Re: fermentation expectations

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bandit <banditaust@y...> wrote:
      > make sure the lid is airtight, is the temp at right temp

      Bandit's got it right. If you've got 'fizzing' but no bubbling at the
      airlock, then your fermenter lid seal is leaking gas. Either replace
      the seal, or smear it with a little vegetable oil then screw it down
      (not too tight, just enough for the airlock to start bubbling).

    • sonum norbu
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
        Patience is a thing that has to cultivated in this silly business. :)
        I'll bet it's working now. Blanikdog

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
          I'm quite new at this also as my past endeavors have been concentrated on
          beer and wine. From Scots description, I seem to do exactly as he does
          and get spectacular results. I use boiling water to dissolve the sugar,
          top it up with cold water giving a temp of about 26c and toss in the SS
          turbo yeast. Put the whole shebang into my tea chest fermentation box and
          WHAMMMMO!!! The og is around 130 and a week later it's 0.99 or less. It's
          always a bit slow to start a heavy ferment so maybe next time I'll add
          more boiling water to start it faster however, I do need time to get it
          from the house to the shed. :) Maybe it is a temp problem he has as our
          ambient temp seldom goes below 18c at this time of the year. There is
          nothing more frustrating than waiting for a ferment to start!!!!!!!
          blanikdog