Re: [new_distillers] Where should the copper go ?

  • G&N
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
      It is easier just to get the copper scrubbers from the supermarket and use
      them in the column ....i have an all S.S still and the copper does produce a
      better smelling spirit ...but after carbon treatment there is know noticable
      differance to the final product ..not that i can tell anyway. Copper is
      supposed to hold the esters and the sulphides in the vapour .

      Glenn
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
        The malt whisky fermenters and stills in the famed distillers in Scotland are
        entirely of copper in many instances. Vats, lyne arms, condensers, the
        works.
        John V

        fizzynick@... wrote:

        > Hi everybody,
        >
        > I have read in a number of threads the prefernce of using copper in
        > at least part of the still.
        > There seems to be a general feeling that copper enhances the
        > flavour/purity etc of the spirit and if a S/S still is being used
        > many people recommend including copper somewhere in the system.
        >
        > Question is, should the copper come into contact with the ethanol
        > actually IN the wash, or should it be when the ethanol is a vapour
        > (mix the copper bits in with the S/S scrubbers used as packing in the
        > column) ?
        >
        > Cheers all,
        >
        > Fizz

      • D. C.
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
          << Question is, should the copper come into contact with the ethanol
          actually IN the wash, or should it be when the ethanol is a vapour (mix the
          copper bits in with the S/S scrubbers used as packing in the column) ? >>

          I have found in my years of distilling, that when the vapor comes in contact
          with copper it imparts a flavor to the final product. I have also found
          that, while it does offer a bit of difference, copper in contact with the
          wash does not have as much of an effect.

          Therefore, due to my experiments and years of working knowledge, I have come
          to the conclusion that in order to gain the desirable flavoring that copper
          adds, it is beneficial to have copper in the area that the most vapor will
          be in contact with it.

          Sincerely,
          David M. Cunningham

          NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
          intended by CWDigiTech for the use of the named individual or entity to
          which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
          otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
          transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
          forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
          telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.