Re: [new_distillers] juniper berries

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 11, 2000
      You can order juniper berries at www.penzeys.com It's an American company
      out of Wisconsin. I have ordered from them. They have good products, prices
      and fast service. I use juniper berries by simmering them in 50% vodka for
      ten minutes (with the lid on), then letting it cool overnight on it's own.
      The next day I filter this mess through a couple of coffee filters to get a
      homemade (and better quality) gin essence. I use about 35 grams of juniper
      berries (crushed) and 350ml of vodka- 5ml (one teaspoon) will turn a bottle
      of vodka into a light flavored gin. 10ml make a more traditional, strong
      flavored gin. you can add other spices like cardamom, coriander, and lemon
      peel (about one gram of each) for a more complex flavor in your gin. Using
      10ml makes a straw yellow colored drink. hope this helps.
    • Andy & Shirley Santos
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2000
        Health food stores sell them in packets as well as the oris root and coriander root needed for the gin taste
        Shirl de Santos
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 13, 2000
          Hi I'm new her and mostly listening BUT......

          >You can order juniper berries at www.penzeys.com It's an American company
          >out of Wisconsin.

          Very good call Penzeys. They have unbelivable service, products and people.
          Their catalog is like a wishbook. no I don't own stock :)