Re: [new_distillers] ? stuck wash

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2001
      Stuck wash?!!  I would say that if your wash is still bubbling, it is still fermenting, albeit perhaps slowly with respect to other runs you may have made.  I call "stuck" literally that - it will NOT ferment - that's 'stuck'.   At this moment I have about 5L of apple cider (the last of 60L) sitting inactive, stuck, despite three attempts to get it going, with new rehydrated yeast each time.  Today I will have another go by pouring it over into another clean container, new yeast, new yeast nutrient.
      John V

      Robert N wrote:

      Hi all, I laid down a wash 8 days ago, using 9kg’s castor sugar, 25Lt’s water, and 1 packet turbo extra (Still Spirits). The air temperature has been between 17oC to 32oC, which makes for fantastic drinking weather, but I digress. I realise that this is at the extreme upper range for the turbo extra but is was 5oC cooler when I made the wash.  The thing is the wash is still bubbling away. It has slowed down quite a lot from the first 3 days. I just took a hydrometer reading and it was 1015, the alcometer was above the zero mark @32oC, even allowing for temperature variation these readings seems to me to be too high. Is it because of the high ambient temperature or is it because of something else? Is there anything I can do to remedy the problem with this wash? Your thoughts?

      Have a great day!

      Robert

    • charles55me@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
        Robert,

        A few points to make:

        9Kgs of Caster Sugar, which is powdered sugar in 25L wash is going to
        make the yeast work/struggle.8Kgs is the recommended sugar amount.
        Dextrose is 9Kgs.
        The turbo extra fires up inside 24hrs with powerful airlock activity
        for 3-4 days. Then slowly down for the net 2-3 days. This varies
        though, such as proper aeration, wash temp, this should be kept at
        25c or less. Yours with an ambient of up to 32c coupled with the rise
        in wash temperature could have left the yeast struggling again or it
        could kill off large amounts of yeast.
        An alcometer is only used for ethenol & water. At gravity of 1015 the
        wash is has significant sugars etc. Your reading doesn't help in my
        humble opinion.Use an alcometer at the distilling stage only.
        Hope this helps

        Graeme

        -- In new_distillers@y..., "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
        > Hi all, I laid down a wash 8 days ago, using 9kg's castor sugar,
        25Lt's
        > water, and 1 packet turbo extra (Still Spirits). The air
        temperature has
        > been between 17oC to 32oC, which makes for fantastic drinking
        weather, but I
        > digress. I realise that this is at the extreme upper range for the
        turbo
        > extra but is was 5oC cooler when I made the wash. The thing is the
        wash is
        > still bubbling away. It has slowed down quite a lot from the first
        3 days. I
        > just took a hydrometer reading and it was 1015, the alcometer was
        above the
        > zero mark @32oC, even allowing for temperature variation these
        readings
        > seems to me to be too high. Is it because of the high ambient
        temperature or
        > is it because of something else? Is there anything I can do to
        remedy the
        > problem with this wash? Your thoughts?
        >
        > Have a great day!
        >
        > Robert
      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2001
          I am confused overf the terms S.G.meter, hydrometer and alcometer. Are these
          all the same thing, or are some different?
          I have a floating device with a paper scale inside it, with 4 scales - 2
          sugars, 1 S.G., and an alcohol scale. I assume that the S.G.scale is the
          principal one, with the others mere calculations from it. Which is it -
          hydrometer, S.G. scale, alcometer?
          JohnV

          charles55me@... wrote:

