Silver Solder

  • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
      I know the recommendation to use silver solder on copper joints makes
      a lot of sense as far as avoiding lead contamination is concerned,
      but is it really necessary to throw away your old solder and go out
      and buy silver solder to replace it?

      Is ethanol an attractant of lead?
      Will the small amount of lead really do any harm?

      I haven't seen any evidence of the contamintion factor of the lead in
      normal solder that would effect distilling in any way.
      Can anyone point me in the direction of a website that can clear this
      up for me please as I can't find anything other than speculation and
      hearsay on this.

      Thanks

      Fizz
    • walpole2000@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
        umm i don't no where you come from but it is generally known (even by
        me) that you don't use any lead even in really small amounts because
        it can cause lead poisoning. I.E. you will eventully die from the
        lead building up in you!
      • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
          --- In new_distillers@y..., walpole2000@h... wrote:
          > umm i don't no where you come from but it is generally known (even
          by
          > me) that you don't use any lead even in really small amounts
          because
          > it can cause lead poisoning. I.E. you will eventully die from the
          > lead building up in you!

          Sorry all, maybe I should clarify (unlike my washes ;) )

          My question is based on the fact that it has only been in the last 15
          years that potable (lead-free) fittings have been introlduced and
          made compulsary in domestic plumbing.

          In 99% of homes in the UK the old lead-rich plumbing has not been
          removed or replaced, therefore, 99% of all homes are using leaded
          fittings and solder in the main water supply. Some older houses are
          even still supplied my a main lead water pipe !!!!

          As the lead is already in the water supply my question revolves
          around the fact that I have yet to be able to find an evidence that
          lead enriched ethanol would be any more harmful to me than a glass of
          tap water.

          What I am looking to establish is if there is the following.

          Will ethanol (liquid or vapour) leech the lead content of the solder
          any faster than it would in water?
          Does ethanol react more radically with lead than water does?
          Will I be more at risk consuming leaded ethanol than I would leaded
          water from the tap?

          Hope this tidies up my question a bit.

          Thanks

          Fizz
        • Tarvus
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
            --- In new_distillers@y..., fizzynick@y... wrote:

            > What I am looking to establish is if there is the following.
            >
            > Will ethanol (liquid or vapour) leech the lead content of the
            solder
            > any faster than it would in water?
            > Does ethanol react more radically with lead than water does?
            > Will I be more at risk consuming leaded ethanol than I would leaded
            > water from the tap?

            Hot liquid is more apt than cold liquid to leach lead salts out of
            soldered joints. Low pH liquid is more apt to leach salts than The
            vapor won't leach lead, but the liquid will. While I would not use
            lead based solder in any of my still joints, I would be PARTICULARLY
            careful about using it beyond the column where condensation would
            occur and liquid would be in contact with soldered joints.

            Solder is cheap. If you're building a still why take the risk of
            using lead based solder?
          • Ian Macsween
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
              I think it may take a long time but why risk it?
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
                How about lead believed to be one of the causes of the fall of Rome? The
                lead drinking cups they drank wine out of resulted in the formation of lead
                acetate (the acetic acid came from the wine), a salt that is very toxic to
                the brain. Alcohol and lead are also very attracted to one another- the
                reason you don't see any deaths is because the lead poisoning isn't showing
                up as an acute case (a massive dose all at once)- it is a chronic poisoning
                that results from drinking lead contaminated alcohol. You can make a still
                with leaded solder, drink the spirit, and you will probably not feel
                anything. Lead does not work like that- it is a much slower, nastier poison.
                The fatal dose for absorbed lead is estimated to be 0.5grams. Accumulation
                and toxicity occur if more than 0.5mg per day is absorbed. The half life for
                lead in bone is 32 years, the half life of lead in the kidneys is 7 years.
                Primary symptoms of lead poisoning are gastrointestinal and central nervous
                system disturbances (including encephalopathy) and anemia. Early symptoms
                are loss of appetite, weight loss, constipation, vomitting, fatigue,
                headache, weakness, and loss of recently developed skills. The mortality
                rate in people with lead encephalopathy is about 25%. Half of those who
                survive have PERMANANT MENTAL DETERIORATION!! (souce:
                Handbook of Poisoning by Robert H. Dreisbach and William O. Robertson,
                Appleton medical press, 12th edition, 1987) Does this tell you something?
              • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
                  --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
                  > How about lead believed to be one of the causes of the fall of
                  Rome? The
                  > lead drinking cups they drank wine out of resulted in the formation
                  of lead
                  > acetate (the acetic acid came from the wine), a salt that is very
                  toxic to
                  > the brain. Alcohol and lead are also very attracted to one another-
                  the
                  > reason you don't see any deaths is because the lead poisoning isn't
                  showing
                  > up as an acute case (a massive dose all at once)- it is a chronic
                  poisoning
                  > that results from drinking lead contaminated alcohol. You can make
                  a still
                  > with leaded solder, drink the spirit, and you will probably not
                  feel
                  > anything. Lead does not work like that- it is a much slower,
                  nastier poison.
                  > The fatal dose for absorbed lead is estimated to be 0.5grams.
                  Accumulation
                  > and toxicity occur if more than 0.5mg per day is absorbed. The
                  half life for
                  > lead in bone is 32 years, the half life of lead in the kidneys is 7
                  years.
                  > Primary symptoms of lead poisoning are gastrointestinal and central
                  nervous
                  > system disturbances (including encephalopathy) and anemia. Early
                  symptoms
                  > are loss of appetite, weight loss, constipation, vomitting,
                  fatigue,
                  > headache, weakness, and loss of recently developed skills. The
                  mortality
                  > rate in people with lead encephalopathy is about 25%. Half of
                  those who
                  > survive have PERMANANT MENTAL DETERIORATION!! (souce:
                  > Handbook of Poisoning by Robert H. Dreisbach and William O.
                  Robertson,
                  > Appleton medical press, 12th edition, 1987) Does this tell you
                  something?

                  Thanks for that UPS,

                  That was exactly what I was looking for :)

                  To shed a little more light on what you say about the Romans I can
                  recall from my Latin lessons of many years ago that the whole of the
                  water irrigation and domestic supply in Rome was using lead piping.
                  The latin for lead, Plumbum, is the origin of its chemical periodic
                  table symbol of Pb, and also gives us the modern English word Plumber.

                  Thanks again for your help.

                  Silver solder it is then ;)

                  Fizz