & shake. Doesn't overflow the bucket. How's that for an 'everyday thing comparison'? :))

                                  • geoff
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 1, 2010
                                      That'll do for me
                                      Geoff
                                    • Adrian Hoffman
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 1, 2010

                                        Thanks for your help everyone!

                                        > Volume of distillate *( %ABV actual/%ABV desired ) - volume of distillate
                                        = volume of distilled water to add
                                        > For some reason it never works and I always need to add more water.
                                        Is my formula wrong? Anyone have any ideas?

                                        > Thanks,
                                        >
                                        > Adrian

                                        In addition to the other advice, I am lazy and use this little Gem.
                                        http://homedistiller.org/dilute.htm#calc
                                        I checked your formula with the one in Smileys book and you are good with the formula. Temperature corrections are a must to make when using a spirit hydrometer. Some hydrometers can be off 5% or more depending on the temp of the distillate and the temp that it is calibrated for. Usually 60 or 68F. Also remember that when you add water to dilute the Spirit the temp rises drastically sometimes 15 degrees or more. This will throw your readings off as well and make it look like you need to add more water when in fact you do not. Say you are shooting for 45% from 90% Spirit. Thats going to be around 50/50. You add your 70F water to your 70F Spirit, shake it up and then check it with your hydrometer But its reading well over 50%. First you think to add water. WRONG. Check the temp. Your new temp is in the 80's. You break out the correction table that came with your hydrometer make the correction and find you are right where you want to be. I got bit by this one more than once in the early days.

                                        Mason

                                      • edbar44
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 2, 2010
                                          Can't figure this out, hoping to get some help about this.

                                          Started a 27 GALLON sugar wash, 65# of sugar, starting SG was 1.115, not an error, that's what it read, was 28 brix as I recall, used Alcotec 48 and when the SG hit 1.040, I added another 5# of sugar, fermented all the way down to .986 in 9 days, waiting for it to settle now and am wondering what percentage of alcohol is in this wash, 'm thinking between 18-20%, how would I calculate it out anyway?
                                        • rye_junkie1
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 2, 2010
                                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@...> wrote:

                                            > Can't figure this out, hoping to get some help about this.
                                            >
                                            > Started a 27 GALLON sugar wash, 65# of sugar, starting SG was 1.115, not an error, that's what it read, was 28 brix as I recall, used Alcotec 48 and when the SG hit 1.040, I added another 5# of sugar, fermented all the way down to .986 in 9 days, waiting for it to settle now and am wondering what percentage of alcohol is in this wash, 'm thinking between 18-20%, how would I calculate it out anyway?

                                            Try this:
                                            http://www.brewhaus.com/Calculators-C108.aspx
                                            Converting that to 31.75kg and figure 27.5Gal it comes up with 17.9% potential.

                                            Mason
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 2, 2010

                                              Hi Ed,

                                              While your probably going to get cries of "Thats way too much sugar!!!" from some members around here your SG number is pretty accurate.  Using 65 lbs. of sugar in a 27 gallon wash (and unfortunately you didnt specify if it was US gallons or Imperial gallons so i will go with "assuming" your talking US gallons), you can easily calculate the potential alcohol ABV by just converting everything to  grams and liters - ie:

                                              "You require approx 17g of sugar for every %.litre of alcohol you want to make. Eg if you want to make 20L of a 14% alcohol wash, you need 17 x 20 x 14 = 4760g = 4.76 kg of sugar."

                                              Or if you lazy like myself :D, you can just use Tony Ackland's sugar/alcohol calculator found in his Sugar based wash section http://homedistiller.org/wash-sugar.htm  So for the initial 65 lbs. in 27 gallons US, it would be:

                                              sugar made up to total volume
                                              should have an SG and only require of water
                                              and should produce a wash of % alcohol

                                              Now without worrying about the little bit of extra volume differential in the 5 lbs. of added sugar in your wash which would increase your 27 gallons a bit, the calculation would be:

                                              sugar made up to total volume
                                              should have an SG and only require of water
                                              and should produce a wash of % alcohol

                                              Note: the differential 5 lbs. of sugar makes is only about an addtional 1.5 quarts (27.375) or...

                                              sugar made up to total volume
                                              should have an SG and only require of water
                                              and should produce a wash of % alcohol

                                              Easy huh?  Now the bad news.  Potential alcohol means just that (notice the "should" in the above calculations).  There are several factors infuencing the amount of alcohol produced from a given amount of sugar in a given amount of wash.   This is why there are sometimes several different alcohol levels given for a specified brix or SG.  (Yes Ed, here is the YA BUTTS) This is because:

                                              "Potential Alcohol levels vary on the source. This is because the actual quantity of alcohol produced is dependant on the individual yeast strain and fermentation environment. Some sugar is also used by the yeast for growth and production of other compounds, and some alcohol escapes with the carbon dioxide produced during fermentation. The theoretical yield of alcohol from sugar due to alcoholic fermentation (glucose is converted by yeast to ethanol and carbon dioxide) is 51.1% by weight (65 %/volume). However, with these considerations it is closer to 47% by weight (59 %/volume). Jackisch notes that for "red grapes from hot areas" the yield is closer to 43% by weight (54 %/volume) (Modern Winemaking by Philip Jackisch, Cornell University Press, 1985).  "

                                              Now if you use the scales I use for brix or Sg, as stated above from: http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm  for you SG these figures can range  much lower- See below.   Also if you look at Harry Jackson's Wort Chart (also Shown below) you can see quite a difference between his, Tony's Potential ABV and others.

