Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Silver Solder

Expand Messages
  • Tarvus
    ... solder ... Hot liquid is more apt than cold liquid to leach lead salts out of soldered joints. Low pH liquid is more apt to leach salts than The vapor
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In new_distillers@y..., fizzynick@y... wrote:

      > What I am looking to establish is if there is the following.
      >
      > Will ethanol (liquid or vapour) leech the lead content of the
      solder
      > any faster than it would in water?
      > Does ethanol react more radically with lead than water does?
      > Will I be more at risk consuming leaded ethanol than I would leaded
      > water from the tap?

      Hot liquid is more apt than cold liquid to leach lead salts out of
      soldered joints. Low pH liquid is more apt to leach salts than The
      vapor won't leach lead, but the liquid will. While I would not use
      lead based solder in any of my still joints, I would be PARTICULARLY
      careful about using it beyond the column where condensation would
      occur and liquid would be in contact with soldered joints.

      Solder is cheap. If you're building a still why take the risk of
      using lead based solder?
    • Ian Macsween
      I think it may take a long time but why risk it? ... From: To: Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2001 1:14
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
      • 0 Attachment
        I think it may take a long time but why risk it?
        ----- Original Message -----
        From: <walpole2000@...>
        To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2001 1:14 AM
        Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Silver Solder


        > umm i don't no where you come from but it is generally known (even by
        > me) that you don't use any lead even in really small amounts because
        > it can cause lead poisoning. I.E. you will eventully die from the
        > lead building up in you!
        >
        >
        >
        > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > new_distillers-unsubscribe@onelist.com
        >
        >
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        >
        >
      • ups474@aol.com
        How about lead believed to be one of the causes of the fall of Rome? The lead drinking cups they drank wine out of resulted in the formation of lead acetate
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
        • 0 Attachment
          How about lead believed to be one of the causes of the fall of Rome? The
          lead drinking cups they drank wine out of resulted in the formation of lead
          acetate (the acetic acid came from the wine), a salt that is very toxic to
          the brain. Alcohol and lead are also very attracted to one another- the
          reason you don't see any deaths is because the lead poisoning isn't showing
          up as an acute case (a massive dose all at once)- it is a chronic poisoning
          that results from drinking lead contaminated alcohol. You can make a still
          with leaded solder, drink the spirit, and you will probably not feel
          anything. Lead does not work like that- it is a much slower, nastier poison.
          The fatal dose for absorbed lead is estimated to be 0.5grams. Accumulation
          and toxicity occur if more than 0.5mg per day is absorbed. The half life for
          lead in bone is 32 years, the half life of lead in the kidneys is 7 years.
          Primary symptoms of lead poisoning are gastrointestinal and central nervous
          system disturbances (including encephalopathy) and anemia. Early symptoms
          are loss of appetite, weight loss, constipation, vomitting, fatigue,
          headache, weakness, and loss of recently developed skills. The mortality
          rate in people with lead encephalopathy is about 25%. Half of those who
          survive have PERMANANT MENTAL DETERIORATION!! (souce:
          Handbook of Poisoning by Robert H. Dreisbach and William O. Robertson,
          Appleton medical press, 12th edition, 1987) Does this tell you something?
        • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
          ... Rome? The ... of lead ... toxic to ... the ... showing ... poisoning ... a still ... feel ... nastier poison. ... Accumulation ... half life for ...
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
            > How about lead believed to be one of the causes of the fall of
            Rome? The
            > lead drinking cups they drank wine out of resulted in the formation
            of lead
            > acetate (the acetic acid came from the wine), a salt that is very
            toxic to
            > the brain. Alcohol and lead are also very attracted to one another-
            the
            > reason you don't see any deaths is because the lead poisoning isn't
            showing
            > up as an acute case (a massive dose all at once)- it is a chronic
            poisoning
            > that results from drinking lead contaminated alcohol. You can make
            a still
            > with leaded solder, drink the spirit, and you will probably not
            feel
            > anything. Lead does not work like that- it is a much slower,
            nastier poison.
            > The fatal dose for absorbed lead is estimated to be 0.5grams.
            Accumulation
            > and toxicity occur if more than 0.5mg per day is absorbed. The
            half life for
            > lead in bone is 32 years, the half life of lead in the kidneys is 7
            years.
            > Primary symptoms of lead poisoning are gastrointestinal and central
            nervous
            > system disturbances (including encephalopathy) and anemia. Early
            symptoms
            > are loss of appetite, weight loss, constipation, vomitting,
            fatigue,
            > headache, weakness, and loss of recently developed skills. The
            mortality
            > rate in people with lead encephalopathy is about 25%. Half of
            those who
            > survive have PERMANANT MENTAL DETERIORATION!! (souce:
            > Handbook of Poisoning by Robert H. Dreisbach and William O.
            Robertson,
            > Appleton medical press, 12th edition, 1987) Does this tell you
            something?


            Thanks for that UPS,

            That was exactly what I was looking for :)

            To shed a little more light on what you say about the Romans I can
            recall from my Latin lessons of many years ago that the whole of the
            water irrigation and domestic supply in Rome was using lead piping.
            The latin for lead, Plumbum, is the origin of its chemical periodic
            table symbol of Pb, and also gives us the modern English word Plumber.

            Thanks again for your help.

            Silver solder it is then ;)

            Fizz
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.