? stuck wash

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2001

      Hi all, I laid down a wash 8 days ago, using 9kg’s castor sugar, 25Lt’s water, and 1 packet turbo extra (Still Spirits). The air temperature has been between 17oC to 32oC, which makes for fantastic drinking weather, but I digress. I realise that this is at the extreme upper range for the turbo extra but is was 5oC cooler when I made the wash.  The thing is the wash is still bubbling away. It has slowed down quite a lot from the first 3 days. I just took a hydrometer reading and it was 1015, the alcometer was above the zero mark @32oC, even allowing for temperature variation these readings seems to me to be too high. Is it because of the high ambient temperature or is it because of something else? Is there anything I can do to remedy the problem with this wash? Your thoughts?

      Have a great day!

      Robert

    • G&N
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2001
        It should go down a lot further yet just be patient and wait another 2 to 3 days as the fermention does slowdown considerably in the last few days....when it gets to about 5 bubbles a second it will not fall anymore but give it a few days for the yeast to settle.

        Glenn
        Hi all, I laid down a wash 8 days ago, using 9kg’s castor sugar, 25Lt’s water, and 1 packet turbo extra (Still Spirits). The air temperature has been between 17oC to 32oC, which makes for fantastic drinking weather, but I digress. I realise that this is at the extreme upper range for the turbo extra but is was 5oC cooler when I made the wash.  The thing is the wash is still bubbling away. It has slowed down quite a lot from the first 3 days. I just took a hydrometer reading and it was 1015, the alcometer was above the zero mark @32oC, even allowing for temperature variation these readings seems to me to be too high. Is it because of the high ambient temperature or is it because of something else? Is there anything I can do to remedy the problem with this wash? Your thoughts?

        Have a great day!

        Robert

      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2001
          Stuck wash?!!  I would say that if your wash is still bubbling, it is still fermenting, albeit perhaps slowly with respect to other runs you may have made.  I call "stuck" literally that - it will NOT ferment - that's 'stuck'.   At this moment I have about 5L of apple cider (the last of 60L) sitting inactive, stuck, despite three attempts to get it going, with new rehydrated yeast each time.  Today I will have another go by pouring it over into another clean container, new yeast, new yeast nutrient.
          John V

        • charles55me@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
            Robert,

            A few points to make:

            9Kgs of Caster Sugar, which is powdered sugar in 25L wash is going to
            make the yeast work/struggle.8Kgs is the recommended sugar amount.
            Dextrose is 9Kgs.
            The turbo extra fires up inside 24hrs with powerful airlock activity
            for 3-4 days. Then slowly down for the net 2-3 days. This varies
            though, such as proper aeration, wash temp, this should be kept at
            25c or less. Yours with an ambient of up to 32c coupled with the rise
            in wash temperature could have left the yeast struggling again or it
            could kill off large amounts of yeast.
            An alcometer is only used for ethenol & water. At gravity of 1015 the
            wash is has significant sugars etc. Your reading doesn't help in my
            humble opinion.Use an alcometer at the distilling stage only.
            Hope this helps

            Graeme

            -- In new_distillers@y..., "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
            > Hi all, I laid down a wash 8 days ago, using 9kg's castor sugar,
            25Lt's
            > water, and 1 packet turbo extra (Still Spirits). The air
            temperature has
            > been between 17oC to 32oC, which makes for fantastic drinking
            weather, but I
            > digress. I realise that this is at the extreme upper range for the
            turbo
            > extra but is was 5oC cooler when I made the wash. The thing is the
            wash is
            > still bubbling away. It has slowed down quite a lot from the first
            3 days. I
            > just took a hydrometer reading and it was 1015, the alcometer was
            above the
            > zero mark @32oC, even allowing for temperature variation these
            readings
            > seems to me to be too high. Is it because of the high ambient
            temperature or
            > is it because of something else? Is there anything I can do to
            remedy the
            > problem with this wash? Your thoughts?
            >
            > Have a great day!
            >
            > Robert
          • John Vandermeulen
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2001
              I am confused overf the terms S.G.meter, hydrometer and alcometer. Are these
              all the same thing, or are some different?
              I have a floating device with a paper scale inside it, with 4 scales - 2
              sugars, 1 S.G., and an alcohol scale. I assume that the S.G.scale is the
              principal one, with the others mere calculations from it. Which is it -
              hydrometer, S.G. scale, alcometer?
              JohnV

              charles55me@... wrote:

