Re: Is it OK to distill a wash that is still bubbling after a week?

  • philip_crossley
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2005
      Hi All,

      Thanks everyone for all the advice. Once I tested the wash I found
      the SG was 993, so things weren't as bad as I thought. I found that
      filtering through coffee filters hardly made any difference to the
      clarity of the wash. So after waiting for ages for a litre or 2 to be
      filtered, decided to just rack half out of the fermenter into the
      boiler & give it a go as there was very little visible sediment on
      the filter paper.

      After removing the heads, I decided to try a bit of a reflux run &
      see what the output was like before deciding to do a stripping &
      final reflux run or just a reflux run. So once the column got going
      it was really interseting to observe the relationship between column
      temp & rate of output. If I pulled output off too quickly, the column
      temp rose, but by backing off the rate of output I could keep the
      column temp constant & obtain a steady output. After collecting about
      400 - 500ml, I filled a tube with about 100ml of spirit at 25 degrees
      C which tested to be 94 - 95%!! (I'm not exactly sure as the still
      spirits alcometer temp correction chart doesn't extend past 90%.)
      That made me very happy as that was what I'd designed for.

      Robert T you were right, the cooled spirit had a sweet scent & once
      watered down to 40% was surprisingly good!!! Well that did it, the
      whole wash was run through a full reflux run with a final result
      being 3.4litres of 94-95%!! This was all diluted to 40% and several
      bottles of rum, bourbon & scotch were produced. After aging for a
      day, I convinced my wife to try some. She was most surprised & even
      went back for more!

      Special thanks here must go to Tony Ackland, Bokakob & these forums
      for the great info and support which helped immensely.

      Now to put another wash down, & get on with this party!! The next
      wash I'll let ferment right out and carbon treat the output as I want
      to make some liqueurs for christmas.

      Cheers to all.
      Philip