Re: [new_distillers] methonol and stuff??

  • Ian Macsween
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2001
      I think you should  discard the first "teeny bits" or use it as a cleaning agent...
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2001
        In a sugar based wash there is know methanol just ethel acetate.

        Glenn
        > i have read that by throwing away the first 50ml of a 20L wash you
        > can ensure that you have thrown away almost all of the methonol. I
        > have a pressure cooker pot still and it can only boil a maximum of 2L
        > wash, therefore should i only need to discard the first 5 to 10ml??

      • D. C.
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2001
          << i have read that by throwing away the first 50ml of a 20L wash you can
          ensure that you have thrown away almost all of the methonol. >>

          This amount is the rule of thumb for fractioning/reflux stills. The mount
          that you would want to toss for 20L in a pot still is around 500 ml. This,
          of course, greatly depends on the ingredients that you have used in your
          "brew." If it is just a sugar wash, you can toss out less than the 500ml.

          << I have a pressure cooker pot still and it can only boil a maximum of 2L
          wash, therefore should i only need to discard the first 5 to 10ml?? >>

          My cooker will allow for 3L, but when I'm not doing oils and I'm running
          alcohol, I run 2L. Now taking a clue from the rule of thumb above, 20L = 2L
          (which is what you have) and 500ml = 50ml.
          Of course you may be able to only throw away 20ml depending on your product.

          What I would recommend doing is plan on tossing 50ml, this way you have a
          more realistic view of how much product that you will have let over. However
          when collecting the 50ml heads, I recommend segregating the head collection
          into 5 10ml containers. This way if your product runs a bit more pure, you
          can throw way only what you need to toss. If your product runs a bit on the
          heavy side, you can throw away the whole 50ml lot. Even if this is the case,
          you will be able to see what your still produces and how long it takes for
          the turn over.

          I hope this helps.

          Sincerely,
          David M. Cunningham

          NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
          intended by CWDigiTech for the use of the named individual or entity to
          which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
          otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
          transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
          forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
          telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.
        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2001
            yes, throwing away the first 50ml off of a 20L wash gets rid of most of the
            methanol- with a good column still. With a potstill you may want to increase
            that up to 100ml (per 20L wash). I have tasted potstill alcohol that has
            been made both ways- when only 50ml (per 20L) was thrown out, the stuff was
            very sharp tasting. It became alot smoother when a full 100ml was thrown out
            at the start of the run.
          • auntyethyl@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2001
              Ian is correct in his assuption.
              The amount you toss is directly related to the size of your wash.
              The figure of 50ml per 20/25 ltr wash refers to using a sugar/water
              and Turbo yeast combination in a good Reflux tower.

              When using a pot still the figure increases to 100-200ml per 20/25
              ltr wash.

              This figure also varies between stills and washes.

              A Sugar/water mix with a good turbo yeast produces less 'Volatiles',
              read nasty tasting/smelling components, than say bakers yeast.
              A Wash of corn and beer yeast will also be differnet in the amount of
              volatiles.

              The figures are ball park.

              The real art of the hobby is working out thru experience with your
              brewing skills and distilling skills what works best for your system.

              Remember distilling is the refining of your brewed/fermented wash.

              If you say only tossed 50ml from a 25ltr pot still batch, the
              resulting spirit won't poison you (well not unless you drink it all
              in one sitting) but may have a stronger harsher smell/taste and give
              you a bigger hangover.

              Go with the ball park figures. Yes you can scale them to your boiler
              size, but err to the cautious side, then refine as you do more runs.
              The resultant spirit is cheap enough to make to worry about a few ml
              here or there.
              You're after something 'Better' than you can buy.

              Enjoy
              AuntyEthyl

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • hansjd30@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2001
                I just distilled a wash of 75 liters. It wasn't mine. Made with a
                yeast called alco something
                I put aside the first 400mls (I am probably over cautious,) then
                started keeping the heads. I could not control the temperature
                properly and got this feeling somthing was wrong with the wash.From
                what I could remember the wash smelled OK and it defenitly looked
                OK.I had collected 3 Ltrs when I decided to stop and tip it back into
                the boiler and start again.With a freinds help I took it a lot slower
                this time, (only 2 elements instead of 4)and we took off 2 Ltrs of a
                product that smelled like nail polish remover, and then 1/2 a Ltr of
                a different smelling product that I was told was Iso something
                (hopefully you chemists can give it it's proper names. Now this was
                2.5 Ltrs plus .400mls and the temperature had only now reached 78deg
                on the thermometer. Collected the rest (7Ltrs) but it still had a bad
                smell in it. I am not sure what to do with it but for now I have
                watered it down and put it on carbon.I found out that the wash had
                got some sort of bug in it.
                So I think if you get a good wash to toss the first 50ml will be good
                but if you get a bad wash be carefull and make sure you do get rid of
                all those bad foreshots.
                Hope this helps
                Hans.