          > Robert,
          >
          > A few points to make:
          >
          > 9Kgs of Caster Sugar, which is powdered sugar in 25L wash is going to
          > make the yeast work/struggle.8Kgs is the recommended sugar amount.
          > Dextrose is 9Kgs.
          > The turbo extra fires up inside 24hrs with powerful airlock activity
          > for 3-4 days. Then slowly down for the net 2-3 days. This varies
          > though, such as proper aeration, wash temp, this should be kept at
          > 25c or less. Yours with an ambient of up to 32c coupled with the rise
          > in wash temperature could have left the yeast struggling again or it
          > could kill off large amounts of yeast.
          > An alcometer is only used for ethenol & water. At gravity of 1015 the
          > wash is has significant sugars etc. Your reading doesn't help in my
          > humble opinion.Use an alcometer at the distilling stage only.
          > Hope this helps
          >
          > Graeme
          >
          > -- In new_distillers@y..., "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
          > > Hi all, I laid down a wash 8 days ago, using 9kg's castor sugar,
          > 25Lt's
          > > water, and 1 packet turbo extra (Still Spirits). The air
          > temperature has
          > > been between 17oC to 32oC, which makes for fantastic drinking
          > weather, but I
          > > digress. I realise that this is at the extreme upper range for the
          > turbo
          > > extra but is was 5oC cooler when I made the wash. The thing is the
          > wash is
          > > still bubbling away. It has slowed down quite a lot from the first
          > 3 days. I
          > > just took a hydrometer reading and it was 1015, the alcometer was
          > above the
          > > zero mark @32oC, even allowing for temperature variation these
          > readings
          > > seems to me to be too high. Is it because of the high ambient
          > temperature or
          > > is it because of something else? Is there anything I can do to
          > remedy the
          > > problem with this wash? Your thoughts?
          > >
          > > Have a great day!
          > >
          > > Robert

        • Brad McMahon
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2001
            At 12:43 AM 12/5/01, you wrote:
            >I am confused overf the terms S.G.meter, hydrometer and alcometer. Are these
            >all the same thing, or are some different?
            >I have a floating device with a paper scale inside it, with 4 scales - 2
            >sugars, 1 S.G., and an alcohol scale. I assume that the S.G.scale is the
            >principal one, with the others mere calculations from it. Which is it -
            >hydrometer, S.G. scale, alcometer?
            >JohnV

            Just to confuse you, it really is called a saccrometer, because
            it measures sugar concentrations in water.
            Everyone calls it a hydrometer.

            When people are referring to an alcometer they are referring
            to a hydrometer that has a scale from 0-100% concentration of alcohol.
            It is only used in an alcohol/water solution.
            Hydrometers (measuring SG and potential alcohol) are used for
            beer, wine and distiller's washes which are a mix of sugar,water
            and alcohol.

            The alcometer is an essential part of your tool kit.
            If your local homebrew store doesn't carry one, Nth American
            ones generally wont, then get one in from Australia or
            New Zealand where they are readily stocked.

            Brad
          • Rex Nairn
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 5, 2001
              Message: 16
              Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 10:19:39 +1030
              From: Brad McMahon <brad@...>
              Subject: hydrometers

              At 12:43 AM 12/5/01, you wrote:
              >I am confused overf the terms S.G.meter, hydrometer and alcometer. Are
              these
              >all the same thing, or are some different?
              >I have a floating device with a paper scale inside it, with 4 scales - 2
              >sugars, 1 S.G., and an alcohol scale. I assume that the S.G.scale is the
              >principal one, with the others mere calculations from it. Which is it -
              >hydrometer, S.G. scale, alcometer?
              >JohnV

              Just to confuse you, it really is called a saccrometer, because
              it measures sugar concentrations in water.
              Everyone calls it a hydrometer.

              When people are referring to an alcometer they are referring
              to a hydrometer that has a scale from 0-100% concentration of alcohol.
              It is only used in an alcohol/water solution.
              Hydrometers (measuring SG and potential alcohol) are used for
              beer, wine and distiller's washes which are a mix of sugar,water
              and alcohol.

              The alcometer is an essential part of your tool kit.
              If your local homebrew store doesn't carry one, Nth American
              ones generally wont, then get one in from Australia or
              New Zealand where they are readily stocked.

              Brad

              hi john, brad and all,

              i have never heard of a saccrometer but it makes sense for a beer, wine wash
              hydrometer. just thought i would put in my two cents as i have answered this
              question a few times now.

              we use two types of hydrometer.

