Re: Silver Solder

  • walpole2000@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
      umm i don't no where you come from but it is generally known (even by
      me) that you don't use any lead even in really small amounts because
      it can cause lead poisoning. I.E. you will eventully die from the
      lead building up in you!
    • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
        --- In new_distillers@y..., walpole2000@h... wrote:
        > umm i don't no where you come from but it is generally known (even
        by
        > me) that you don't use any lead even in really small amounts
        because
        > it can cause lead poisoning. I.E. you will eventully die from the
        > lead building up in you!

        Sorry all, maybe I should clarify (unlike my washes ;) )

        My question is based on the fact that it has only been in the last 15
        years that potable (lead-free) fittings have been introlduced and
        made compulsary in domestic plumbing.

        In 99% of homes in the UK the old lead-rich plumbing has not been
        removed or replaced, therefore, 99% of all homes are using leaded
        fittings and solder in the main water supply. Some older houses are
        even still supplied my a main lead water pipe !!!!

        As the lead is already in the water supply my question revolves
        around the fact that I have yet to be able to find an evidence that
        lead enriched ethanol would be any more harmful to me than a glass of
        tap water.

        What I am looking to establish is if there is the following.

        Will ethanol (liquid or vapour) leech the lead content of the solder
        any faster than it would in water?
        Does ethanol react more radically with lead than water does?
        Will I be more at risk consuming leaded ethanol than I would leaded
        water from the tap?

        Hope this tidies up my question a bit.

        Thanks

        Fizz
      • Tarvus
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
          --- In new_distillers@y..., fizzynick@y... wrote:

          > What I am looking to establish is if there is the following.
          >
          > Will ethanol (liquid or vapour) leech the lead content of the
          solder
          > any faster than it would in water?
          > Does ethanol react more radically with lead than water does?
          > Will I be more at risk consuming leaded ethanol than I would leaded
          > water from the tap?

          Hot liquid is more apt than cold liquid to leach lead salts out of
          soldered joints. Low pH liquid is more apt to leach salts than The
          vapor won't leach lead, but the liquid will. While I would not use
          lead based solder in any of my still joints, I would be PARTICULARLY
          careful about using it beyond the column where condensation would
          occur and liquid would be in contact with soldered joints.

          Solder is cheap. If you're building a still why take the risk of
          using lead based solder?
        • Ian Macsween
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
            I think it may take a long time but why risk it?
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
              How about lead believed to be one of the causes of the fall of Rome? The
              lead drinking cups they drank wine out of resulted in the formation of lead
              acetate (the acetic acid came from the wine), a salt that is very toxic to
              the brain. Alcohol and lead are also very attracted to one another- the
              reason you don't see any deaths is because the lead poisoning isn't showing
              up as an acute case (a massive dose all at once)- it is a chronic poisoning
              that results from drinking lead contaminated alcohol. You can make a still
              with leaded solder, drink the spirit, and you will probably not feel
              anything. Lead does not work like that- it is a much slower, nastier poison.
              The fatal dose for absorbed lead is estimated to be 0.5grams. Accumulation
              and toxicity occur if more than 0.5mg per day is absorbed. The half life for
              lead in bone is 32 years, the half life of lead in the kidneys is 7 years.
              Primary symptoms of lead poisoning are gastrointestinal and central nervous
              system disturbances (including encephalopathy) and anemia. Early symptoms
              are loss of appetite, weight loss, constipation, vomitting, fatigue,
              headache, weakness, and loss of recently developed skills. The mortality
              rate in people with lead encephalopathy is about 25%. Half of those who
              survive have PERMANANT MENTAL DETERIORATION!! (souce:
              Handbook of Poisoning by Robert H. Dreisbach and William O. Robertson,
              Appleton medical press, 12th edition, 1987) Does this tell you something?
            • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
                --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
                > How about lead believed to be one of the causes of the fall of
                Rome? The
                > lead drinking cups they drank wine out of resulted in the formation
                of lead
                > acetate (the acetic acid came from the wine), a salt that is very
                toxic to
                > the brain. Alcohol and lead are also very attracted to one another-
                the
                > reason you don't see any deaths is because the lead poisoning isn't
                showing
                > up as an acute case (a massive dose all at once)- it is a chronic
                poisoning
                > that results from drinking lead contaminated alcohol. You can make
                a still
                > with leaded solder, drink the spirit, and you will probably not
                feel
                > anything. Lead does not work like that- it is a much slower,
                nastier poison.
                > The fatal dose for absorbed lead is estimated to be 0.5grams.
                Accumulation
                > and toxicity occur if more than 0.5mg per day is absorbed. The
                half life for
                > lead in bone is 32 years, the half life of lead in the kidneys is 7
                years.
                > Primary symptoms of lead poisoning are gastrointestinal and central
                nervous
                > system disturbances (including encephalopathy) and anemia. Early
                symptoms
                > are loss of appetite, weight loss, constipation, vomitting,
                fatigue,
                > headache, weakness, and loss of recently developed skills. The
                mortality
                > rate in people with lead encephalopathy is about 25%. Half of
                those who
                > survive have PERMANANT MENTAL DETERIORATION!! (souce:
                > Handbook of Poisoning by Robert H. Dreisbach and William O.
                Robertson,
                > Appleton medical press, 12th edition, 1987) Does this tell you
                something?

                Thanks for that UPS,

                That was exactly what I was looking for :)

                To shed a little more light on what you say about the Romans I can
                recall from my Latin lessons of many years ago that the whole of the
                water irrigation and domestic supply in Rome was using lead piping.
                The latin for lead, Plumbum, is the origin of its chemical periodic
                table symbol of Pb, and also gives us the modern English word Plumber.

                Thanks again for your help.

                Silver solder it is then ;)

                Fizz