distillation

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
      We all know that in distillation for drinking alcohol, one excludes the low
      ends and the high ends, collection only the middle section. But, how can
      one tell whether the final distillate still has in it some unwanted things
      like methanol or fusil oil and congeners? Is there a test, or some trick?
      John V
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
        If you read the last few chapters of most home-brew (beer) books, they
        typically have a section on training your palate to detect more subtle
        flavors in your wine/beer. I used to ignore these sections- not anymore-
        there are some valuable tips in them. Typically, a spirit that is diluted to
        40%abv and held at room temperature, if it has a serious "tails" alcohol
        content- it will be slightly cloudy. If you taste it, and there is any "off"
        flavors (i.e.:something that is not found in the commercial examples of what
        you are making), then there is a chance (if it's not the result of production
        method differences) that some sort of heads/tails alcohol is present. Other
        than sending it to a lab, tasting is the best (and most entertaining) way of
        checking for contaminants.
      • klcampbell
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
          John V,the 2 best tests are your nose and tongue i.e. smell and
          taste.Providing you produce at a steady speed and keep a close watch on your
          tower temperatures you can get the separations spot-on and when you have got
          it right,you will know, hasten slowly,Regards,Ken.

          > We all know that in distillation for drinking alcohol, one excludes the
          low
          > ends and the high ends, collection only the middle section. But, how can
          > one tell whether the final distillate still has in it some unwanted things
          > like methanol or fusil oil and congeners? Is there a test, or some trick?
          > John V

        • klcampbell