              > Robert,
              >
              > A few points to make:
              >
              > 9Kgs of Caster Sugar, which is powdered sugar in 25L wash is going to
              > make the yeast work/struggle.8Kgs is the recommended sugar amount.
              > Dextrose is 9Kgs.
              > The turbo extra fires up inside 24hrs with powerful airlock activity
              > for 3-4 days. Then slowly down for the net 2-3 days. This varies
              > though, such as proper aeration, wash temp, this should be kept at
              > 25c or less. Yours with an ambient of up to 32c coupled with the rise
              > in wash temperature could have left the yeast struggling again or it
              > could kill off large amounts of yeast.
              > An alcometer is only used for ethenol & water. At gravity of 1015 the
              > wash is has significant sugars etc. Your reading doesn't help in my
              > humble opinion.Use an alcometer at the distilling stage only.
              > Hope this helps
              >
              > Graeme
              >
              > -- In new_distillers@y..., "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
              > > Hi all, I laid down a wash 8 days ago, using 9kg's castor sugar,
              > 25Lt's
              > > water, and 1 packet turbo extra (Still Spirits). The air
              > temperature has
              > > been between 17oC to 32oC, which makes for fantastic drinking
              > weather, but I
              > > digress. I realise that this is at the extreme upper range for the
              > turbo
              > > extra but is was 5oC cooler when I made the wash. The thing is the
              > wash is
              > > still bubbling away. It has slowed down quite a lot from the first
              > 3 days. I
              > > just took a hydrometer reading and it was 1015, the alcometer was
              > above the
              > > zero mark @32oC, even allowing for temperature variation these
              > readings
              > > seems to me to be too high. Is it because of the high ambient
              > temperature or
              > > is it because of something else? Is there anything I can do to
              > remedy the
              > > problem with this wash? Your thoughts?
              > >
              > > Have a great day!
              > >
              > > Robert

            • Brad McMahon
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2001
                At 12:43 AM 12/5/01, you wrote:
                >I am confused overf the terms S.G.meter, hydrometer and alcometer. Are these
                >all the same thing, or are some different?
                >I have a floating device with a paper scale inside it, with 4 scales - 2
                >sugars, 1 S.G., and an alcohol scale. I assume that the S.G.scale is the
                >principal one, with the others mere calculations from it. Which is it -
                >hydrometer, S.G. scale, alcometer?
                >JohnV

                Just to confuse you, it really is called a saccrometer, because
                it measures sugar concentrations in water.
                Everyone calls it a hydrometer.

                When people are referring to an alcometer they are referring
                to a hydrometer that has a scale from 0-100% concentration of alcohol.
                It is only used in an alcohol/water solution.
                Hydrometers (measuring SG and potential alcohol) are used for
                beer, wine and distiller's washes which are a mix of sugar,water
                and alcohol.

                The alcometer is an essential part of your tool kit.
                If your local homebrew store doesn't carry one, Nth American
                ones generally wont, then get one in from Australia or
                New Zealand where they are readily stocked.

                Brad
              • Rex Nairn
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 5, 2001
                  Message: 16
                  Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 10:19:39 +1030
                  From: Brad McMahon <brad@...>
                  Subject: hydrometers

                  At 12:43 AM 12/5/01, you wrote:
                  >I am confused overf the terms S.G.meter, hydrometer and alcometer. Are
                  these
                  >all the same thing, or are some different?
                  >I have a floating device with a paper scale inside it, with 4 scales - 2
                  >sugars, 1 S.G., and an alcohol scale. I assume that the S.G.scale is the
                  >principal one, with the others mere calculations from it. Which is it -
                  >hydrometer, S.G. scale, alcometer?
                  >JohnV

                  Just to confuse you, it really is called a saccrometer, because
                  it measures sugar concentrations in water.
                  Everyone calls it a hydrometer.

                  When people are referring to an alcometer they are referring
                  to a hydrometer that has a scale from 0-100% concentration of alcohol.
                  It is only used in an alcohol/water solution.
                  Hydrometers (measuring SG and potential alcohol) are used for
                  beer, wine and distiller's washes which are a mix of sugar,water
                  and alcohol.

                  The alcometer is an essential part of your tool kit.
                  If your local homebrew store doesn't carry one, Nth American
                  ones generally wont, then get one in from Australia or
                  New Zealand where they are readily stocked.

                  Brad

                  hi john, brad and all,

                  i have never heard of a saccrometer but it makes sense for a beer, wine wash
                  hydrometer. just thought i would put in my two cents as i have answered this
                  question a few times now.

                  we use two types of hydrometer.

