Re: [new_distillers] Re: koji plus microwave cooking grain

  • Roderick Holmes
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2005
      Knarl,

      The ABV is hard to tell since you can't accurately read the specific gravity of the goop before you start. By taste, I would guess it was around 14%. It also depends on the yeast you use. I used a special yeast suggested for sake use. The sourness could be contamination too. After a month of fermenting, there was alcohol in mine but it to was sour. Not drinkable. I ended up distilling it and making "shochu". The paste thinned a bit but not a lot. After this mess, I started making sugar washes and vodka instead. I am revisiting sake again next. It is tough to make. One of the gurus of sake making said if you want to make something easy, do wine, not sake. I'll give it another try....

      Roderick

      dearknarl <dearknarl@...> wrote:
      Hi Roderick,

      What was the %abv of the sake that you managed to separate from the
      glue? My mash (is it called a mash when it's fermenting and mashing
      at once?) has thinned greatly from the thick porridge it once was,
      and it's only been ~40hrs. I was hoping that most of the gelatinous
      goop would be converted and fermented away, leaving something that
      might separate easily to avoid scorching when I distill it.

      Maybe it's different making sake because you don't let it ferment
      right out to keep sweetness/flavour?

      When I checked it this morning, I found it had grown a fine white
      furry layer on top that I assume is the koji. tastes less starchy and
      more sour now. I can't detect much sweetness through the sourness,
      but there is definitly alcohol there already.

      I should be ok on the temperature as long as the weather stays how it
      has been lately. My place stays cool.

      Cheers,
      knarl.