Where should the copper go ?

  • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
      Hi everybody,

      I have read in a number of threads the prefernce of using copper in
      at least part of the still.
      There seems to be a general feeling that copper enhances the
      flavour/purity etc of the spirit and if a S/S still is being used
      many people recommend including copper somewhere in the system.

      Question is, should the copper come into contact with the ethanol
      actually IN the wash, or should it be when the ethanol is a vapour
      (mix the copper bits in with the S/S scrubbers used as packing in the
      column) ?

      Cheers all,

      Fizz
    • G&N
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
        It is easier just to get the copper scrubbers from the supermarket and use
        them in the column ....i have an all S.S still and the copper does produce a
        better smelling spirit ...but after carbon treatment there is know noticable
        differance to the final product ..not that i can tell anyway. Copper is
        supposed to hold the esters and the sulphides in the vapour .

        Glenn
        > I have read in a number of threads the prefernce of using copper in
        > at least part of the still.
        > There seems to be a general feeling that copper enhances the
        > flavour/purity etc of the spirit and if a S/S still is being used
        > many people recommend including copper somewhere in the system.
        >
        > Question is, should the copper come into contact with the ethanol
        > actually IN the wash, or should it be when the ethanol is a vapour
        > (mix the copper bits in with the S/S scrubbers used as packing in the
        > column) ?
        >

        > Cheers all,
        >
        > Fizz

      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
          The malt whisky fermenters and stills in the famed distillers in Scotland are
          entirely of copper in many instances. Vats, lyne arms, condensers, the
          works.
          John V

          fizzynick@... wrote:

          > Hi everybody,
          >
          > I have read in a number of threads the prefernce of using copper in
          > at least part of the still.
          > There seems to be a general feeling that copper enhances the
          > flavour/purity etc of the spirit and if a S/S still is being used
          > many people recommend including copper somewhere in the system.
          >
          > Question is, should the copper come into contact with the ethanol
          > actually IN the wash, or should it be when the ethanol is a vapour
          > (mix the copper bits in with the S/S scrubbers used as packing in the
          > column) ?
          >
          > Cheers all,
          >
          > Fizz

        • D. C.
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
            << Question is, should the copper come into contact with the ethanol
            actually IN the wash, or should it be when the ethanol is a vapour (mix the
            copper bits in with the S/S scrubbers used as packing in the column) ? >>

            I have found in my years of distilling, that when the vapor comes in contact
            with copper it imparts a flavor to the final product. I have also found
            that, while it does offer a bit of difference, copper in contact with the
            wash does not have as much of an effect.

            Therefore, due to my experiments and years of working knowledge, I have come
            to the conclusion that in order to gain the desirable flavoring that copper
            adds, it is beneficial to have copper in the area that the most vapor will
            be in contact with it.

            Sincerely,
            David M. Cunningham

            NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
            intended by CWDigiTech for the use of the named individual or entity to
            which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
            otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
            transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
            forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
            telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.