                                              Frankly, while you can use Tony's Specific Gravity numbers, I think his potential alcohol calculation is high and assumes a much higher conversion or attenuation of sugars than most other sources.   So for you 70 lbs. sugar in 27 gallons or about 2.6 lbs per gallon, I would say your Potential ABV is more in the 15% to 16% range.

                                              I will not say "HTH" because its confusing as hell and still bugs me also. LOL.

                                              Vino es Veritas,

                                              Jim aka Waldo.

                                              SGGravityBrixBauméSugarSugar (lb&oz/US gal.) Sugar (lb&oz/Imp. gal.) PA 1 (%)PA 2 (%)PA 3 (%)PA 4 (%)PA 5 (%)
                                              (degrees)(degrees)((SG-1)×220)+1.6g/llbozlboz0.6Br-1F=7.36Br×0.59Br×0.54PA=((Brix-3)×SG)×0.59
                                              1.00001.60.0401010.00.00.90.90
                                              1.00552.70.71702030.60.71.61.50
                                              1.010103.81.43004051.31.42.22.10.5
                                              1.015154.92.14406071.92.02.92.61.1
                                              1.020206.02.85708092.62.73.53.21.8
                                              1.025257.13.570090113.33.44.23.82.5
                                              1.030308.24.2830110133.94.14.84.43.2
                                              1.035359.34.9970130164.64.85.55.03.8
                                              1.0404010.45.6110015125.25.46.15.64.5
                                              1.0454511.56.212310145.96.16.86.25.2
                                              1.0505012.66.913612166.66.87.46.85.9
                                              1.0555513.77.514914187.27.58.17.46.7
                                              1.0606014.88.2163161107.98.28.78.07.4
                                              1.0656515.98.8176171128.58.89.48.68.1
                                              1.0707017.09.4189191149.29.510.09.28.8
                                              1.0757518.110.1202111209.910.210.79.89.6
                                              1.0808019.210.72151132210.510.911.310.410.3
                                              1.0858520.311.32281142511.211.512.011.011.1
                                              1.0909021.411.9242202711.812.212.611.611.8
                                              1.0959522.512.5255222912.512.913.312.112.6
                                              1.10010023.613.12682421113.213.613.912.713.4
                                              1.10510524.713.72822621313.814.314.613.314.1
                                              1.11011025.814.32952721514.514.915.213.914.9
                                              1.11511526.914.9308293115.115.615.914.515.7
                                              1.12012028.015.53212113315.816.316.515.116.5
                                              1.12512529.116.03352133616.517.017.215.717.3
                                              1.13013030.216.63482143817.117.717.816.318.1
                                              1.13513531.317.13613031017.818.318.516.919.0
                                              1.14014032.417.73743231218.419.019.117.519.8
                                              1.14514533.518.33873431419.119.719.818.120.6
                                              1.15015034.618.8401364019.820.420.418.721.4
                                              1.15515535.719.4414374220.421.121.119.322.3
                                              1.16016036.819.9427394421.121.721.719.923.1

                                              http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm

                                              Distillers Wort Chart - Harry Jackson

                                              Hydrometer table
                                              Specific gravity (S.G.)Potential alcohol % vol. Sugar / litre grams

                                               Notes

                                              1.0100.912.5

                                              1.0151.625

                                              1.0202.344

                                              1.0253.057

                                              1.0303.776

                                              1.0354.495

                                              1.0405.1107

                                              1.0455.8120

                                              1.0506.5132

                                              Range average for grain wort

                                              1.0557.2145
                                              1.0607.9157.5

                                              1.0658.6170

                                              1.0709.2182.5

                                              1.0759.9195

                                              1.08010.6208

                                              1.08511.3225

                                              1.09012.0240

                                              1.09512.7252

                                              1.10013.4265

                                              Upper limit for bread yeasts

                                              1.10514.1277

                                              1.11014.9290

                                              1.11515.6302.5

                                              Upper limit for wine yeasts

                                              1.12016.3315

                                              1.12517.0327.5

                                              1.13017.7340

                                              1.13518.4352

                                              Upper limit for turbo yeasts

                                              To set a wort for fermentation:  Use the hydrometer chart and adjust your sugar content for desired potential alcohol and type of yeast used.  After adjustment, take your first hydrometer reading and record it as the Original Gravity (O.G.) figure.

                                              When fermentation is complete, take your second hydrometer reading and record it as the Final Gravity (F.G.) figure.

                                              Using the equation for % Alcohol By Volume, you can calculate the actual alcohol content achieved for the wort.  Compare this to the potential alcohol volume given in the chart, and you will get an idea of how efficient, or otherwise, your attenuation is.

