Re: [new_distillers] From Moderator: Groups quiet

  • Hello
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
      Hi

      I am newer than new when it come to distilling.
      I know it takes heat and condensation in some applications, but not much more than that.

      Is there a site or a Library that might have the information I can research about the mechanics and the process to distill alcohol?

      Thanks

      Ken

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Hello" <krini1972@e...>
        wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > I am newer than new when it come to distilling.
        > I know it takes heat and condensation in some applications, but
        not much more than that.

        > Is there a site or a Library that might have the information I can
        research about the mechanics and the process to distill alcohol?

        > Thanks
        >
        > Ken

        Is it a slow day in Tampa, Ken? 2 years of daily digests?
        First & only warning. Don't waste my time.

        Your record...

        Yahoo! ID....
        doxem_2000 krini1972@...

        Email Delivery....
        Daily Digest

        Joined....
        Aug 31, 2003

        Details....
        Ken · 51 · Male
        Florida, Tampa

        Activity....
        May 28 2004 Changed email
        from krin1972@...
        to krin1972@...
      • Dean Thomas
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
          Should work now all he needs is a peristalgic pump and some filters.

          Dean

          _{*L*}_ wrote:

          >Derek I posted a simple diagram of a continuous filter here:
          >http://tinyurl.com/7te7y In case the link is not working it is located in the files section of distillers group under my folder.
          >I hope it will give you enough for your next project. If you think it would not work please let me know. Alex...
          >
          >Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
          >I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.... Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan they have built or would like to build? TIA
          >

          >_{*L*}_
          >http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

        • dearknarl
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
            Gday guys,

            I see a potential problem with the design Alex posted. If the
            peristaltic pump is providing a vacuum, then the flexible hose would
            get flattened by atmospheric pressure, would it not?

            You could get a comprimise between the flexibility of the hose and
            pressure, but I would suggest putting the pump between the 'fillup'
            tank and the filters, so it provides positive pressure. That would
            mean you couldn't filter really chunky stuff though.

            Cheers,
            knarl.

            On 9/7/05, Dean Thomas <deanlil@...> wrote:
            > Should work now all he needs is a peristalgic pump and some filters.
            >
            > Dean
            >
            > _{*L*}_ wrote:
            >
            > >Derek I posted a simple diagram of a continuous filter here:
            > >http://tinyurl.com/7te7y In case the link is not working it is located in the files section of distillers group under my folder.
            > >I hope it will give you enough for your next project. If you think it would not work please let me know. Alex...
            > >
            > >Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
            > >I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.... Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan they have built or would like to build? TIA
            > >

            > >_{*L*}_
            > >http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

            > ________________________________
          • Derek Hamlet
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
              I always enjoy Alex' designs. They are creative and after all that
              is what we're here for.
              OTOH, what I really want is an inline aspirator type arrangement that
              allows me to use a compressor to build the flow which creates the
              vacuum; basically a gizmo that does the same thing as a water driven
              aspirator but, using air instead of water.
              I know that I've got a decent pump and I can buy the vacuum aspirator
              for water, but, compressed air is more appealing.
              At 05:03 PM 9/6/05, you wrote:
              >Gday guys,
              >
              >I see a potential problem with the design Alex posted. If the
              >peristaltic pump is providing a vacuum, then the flexible hose would
              >get flattened by atmospheric pressure, would it not?
              >
              >You could get a comprimise between the flexibility of the hose and
              >pressure, but I would suggest putting the pump between the 'fillup'
              >tank and the filters, so it provides positive pressure. That would
              >mean you couldn't filter really chunky stuff though.
              >
              >Cheers,
              >knarl.
              >
              >On 9/7/05, Dean Thomas <deanlil@...> wrote:
              > > Should work now all he needs is a peristalgic pump and some filters.
              > >
              > > Dean
              > >
              > > _{*L*}_ wrote:
              > >
              > > >Derek I posted a simple diagram of a continuous filter here:
              > > >http://tinyurl.com/7te7y In case the link is not working it is
              > located in the files section of distillers group under my folder.
              > > >I hope it will give you enough for your next project. If you
              > think it would not work please let me know. Alex...
              > > >
              > > >Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
              > > >I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't yet come
              > upon a good plan or come up with my own.... Does anyone have a URL
              > site or a drawing of a plan they have built or would like to build? TIA
              > > >

              > > >_{*L*}_
              > > >http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

            • _{*L*}_
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                Sorry, I don't know what "aspiratoir" is. You wanted vacuum -- you GOT it.

                Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:I always enjoy Alex' designs. They are creative and after all that is what we're here for. OTOH, what I really want is an inline aspirator type arrangement that allows me to use a compressor to build the flow which creates the vacuum; basically a gizmo that does the same thing as a water driven
                aspirator but, using air instead of water. know that I've got a decent pump and I can buy the vacuum aspirator
                for water, but, compressed air is more appealing.

                _{*L*}_
                http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

              • don1lia2joe3
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                  There is a vacuum pump that is used in air conditioner repair and the
                  vacuum is created by hooking it up to a compressor. The pump uses a
                  venturi to create the vacuum and the pump is not expensive.
                • Lmemarime
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                    Derek, i've seen air vacuum pumps in the J.C.Whitney automotive catalog out of Chicago that are pretty cheap. One should be able to be rigged to a tank to do the job you want. I've got one on a three gallon tank with a quick valve and plastic tubing that I use to change oil in small engines.You should be able to do the same thing by hooking the tubing (copper) to the bottom of a pipe filter. You could probably use a pressure cooker for the tank by hooking the pump and valve into the pressure regulator and relief valve fittings. Just pull a vacuum in the tank and let it pull the product down through the filter, you can adjust the flow with the quick valve so it doesn't try to take it to fast and have a large resevoir(sp) on top of the filter to feed it. I might be wrong as usual but sure seems like it would work.
                    Semper Fidelis
                    Lmemarine

                  • Benjamin Domingo Bof
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 16, 2006
                      The cheapest vaccum pump in junkyards is an sealed
                      refrigerator equipment. You must connect the air or
                      gas inlet to the system and you obtain and good vaccum
                      useful to better the distilling conditions.

                      Benjamin
                      --- 11: derekhamlet@...; escribió:

                      > In addition to distilling I am also a winemaker. In
                      > my very frugal lifestyle I try to make whatever I
                      > can instead of purchasing. I've tried a few of the
                      > filter machines sold or rented in winestores. They
                      > are abysmally bad in my opinion.
                      > I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't
                      > yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.
                      > I've seen advertisements for those water driven
                      > things that creat a vacuum via the force of water
                      > running through them. With a pump I guess you make
                      > them work fairly well. What I'd really like to do
                      > though is use my compressor to create the pressure
                      > which creates the vacuum. Or atlernatively I could
                      > pick up a vacuum cleaner at the dump and concoct
                      > something.
                      > Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan
                      > they have built or would like to build?
                      > TIA

                      Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
                      está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
                      ¡Probalo ya!
                      http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas
                    • coopthewaste
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 18, 2006
                        Refrigerator equipment pumps are not vacuums, they are compressors. They must be vacuumed out via pressure gauges anda vacuum pump before refrigerant and oil go inside through the same pressure gauges. Mine came from a yard sale of a retired HVAC person. Vacuum regulators are available on ebay as are vacuum traps to protect your regulator and pump.

                        Benjamin Domingo Bof <benjaminbof@...> wrote: The cheapest vaccum pump in junkyards is an sealed

                        --- 11: derekhamlet@...; escribió:

                        > In addition to distilling I am also a winemaker. In
                        > my very frugal lifestyle I try to make whatever I
                        > can instead of purchasing. I've tried a few of the
                        > filter machines sold or rented in winestores. They
                        > are abysmally bad in my opinion.
                        > I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't
                        > yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.
                        > I've seen advertisements for those water driven
                        > things that creat a vacuum via the force of water
                        > running through them. With a pump I guess you make
                        > them work fairly well. What I'd really like to do
                        > though is use my compressor to create the pressure
                        > which creates the vacuum. Or atlernatively I could
                        > pick up a vacuum cleaner at the dump and concoct
                        > something.
                        > Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan
                        > they have built or would like to build?
                        > TIA

                        Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
                        está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
                        ¡Probalo ya!
                        http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

                      • fit_dude42
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
                          Coming from a motoring background, we found that if you get a four-
                          stroke motorcycle (or car) engine and attach an electric motor to
                          the crankshaft on one end, then turn the bike engine via the motor
                          without the carbs or electrics (so no fuel or ignition) the inlet
                          makes a good pump for quite a few purposes. With only minor
                          modification to the cam timing, it can be made to pump water or air,
                          so the theory would follow that if it is pumping out it must be
                          sucking in. Rather an elaborate way to create a vacuum but if you
                          have the stuff laying around, what the hey!

                          I would have thought that a vacuum cleaner would be the ideal
                          solution. We used to use one to suck oil and water and a whole host
                          of other nasty stuff out of our vehicle inspection pit. To prevent
                          anything getting sucked into the cleaner, we got a large sealable
                          bucket and drilled two holes in the lid the same size as the vacuum
                          cleaner pipe. We attached the cleaner pipe to one of the holes and a
                          separate piece of pipe to the other hole and then sealed the bucket
                          up tight. When the cleaner was switched on, the bucket acted as an
                          intermediate collector for all the gunge we sucked up. Just had to
                          be careful not to overfill it. We later found that if you made the
                          suction pipe drop down into the bucket, it would become submerged in
                          the incoming liquid and you didn't get as much splashback onto the
                          vacuum cleaner pipe.

