Re: [new_distillers] Where should the copper go ?

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
      The malt whisky fermenters and stills in the famed distillers in Scotland are
      entirely of copper in many instances. Vats, lyne arms, condensers, the
      works.
      John V

      fizzynick@... wrote:

      > Hi everybody,
      >
      > I have read in a number of threads the prefernce of using copper in
      > at least part of the still.
      > There seems to be a general feeling that copper enhances the
      > flavour/purity etc of the spirit and if a S/S still is being used
      > many people recommend including copper somewhere in the system.
      >
      > Question is, should the copper come into contact with the ethanol
      > actually IN the wash, or should it be when the ethanol is a vapour
      > (mix the copper bits in with the S/S scrubbers used as packing in the
      > column) ?
      >
      > Cheers all,
      >
      > Fizz

    • D. C.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
        << Question is, should the copper come into contact with the ethanol
        actually IN the wash, or should it be when the ethanol is a vapour (mix the
        copper bits in with the S/S scrubbers used as packing in the column) ? >>

        I have found in my years of distilling, that when the vapor comes in contact
        with copper it imparts a flavor to the final product. I have also found
        that, while it does offer a bit of difference, copper in contact with the
        wash does not have as much of an effect.

        Therefore, due to my experiments and years of working knowledge, I have come
        to the conclusion that in order to gain the desirable flavoring that copper
        adds, it is beneficial to have copper in the area that the most vapor will
        be in contact with it.

        Sincerely,
        David M. Cunningham

        NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
        intended by CWDigiTech for the use of the named individual or entity to
        which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
        otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
        transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
        forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
        telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.