                                              You can also calculate the percentage of Alcohol By Weight which is sometimes used in beer brewing.

                                              Copyright © 2007 H Jackson.  All rights reserved.

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 2, 2010

                                                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@> wrote:
                                                > >

                                                > > Can't figure this out, hoping to get some help about this.
                                                > >
                                                > > Started a 27 GALLON sugar wash, 65# of sugar, starting SG was 1.115, not an error, that's what it read, was 28 brix as I recall, used Alcotec 48 and when the SG hit 1.040, I added another 5# of sugar, fermented all the way down to .986 in 9 days, waiting for it to settle now and am wondering what percentage of alcohol is in this wash, 'm thinking between 18-20%, how would I calculate it out anyway?
                                                > >

                                                > Try this:
                                                > http://www.brewhaus.com/Calculators-C108.aspx
                                                > Converting that to 31.75kg and figure 27.5Gal it comes up with 17.9% potential.
                                                >
                                                > Mason

                                                If you want to do it on your own:
                                                lets say you had 70 pounds of sugar(you did) and you want an 18% wash from that(yall know how I feel about this high gravity crap but I feel like helping a brother out).
                                                18%alcohol x 17(the constant) = 306 Grams/liter
                                                70 / 306 x 120(constant for American) = 27.4509 gallons total volume
                                                For you Metric loving Folk:
                                                70lbs = 31.75kg
                                                18 x 17 = 306
                                                31.75 / 306 x 1000(constant for Metric) = 103.758 liters total volume

                                                Enjoy. You want more than that you got to throw some Cash at the Mikes for "The Compleat Distiller". May be in Harry's library also.

                                                Mason
                                              • Sven
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 3, 2010
                                                  --Hallo new destillers

                                                  hier ist die korrekte Formel zum Verdünnen

                                                  you have 500 ml alkohol with 63,3 %

                                                  you will have 43 % ( fine fruit for instance blacberry )

                                                  HERE NOW THE FORMULA

                                                  W= 500 x ( 63,5- 43 )/43 = 236 ml good water
                                                  ok

                                                  hope my english is ok

                                                  sind deutschsprechende auch dabei würde mich gern anfreunden
                                                  but to english spoken people

                                                  thanks Walter from Hannover Germany
                                                • edbar44
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 4, 2010
                                                    thanks for the info, really appreciate it and as long as I figured I was in the ballpark, I'm quite pleased, waiting for it to settle a little to do a stripping run.

                                                    I've got some experience now and have been getting pretty good product lately. Used a lot of good advice gathered here and on other forums and must say, the best advice was to start with a big pipe if you want to distill. I don't miss those 20 hour runs getting a few liters of good product. I can strip this 27 gallons in 5-6 hours without a problem and a 10 gallon spirit run takes about 8-10 hours netting out 5-6 gallons of product.

                                                    > Hi Ed,
                                                    >
                                                    > While your probably going to get cries of "Thats way too much sugar!!!"
                                                    > from some members around here your SG number is pretty accurate. Using
                                                    > 65 lbs. of sugar in a 27 gallon wash (and unfortunately you didnt
                                                    > specify if it was US gallons or Imperial gallons so i will go with
                                                    > "assuming" your talking US gallons), you can easily calculate the
                                                    > potential alcohol ABV by just converting everything to grams and liters

                                                    > > Can't figure this out, hoping to get some help about this.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Started a 27 GALLON sugar wash, 65# of sugar, starting SG was 1.115,
                                                    > not an error, that's what it read, was 28 brix as I recall, used Alcotec
                                                    > 48 and when the SG hit 1.040, I added another 5# of sugar, fermented all
                                                    > the way down to .986 in 9 days, waiting for it to settle now and am
                                                    > wondering what percentage of alcohol is in this wash, 'm thinking
                                                    > between 18-20%, how would I calculate it out anyway?

                                                  • Geoff
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 4, 2010
                                                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@...> wrote:
                                                      snip

                                                      I've got some experience now and have been getting pretty good product lately. Used a lot of good advice gathered here and on other forums and must say, the best advice was to start with a big pipe if you want to distill. I don't miss those 20 hour runs getting a few liters of good product. I can strip this 27 gallons in 5-6 hours without a problem and a 10 gallon spirit run takes about 8-10 hours netting out 5-6 gallons of product.

                                                      snip

                                                      Hi, Ed and folks,

                                                      I'm yet to figure out whether to make a reflux still (probably. The pot still is great for stripping runs, also for fruit, but for a neutral spirit from sugar wash I think the reflux will be ideal);

                                                      and if so what design to use (probably Bokakob slant plate combined with Vapour Management);

                                                      and what diameter copper column to use (probably three inch, I was lucky enough to get a lot of various sized copper from a scrap merchant about three years ago before the prices went up.)

                                                      So I am especially interested in the experience of people who have made reflux stills with larger columns; diameter, height, how you made it and how you run it and how well it works.

                                                      Ed, could you tell us more about your still?

                                                      And I'd like to hear from others , too, with a bigger still.

                                                      Thanks,

                                                      The Baker