Re: fermentation expectations

  • Lindsay Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
      Like Derek says, your problem will be too cold a start. You need to
      follow ALL the instructions and especially the temp related ones. It
      is very important to pitch at the optimum temperature as this gets it
      multiplying and producing gas at a rate that prevents other organisms
      from taking hold. Turbo yeast always works if you follow directions -
      mine starts bubbling after 10 min! With mine (Still Spirits), it is
      made to be pitched at 30 deg C and run at around 22-25 deg.

      Another point, I presume you are using a high alcohol tolerant type
      because 8kg of sugar is a bit too high for the standard pack.

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkadaddy1950"
      <jscott315@c...> wrote:
      > what can i expect from the fermenting process....maybe i am to
      > impatient....i have used 8 kg of sugar (completely disolved in 10 ltrs
      > of warm water) ....i filled my fermenting bucket to 25 ltrs cold water
      > with a spray nozzle to get plenty of air in the water...then poured in
      > a pack of turbo yeast and stirred for 1 minute like the directions say
      > to do....this was done 24 hrs ago and nothing seems to be
      > happening...could i have done something wrong....
      > please help, scott from dallas
    • Bandit
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
        make sure the lid is airtight, is the temp at right temp

        vodkadaddy1950 <jscott315@...> wrote:what can i expect from the fermenting process....maybe i am to

        ---------------------------------

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bandit <banditaust@y...> wrote:
          > make sure the lid is airtight, is the temp at right temp

          Bandit's got it right. If you've got 'fizzing' but no bubbling at the
          airlock, then your fermenter lid seal is leaking gas. Either replace
          the seal, or smear it with a little vegetable oil then screw it down
          (not too tight, just enough for the airlock to start bubbling).

        • sonum norbu
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
            Patience is a thing that has to cultivated in this silly business. :)
            I'll bet it's working now. Blanikdog

            what can i expect from the fermenting process....maybe i am to
            impatient....i have used 8 kg of sugar (completely disolved in 10 ltrs
            of warm water) ....i filled my fermenting bucket to 25 ltrs cold water
            with a spray nozzle to get plenty of air in the water...then poured in
            a pack of turbo yeast and stirred for 1 minute like the directions say
            to do....this was done 24 hrs ago and nothing seems to be
            happening...could i have done something wrong....
            please help, scott from dallas

            SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
            http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
            IRC server tessnet.cx

          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
              I'm quite new at this also as my past endeavors have been concentrated on
              beer and wine. From Scots description, I seem to do exactly as he does
              and get spectacular results. I use boiling water to dissolve the sugar,
              top it up with cold water giving a temp of about 26c and toss in the SS
              turbo yeast. Put the whole shebang into my tea chest fermentation box and
              WHAMMMMO!!! The og is around 130 and a week later it's 0.99 or less. It's
              always a bit slow to start a heavy ferment so maybe next time I'll add
              more boiling water to start it faster however, I do need time to get it
              from the house to the shed. :) Maybe it is a temp problem he has as our
              ambient temp seldom goes below 18c at this time of the year. There is
              nothing more frustrating than waiting for a ferment to start!!!!!!!
              blanikdog