                  1. the beer wine and wash hydrometer (sometimes referred to as an S.G. meter
                  or saccrometer {cheers brad})

                  this uses a specific gravity (S.G.) scale and measures the sugar content. it
                  works on the principle that sugar is thicker than water.
                  water should give an S.G. reading of 1.000 but it is important to check the
                  temperature that your hydrometer is calibrated to (typically around 20° C)
                  adding approximately 27 grams of sugar to a litre (sorry i am a metric boy)
                  of water will move the hydrometer from 1.000 to 1.010
                  so adding 6.75 kg of sugar to a 25 litre wash should give an S.G. of around
                  1.100
                  add a yeast and as the yeast turns the sugar to alcohol the S.G. drops back
                  to 1.000
                  the hydrometer will fall further than 1.000 and should reach 0.990 because
                  alcohol is thinner than water and when the sugar has all been used up the
                  wash will be at about 15% alcohol by volume.

                  2. the spirit hydrometer (sometimes referred to as an alcometer)

                  this uses a percentage scale and works on the principle that alcohol is
                  thinner than water.
                  again you should check the temperature that the hydrometer is calibrated to.
                  if your spirit is warmer than that it will give a higher reading than it
                  really is.
                  thats really all there is to say about the spirit hydrometer (thank god i
                  hear you all say!)

                  really the key to all this is the point that the wash hydrometer works on
                  the principle that sugar is thicker than water and the spirit hydrometer
                  works on the principle that alcohol is thinner than water.

                  i hope this is of some use.

                  cheers

                  rex,
                • John Vandermeulen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 5, 2001
                    Rex, Brad,
                    thanks for the explanations re hydrometer, SG, sacharometer. I had
                    expereienced, but had not realized that the SG dropping below 1.000 is of course
                    due to the alcohol having replaced the initial sugar.
                    But - you give a separate expl'n for the alcometer. Is that in fact also not
                    the same thing? It is still measuring S.G. My small floating hydrometer has 4
                    scales in it - one for each, including alcohol. Actually it reads 'potential
                    alcohol'.
                    More elucidation?
                    John V

                  • ups474@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 5, 2001
                      A hydrometer is the type of device it is.
                      A Hydrometer that has the S.G. (specific gravity) scale on it, is a
                      hydrometer for measuring the amount of sugar in a mash (the POTENTIAL alcohol
                      that the mash can end up with), an alcometer is a hydrometer that measures
                      the alcohol content of a finished spirit (aka: spirits hydrometer). S.G.,
                      potential alcohol, brix, balling- are measures of sugar dissolved in mash.
                      a Proof and tralle hydrometer measures alcohol in finished spirit. Does
                      that help?
                    • Brad McMahon
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 5, 2001
                        At 07:07 AM 12/6/01, you wrote:
                        >Rex, Brad,
                        >thanks for the explanations re hydrometer, SG, sacharometer. I had
                        >expereienced, but had not realized that the SG dropping below 1.000 is of
                        >course
                        >due to the alcohol having replaced the initial sugar.
                        >But - you give a separate expl'n for the alcometer. Is that in fact also not
                        >the same thing? It is still measuring S.G. My small floating hydrometer
                        >has 4
                        >scales in it - one for each, including alcohol. Actually it reads 'potential
                        >alcohol'.
                        >More elucidation?
                        >John V

                        Yep. They of course, measure the same way, the density of the solution.
                        Beer/wine hydrometers measure from 1.120 down to 1.000 or thereabouts
                        depending on the brand of hydrometer you have.

                        The alcometer starts at 1.000 (the gravity of water) and moves down
                        to 0.794 (the gravity of pure ethanol). Of course the stem is graduated
                        from 0 - 100%.

                        So you can see why using the alcometer to measure your wash would
                        be useless and using your hydrometer to measure your distillate
                        wouldn't work too well either.

                        Potential alcohol scale.
                        This is a rough and ready way to calculate the alc./vol of your
                        beer/wine/wash.
                        See that 1.080 is really close to the 10% mark?
                        That means if you had a wine that began fermenting at 1.080 and
                        stopped at 1.000 it would contain roughly 10% alcohol.
                        If it stops higher you subtract the potential alcohol reading from it.
                        So if it stopped at 1.012 you would subtract 2% (see they are nearly lined
                        up on the hydrometer - 1.012 and 2% alcohol).
                        So your wine would be roughly 8% if it started at 1.080 and stopped at 1.012.

                        Makes sense?

                        Cheers,

                        Brad