cloudy when diluted

  • vodkadaddy1950
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2005
      i just made my 1st batch of vodka....it came out of the still crystal
      clear but then became cloudy when diluted with water....do you filter
      after the dilution or before....why did it become cloudy when mixed
      with water....need help...scott from dallas
    • BigRon BigRon
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2005
        Scott
        mine does the same, and I use distilled water, It usualy goes away when it mixes for a while. I filter mine and it comes out fine after that. It isnt that uncommon.

        vodkadaddy1950 <jscott315@...> wrote:
        i just made my 1st batch of vodka....it came out of the still crystal
        clear but then became cloudy when diluted with water....do you filter
        after the dilution or before....why did it become cloudy when mixed
        with water....need help...scott from dallas

        Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china Organizational culture Culture change Organization culture

      • vodkadaddy1950
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2005
          thanks ron....have you ever tried filtering with a "brita" pitcher
          thanks scott from dallas--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com,
          BigRon BigRon <rrp333ron@y...> wrote:

          > Scott
          > mine does the same, and I use distilled water, It usualy goes
          away when it mixes for a while. I filter mine and it comes out fine
          after that. It isnt that uncommon.

          > vodkadaddy1950 <jscott315@c...> wrote:
          > i just made my 1st batch of vodka....it came out of the still
          crystal
          > clear but then became cloudy when diluted with water....do you
          filter
          > after the dilution or before....why did it become cloudy when
          mixed
          > with water....need help...scott from dallas

          > Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china
          Organizational culture Culture change Organization culture

          Service.

        • BigRon BigRon
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2005
            I tried it once but i left it at full strength and it did real funky things to my pitcher and filter ( it ate the plastic and warped it) so i figured out i had better get the right stuff to do it right or i would be drinking whatever it could leach out of the plastic. if you try it make sure it isnt to high strength but it should work.

            vodkadaddy1950 <jscott315@...> wrote:
            thanks ron....have you ever tried filtering with a "brita" pitcher
            thanks scott from dallas--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com,
            BigRon BigRon <rrp333ron@y...> wrote:

            > Scott
            > mine does the same, and I use distilled water, It usualy goes
            away when it mixes for a while. I filter mine and it comes out fine
            after that. It isnt that uncommon.

            > vodkadaddy1950 <jscott315@c...> wrote:
            > i just made my 1st batch of vodka....it came out of the still
            crystal
            > clear but then became cloudy when diluted with water....do you
            filter
            > after the dilution or before....why did it become cloudy when
            mixed
            > with water....need help...scott from dallas

            > Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china
            Organizational culture Culture change Organization culture

            Service.

            Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china Organizational culture Culture change Organization culture

          • Brewhaus
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2005
              This is nearly always caused by minerals in the water that are soluble in
              the water, but not soluble in alcohol. When introduced to alcohol, these
              minerals come out of solution and make the product cloudy. Some distilled
              water has minerals added back to give the water some life, and will cause
              this same problem. Generally, the cheapest distilled waters do not have any
              added minerals, and will work better for this particular use.

              Rick

              Brewhaus (America) Inc.
              Keller, TX 76248
              (817) 271-8041