Re: [new_distillers] I can't find a still!!!!

  • KJH
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2005
      http://homedistiller.org instructions a plenty, do your own thing.
      Ken

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "chuck smith" <longhunter17692002@...>
      To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2005 7:45 AM
      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] I can't find a still!!!!

      > there is a pot still maker in spain
      >
      > riki <righign@...> wrote:Hello!
      > I'm Riccardo, from Italy.
      > I'd like to buy a still to make "grappa" and other distilled by myself
      > but I can't find it here, because low doesn't allowe to buy stills
      > bigger than 3 lt.
      > I'd like to know if I can find one of them in your country (also used
      > ones), or if somebody of you can teach me to build one by myself.
      > I hope you can help me!
      > See you soon, Riccardo.

      > ---------------------------------

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • riki
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2005
        Thank everybody for your answers!!
        Unfortunatly I can't open the web site you gave me...it doesn't work!

        To joe giffen: could you give me the e-mail address of "GAROFOLI
        SPA" (if you know it)?
        Thanks again!
        If you have other advices...I hope you're going to communicate them
        to me! (Sorry for my English...!)
        See you soon, Riccardo!

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KJH" <merlin@b...> wrote:
        > http://homedistiller.org instructions a plenty, do your own
        thing.
        > Ken

        Service.

        > > ---------------------------------

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Wisbey
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2005
          Hi Riccardo.
          I bought a PDA 1 from Amphora-society.com and fitted it to a 50lt. olive oil can. It is not a cheap option, but it works very well. Here in Alba (CN) I can buy the standard copper still for about 100Euro with a 5lt boiler. If you can find a manufacturer of these stills they might be able to make a larger boiler.
          John Wisbey

          e-mail: johnwisbey@...

          www.piedmontproperty.com www.piedmont-holidays.com www.nicltd.co.uk

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
            Hi John!
            Thank you for your answer!
            I know Alba very well...I live not too far from there!
            Then...5 lt. are a few...I'd like a still of at least 10 lt.
            I'm going to look for a bigger one, or for somebody who can modify
            the one you saw in Alba.
            I'm going to tell you something sure as soon as possible.
            Thank you again!
            See you soon, Riccardo

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey"
            <johnwisbey@l...> wrote:
            > Hi Riccardo.
            > I bought a PDA 1 from Amphora-society.com and fitted it to a 50lt.
            olive oil can. It is not a cheap option, but it works very well.
            Here in Alba (CN) I can buy the standard copper still for about
            100Euro with a 5lt boiler. If you can find a manufacturer of these
            stills they might be able to make a larger boiler.
            > John Wisbey
            >
            > e-mail: johnwisbey@l...
            >
            > www.piedmontproperty.com www.piedmont-holidays.com
            www.nicltd.co.uk
          • joeatsalot
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2005
              How do you find the PDA1? Works well? Am I right in thinking it's a
              valved reflux column?

              wrote:
              > Hi Riccardo.
              > I bought a PDA 1 from Amphora-society.com and fitted it to a 50lt.
              olive oil can. It is not a cheap option, but it works very well. Here
              in Alba (CN) I can buy the standard copper still for about 100Euro
              with a 5lt boiler. If you can find a manufacturer of these stills they
              might be able to make a larger boiler.
              > John Wisbey
            • mr done
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                  --- riki <righign@...> wrote:

                  > Hi John!
                  > Thank you for your answer!
                  > I know Alba very well...I live not too far from
                  > there!
                  > Then...5 lt. are a few...I'd like a still of at
                  > least 10 lt.
                  > I'm going to look for a bigger one, or for somebody
                  > who can modify
                  > the one you saw in Alba.
                  > I'm going to tell you something sure as soon as
                  > possible.
                  > Thank you again!
                  > See you soon, Riccardo
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John Wisbey"
                  >
                  > <johnwisbey@l...> wrote:
                  > > Hi Riccardo.
                  > > I bought a PDA 1 from Amphora-society.com and
                  > fitted it to a 50lt.
                  > olive oil can. It is not a cheap option, but it
                  > works very well.
                  > Here in Alba (CN) I can buy the standard copper
                  > still for about
                  > 100Euro with a 5lt boiler. If you can find a
                  > manufacturer of these
                  > stills they might be able to make a larger boiler.
                  > > John Wisbey
                  > >
                  > > e-mail: johnwisbey@l...
                  > >
                  > > www.piedmontproperty.com
                  > www.piedmont-holidays.com
                  > www.nicltd.co.uk

                • mr done
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                    Regards JOhn, If your looking for a still, see the
                    enclosed attachment, it's of a still I'm currently
                    restoring...we are set to craft a top for it of
                    copper, and have a wrought iron bench made for it.
                    It's from the early 1800 circa 1830, from Pittsburgh
                    Pa, and was made by the company of Howard & Rodgers at
                    Front and Second street. It is a beautifully made
                    piece of history and the workmanship is one of a kind.
                    Its a pot still and will have a ball top made (about
                    18" round and approximately a three to four foot spout
                    of copper made to fit) I can provide you further
                    photos should you be interested...You can reach me
                    directly at: marshal7002@...
                    The still is in nearly working order (needs cleaned
                    out and when set the spout need "Set" by tapping the
                    ring around it to seal it. The top is to be crafted
                    by another that fabricates metal for aircraft. It'
                    approximately 80 gallon and weighs about 90 pounds.
                    It's not cheap, as it is a museum piece, in working
                    order. I buy and sell items of rareity, and recently
                    aquired the still in may. and have been researching it
                    and making arrangements to have it restored....further
                    questions should be mailed to me at the above e-mail
                    address thankyou Thom.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                      Thom,
                      In future can you please heed the group rules and keep all commercial
                      transactions out of the messages. It's not that hard to use direct
                      email to the parties concerned. Your cooperation in this matter is
                      appreciated.

                    • abbababbaccc
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 31, 2005
                        http://www.amphora-society.com/ It's a Liquid Management still, said to
                        be the best commercial still nowadays. Valved reflux column is probably
                        the offset head thingie with two control valves. That one is based on
                        LM principle as well, although with slight modifications it can also be
                        used as a reflux management system.

                        - Riku

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "joeatsalot" <joeatsalot@y...>