absinthe

  • sonum norbu
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 27, 2005
      I make gin essence and add to spirit as per Tony's book and it works fine. I've been in the archive and stuff looking at making absinthe just for the hell of it but it all looks too complicated. My question is this, As I am an uncomplicated kind of bloke, is there a way of making absinthe using wormwood etc. and soaking it in alcohol then distilling it in a copper saucepan and wok still the same a gin essence, then adding the end product to spirit to get a presentable absinthe? Blanikdog

      SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
      http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
      IRC server tessnet.cx

      Powered by Outblaze
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 27, 2005
        I don't see any reason why you shouln't try. However,
        you obviously won't get the green colour, and some (or
        many) of the flavours may be high boiling: add water
        to the extract and distil to low abv. That will drive
        some of the heavier fractions over. You might end up
        with milky liquid. Just shake and add to your neutral
        spirit.
        Since absinthe (what I've seen anyway) is green, I'm
        wondering if it isn't just an infusion anyway.
        Anyone know?
        Cheers,
        Rob.

        --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:

        > I make gin essence and add to spirit as per Tony's
        > book and it works fine. I've been in the archive
        > and stuff looking at making absinthe just for the
        > hell of it but it all looks too complicated. My
        > question is this, As I am an uncomplicated kind of
        > bloke, is there a way of making absinthe using
        > wormwood etc. and soaking it in alcohol then
        > distilling it in a copper saucepan and wok still the
        > same a gin essence, then adding the end product to
        > spirit to get a presentable absinthe? Blanikdog
        >

        > "Most of the troubles of the world are caused by
        > human beings". (Shakyamuni Buddha)

        > IRC server tessnet.cx
        >

        > --
        >
        > Powered by Outblaze

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 27, 2005
          Try this link:
          http://www.absinthebuyersguide.com/faq.html
          everything, recipes, why vodka+herbs don't work,
          etc,etc,etc.
          Maybe one for the links Harry?

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:

          > I make gin essence and add to spirit as per Tony's
          > book and it works fine. I've been in the archive
          > and stuff looking at making absinthe just for the
          > hell of it but it all looks too complicated. My
          > question is this, As I am an uncomplicated kind of
          > bloke, is there a way of making absinthe using
          > wormwood etc. and soaking it in alcohol then
          > distilling it in a copper saucepan and wok still the
          > same a gin essence, then adding the end product to
          > spirit to get a presentable absinthe? Blanikdog
          >

          > "Most of the troubles of the world are caused by
          > human beings". (Shakyamuni Buddha)

          > IRC server tessnet.cx
          >

          > --
          >
          > Powered by Outblaze

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • joe giffen
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 27, 2005
            It is possible to just macerate your clear spirit with the botanics for about two weeks then filter. Don,t forget that there are up to 22 herbs in some recipes. Here is one I have tried:-
            35gr.wormwood
            6gr.lemon balm
            25gr.anise seed
            8gr.star anise
            25gr.fennel seed
            3.5gr.coriander
            1.5gr.calamus root
            9gr.hyssop
            The above is mixed with 4ltrs.95abv and left for two weeks with a daily shake, it can then be pot stilled or just filtered.
            You then add:-
            4gr.wormwood
            6gr.mint
            2gr.lemon balm
            2gr.licorice root
            2gr.lemon peel
            leave for four days then filter and bottle
            Good luck
            Joe

            --- sonum norbu <blanik@...> wrote:

            > I make gin essence and add to spirit as per Tony's
            > book and it works fine. I've been in the archive
            > and stuff looking at making absinthe just for the
            > hell of it but it all looks too complicated. My
            > question is this, As I am an uncomplicated kind of
            > bloke, is there a way of making absinthe using
            > wormwood etc. and soaking it in alcohol then
            > distilling it in a copper saucepan and wok still the
            > same a gin essence, then adding the end product to
            > spirit to get a presentable absinthe? Blanikdog
            >

            > "Most of the troubles of the world are caused by
            > human beings". (Shakyamuni Buddha)

            > IRC server tessnet.cx
            >

            > --
            >
            > Powered by Outblaze

            Corporate culture Distillers Business culture of china Organizational culture Culture change Organization culture

          • Figment
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 28, 2005
              Hi, I just finished an Absinthe myself that an absinthe drinkinking
              friend of mine said was one of the very best he's ever tried. The
              best reason for not just macerating the herbs and then drinking the
              result is that wormwood has some very bitter constituents that are
              removed in the distilling process. The color is added by soaking
              more herbs in the distillate. This can then be filtered and consumed
              in whatever way you like. Personally, I would not add wormwood to
              this second maceration either for the same reason you distilled it
              to begin with, to keep out the harsh bitterness. This is just my
              opinion, but the results I've had are very tasty!

              Fig

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@y...>
              wrote:
              > It is possible to just macerate your clear spirit with the
              botanics for about two weeks then filter. Don,t forget that there
              are up to 22 herbs in some recipes. Here is one I have tried:-
              > 35gr.wormwood
              > 6gr.lemon balm
              > 25gr.anise seed
              > 8gr.star anise
              > 25gr.fennel seed
              > 3.5gr.coriander
              > 1.5gr.calamus root
              > 9gr.hyssop
              > The above is mixed with 4ltrs.95abv and left for two weeks with a
              daily shake, it can then be pot stilled or just filtered.
              > You then add:-
              > 4gr.wormwood
              > 6gr.mint
              > 2gr.lemon balm
              > 2gr.licorice root
              > 2gr.lemon peel
              > leave for four days then filter and bottle
              > Good luck
              > Joe

            • sonum norbu
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 28, 2005
                Thanks for all the replies guys. I've almost decided how I'm going ta
                tackle it and will let you all know the result even if it results in
                pouring it all back inot my next wash. Blanikdog

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 13, 2009
                  this was only recipe i got ,absithe is tradtional a herb liquer to some extent so you could dilute with table sugar i suppose, the reason absinthe is originaly so strong in its original form.
                  is becouse of the absinthe tradition of pouring absinthe onto sugar cube then burning then quenching with water also diluteing the sugar at same time.
                  modern day absinthe produced in some countries is weak then it should be,but then people dont know the tradtion of the stuff and just sink it back later with liver failure they say i didnt know you had to dilute.

                • Brian Hopper
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 14, 2009

                    suppose if you used some kind of dextrose sugar it would more sesemble the make up of the grape juice
                    expensive chit though would be million dollar wash, suppose if a person never had acess to grape juice in big qauntities.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 5, 2010
                      helloe peers i get my herbs from spiceworld uk they got everything i think they list about 2-3000 herbs they are cheap their and the site is easy to use.
                      i made absinthe by maceration steeped for 6 days it done the job put the whole mess of herbs and alcafol in the still worked out fantastic coloured it with mint tea bag,
                      i missed out the melissa as didnt want a sleep remedy