              1. the beer wine and wash hydrometer (sometimes referred to as an S.G. meter
              or saccrometer {cheers brad})

              this uses a specific gravity (S.G.) scale and measures the sugar content. it
              works on the principle that sugar is thicker than water.
              water should give an S.G. reading of 1.000 but it is important to check the
              temperature that your hydrometer is calibrated to (typically around 20° C)
              adding approximately 27 grams of sugar to a litre (sorry i am a metric boy)
              of water will move the hydrometer from 1.000 to 1.010
              so adding 6.75 kg of sugar to a 25 litre wash should give an S.G. of around
              1.100
              add a yeast and as the yeast turns the sugar to alcohol the S.G. drops back
              to 1.000
              the hydrometer will fall further than 1.000 and should reach 0.990 because
              alcohol is thinner than water and when the sugar has all been used up the
              wash will be at about 15% alcohol by volume.

              2. the spirit hydrometer (sometimes referred to as an alcometer)

              this uses a percentage scale and works on the principle that alcohol is
              thinner than water.
              again you should check the temperature that the hydrometer is calibrated to.
              if your spirit is warmer than that it will give a higher reading than it
              really is.
              thats really all there is to say about the spirit hydrometer (thank god i
              hear you all say!)

              really the key to all this is the point that the wash hydrometer works on
              the principle that sugar is thicker than water and the spirit hydrometer
              works on the principle that alcohol is thinner than water.

              i hope this is of some use.

              cheers

              rex,
            • John Vandermeulen
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 5, 2001
                Rex, Brad,
                thanks for the explanations re hydrometer, SG, sacharometer. I had
                expereienced, but had not realized that the SG dropping below 1.000 is of course
                due to the alcohol having replaced the initial sugar.
                But - you give a separate expl'n for the alcometer. Is that in fact also not
                the same thing? It is still measuring S.G. My small floating hydrometer has 4
                scales in it - one for each, including alcohol. Actually it reads 'potential
                alcohol'.
                More elucidation?
                John V

              • ups474@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 5, 2001
                  A hydrometer is the type of device it is.
                  A Hydrometer that has the S.G. (specific gravity) scale on it, is a
                  hydrometer for measuring the amount of sugar in a mash (the POTENTIAL alcohol
                  that the mash can end up with), an alcometer is a hydrometer that measures
                  the alcohol content of a finished spirit (aka: spirits hydrometer). S.G.,
                  potential alcohol, brix, balling- are measures of sugar dissolved in mash.
                  a Proof and tralle hydrometer measures alcohol in finished spirit. Does
                  that help?
                • Brad McMahon
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 5, 2001
                    At 07:07 AM 12/6/01, you wrote:
                    >Rex, Brad,
                    >thanks for the explanations re hydrometer, SG, sacharometer. I had
                    >expereienced, but had not realized that the SG dropping below 1.000 is of
                    >course
                    >due to the alcohol having replaced the initial sugar.
                    >But - you give a separate expl'n for the alcometer. Is that in fact also not
                    >the same thing? It is still measuring S.G. My small floating hydrometer
                    >has 4
                    >scales in it - one for each, including alcohol. Actually it reads 'potential
                    >alcohol'.
                    >More elucidation?
                    >John V

                    Yep. They of course, measure the same way, the density of the solution.
                    Beer/wine hydrometers measure from 1.120 down to 1.000 or thereabouts
                    depending on the brand of hydrometer you have.

                    The alcometer starts at 1.000 (the gravity of water) and moves down
                    to 0.794 (the gravity of pure ethanol). Of course the stem is graduated
                    from 0 - 100%.

                    So you can see why using the alcometer to measure your wash would
                    be useless and using your hydrometer to measure your distillate
                    wouldn't work too well either.

                    Potential alcohol scale.
                    This is a rough and ready way to calculate the alc./vol of your
                    beer/wine/wash.
                    See that 1.080 is really close to the 10% mark?
                    That means if you had a wine that began fermenting at 1.080 and
                    stopped at 1.000 it would contain roughly 10% alcohol.
                    If it stops higher you subtract the potential alcohol reading from it.
                    So if it stopped at 1.012 you would subtract 2% (see they are nearly lined
                    up on the hydrometer - 1.012 and 2% alcohol).
                    So your wine would be roughly 8% if it started at 1.080 and stopped at 1.012.

                    Makes sense?

                    Cheers,

                    Brad