                          Don't know how effective this would be if there was no air flow
                          though, as some cleaners rely on air flow to cool the motor.

                          Worth a try with an old cleaner though if you have one.

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, coopthewaste

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
                            Vaccum cleaner have brushes with sparks then appear explosion risk when the gases containing ethanol mixed with air is in.We insist cheapest vaccum pump is sealed refrigerator pump using inlet to make vaccum. In Brazil where we live this device cost in junkyard ten dollars running with low pressure for use in refrigerators.

                            Benjamin

                            <coopthewaste@...> wrote:

                            > Refrigerator equipment pumps are not vacuums, they are
                            compressors. They must be vacuumed out via pressure gauges anda
                            vacuum pump before refrigerant and oil go inside through the same
                            pressure gauges. Mine came from a yard sale of a retired HVAC
                            person. Vacuum regulators are available on ebay as are vacuum traps
                            to protect your regulator and pump.

                            > Benjamin Domingo Bof <benjaminbof@...> wrote: The
                            cheapest vaccum pump in junkyards is an sealed
                            > refrigerator equipment. You must connect the air or
                            > gas inlet to the system and you obtain and good vaccum
                            > useful to better the distilling conditions.
                            >
                            > Benjamin
                            > --- 11: derekhamlet@...; escribió:
                            >
                            > > In addition to distilling I am also a winemaker. In
                            > > my very frugal lifestyle I try to make whatever I
                            > > can instead of purchasing. I've tried a few of the
                            > > filter machines sold or rented in winestores. They
                            > > are abysmally bad in my opinion.
                            > > I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't
                            > > yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.
                            > > I've seen advertisements for those water driven
                            > > things that creat a vacuum via the force of water
                            > > running through them. With a pump I guess you make
                            > > them work fairly well. What I'd really like to do
                            > > though is use my compressor to create the pressure
                            > > which creates the vacuum. Or atlernatively I could
                            > > pick up a vacuum cleaner at the dump and concoct
                            > > something.
                            > > Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan
                            > > they have built or would like to build?
                            > > TIA

                            > Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
                            > Todo lo que querías saber, y lo que ni imaginabas,
                            > está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
                            > ¡Probalo ya!
                            > http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

                          • Tony Turner
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
                              I tend to agree with Benjamin. I use and old 110Volt
                              air conditioner compressor to pull a vacuum on a 40
                              gallon tank I use to pick-up waste veggie oil to burn
                              in my 240D Mercedies. I turn the compressor on, pull
                              the vacuum, drive to the holdig tank, open the valve
                              on the end of my hose, pull the oil through my 10
                              micron filter and into the tank. It's quick and easy.
                              The compressor works wonderfully.

                              later,
                              Tony T

                              wrote:

                              > Vaccum cleaner have brushes with sparks then appear
                              > explosion risk when the gases containing ethanol
                              > mixed with air is in.We insist cheapest vaccum pump
                              > is sealed refrigerator pump using inlet to make
                              > vaccum. In Brazil where we live this device cost in
                              > junkyard ten dollars running with low pressure for
                              > use in refrigerators.

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • Benjamin Domingo Bof
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
                                Tony ;Thank you. The oil trap is BEFORE the compressor
                                and vaccum is not modified by oil. Only is necesary to
                                recycle oil lubricating the equipment. My challenge is
                                because economy is the science of scarcity. We are
                                making an column four inches diameter ,twelve feet
                                high using mild steel with flanges MIG welded for
                                producing E85 vehicles fuel. Then we send the piece to
                                hot dip galvanizing . Our idea is to follow NIMBKAR
                                Institue of India to use an solar heater to bring
                                temperature for distill. Doctor Rajvanshi from India
                                are using sorghum. We like it because use stems to
                                extract syrup by rolling and grains could be breadable
                                product. Agriculture byproducts offer un universe of
                                raw material for fermenting; corn, wheat,rice
                                ;depending on price can fight against sugar cane. We
                                are located in São Paulo, Brazil. Some time ago we use
                                soybean for increase bread. Beans are inmersed in
                                water two days . It grows. Then You mix one part in
                                volume with three parts of water and put in mixer. The
                                product must boil half an hour to obtain "soymilk" and
                                "TexturizedVegetalProtein" by cloth filtration. In my
                                opinion both products are useful to increase yeast
                                power; stimulating and breeding.

                                Benjamin