Re: Distilling the Sugar Wash

  • Lindsay Williams
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
      Derek, this topic has heaps of info in the archives and in
      www.homedistiller.org. Also, Google is always your friend.

      You can start with Harry's 'Links' menu item on left and go to
      Archives and do a search. Also heaps more in the Distillers group
      archives.

      See you next week when you have finished.

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.

      PS There is virtually no methanol in a sugar wash (no pectin). And
      alcohols don't conveniently boil off according to their volatility.
      Most of our 'heads' is ethanol with small but bad contaminations.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...>
      wrote:
      > Can someone enlighten me about the quantity of higher alcohols that
      > come off before the ethanol in a sugar wash?
      > Some folks suggest that with a 14-16 per cent sugar wash you should
      > discard approx. 250ml of heads in a 23 litre wash. Others have
      > suggested that the quantity of methanol in a well fermented sugar
      > wash is almost negligible.
      > I'd like to hear people's views on this and would particularly like a
      > reference to do a little reading on the above question.
    • Dean Thomas
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
        Although not as effective as a vacuum pump in that it won't achieve as
        deep a vacuum (probably doesn't matter for this purpose) any working
        compressor out of an old fridge, freezer or airconditioner will pull a
        vacuum. I can't promise how long it will last). please if you go this
        way try and find a compressor that has already been removed i.e one from
        the dump as when removing a compressor from an appliance something has
        to be done with the refrigerant don't just vent it to atmosphere. For
        regular economical use I would think one of those water driven vacuum
        thingy's would be a good start. Some times you just have to spend money.

        Dean.

        oliminun wrote:

        >Derek, there are vacuum pumps as well, ask any refrigeration mechanic, they use them daily.
        >You would have to have a large bottle in between. Suck air from top of bottle and let the wine run in to the bottom of the bottle.
        >Beats the vacuum cleaner.

      • _{*L*}_
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
          Derek I posted a simple diagram of a continuous filter here:
          http://tinyurl.com/7te7y In case the link is not working it is located in the files section of distillers group under my folder.
          I hope it will give you enough for your next project. If you think it would not work please let me know. Alex...

          Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
          I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.... Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan they have built or would like to build? TIA

          _{*L*}_
          http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

        • Hello
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
            Hi

            I am newer than new when it come to distilling.
            I know it takes heat and condensation in some applications, but not much more than that.

            Is there a site or a Library that might have the information I can research about the mechanics and the process to distill alcohol?

            Thanks

            Ken

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Hello" <krini1972@e...>
              wrote:
              > Hi
              >
              > I am newer than new when it come to distilling.
              > I know it takes heat and condensation in some applications, but
              not much more than that.

              > Is there a site or a Library that might have the information I can
              research about the mechanics and the process to distill alcohol?

              > Thanks
              >
              > Ken

              Is it a slow day in Tampa, Ken? 2 years of daily digests?
              First & only warning. Don't waste my time.

              Your record...

              Yahoo! ID....
              doxem_2000 krini1972@...

              Email Delivery....
              Daily Digest

              Joined....
              Aug 31, 2003

              Details....
              Ken · 51 · Male
              Florida, Tampa

              Activity....
              May 28 2004 Changed email
              from krin1972@...
              to krin1972@...
            • Dean Thomas
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                Should work now all he needs is a peristalgic pump and some filters.

                Dean

                _{*L*}_ wrote:

                >Derek I posted a simple diagram of a continuous filter here:
                >http://tinyurl.com/7te7y In case the link is not working it is located in the files section of distillers group under my folder.
                >I hope it will give you enough for your next project. If you think it would not work please let me know. Alex...
                >
                >Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
                >I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.... Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan they have built or would like to build? TIA
                >

                >_{*L*}_
                >http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

              • dearknarl
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                  Gday guys,

                  I see a potential problem with the design Alex posted. If the
                  peristaltic pump is providing a vacuum, then the flexible hose would
                  get flattened by atmospheric pressure, would it not?

                  You could get a comprimise between the flexibility of the hose and
                  pressure, but I would suggest putting the pump between the 'fillup'
                  tank and the filters, so it provides positive pressure. That would
                  mean you couldn't filter really chunky stuff though.

                  Cheers,
                  knarl.

                  On 9/7/05, Dean Thomas <deanlil@...> wrote:
                  > Should work now all he needs is a peristalgic pump and some filters.
                  >
                  > Dean
                  >
                  > _{*L*}_ wrote:
                  >
                  > >Derek I posted a simple diagram of a continuous filter here:
                  > >http://tinyurl.com/7te7y In case the link is not working it is located in the files section of distillers group under my folder.
                  > >I hope it will give you enough for your next project. If you think it would not work please let me know. Alex...
                  > >
                  > >Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
                  > >I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.... Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan they have built or would like to build? TIA
                  > >

                  > >_{*L*}_
                  > >http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                  > ________________________________
                • Derek Hamlet
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                    I always enjoy Alex' designs. They are creative and after all that
                    is what we're here for.
                    OTOH, what I really want is an inline aspirator type arrangement that
                    allows me to use a compressor to build the flow which creates the
                    vacuum; basically a gizmo that does the same thing as a water driven
                    aspirator but, using air instead of water.
                    I know that I've got a decent pump and I can buy the vacuum aspirator
                    for water, but, compressed air is more appealing.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                      Sorry, I don't know what "aspiratoir" is. You wanted vacuum -- you GOT it.

                      Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:I always enjoy Alex' designs. They are creative and after all that is what we're here for. OTOH, what I really want is an inline aspirator type arrangement that allows me to use a compressor to build the flow which creates the vacuum; basically a gizmo that does the same thing as a water driven
                      aspirator but, using air instead of water. know that I've got a decent pump and I can buy the vacuum aspirator
                      for water, but, compressed air is more appealing.

                      _{*L*}_
                      http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                    • don1lia2joe3
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                        There is a vacuum pump that is used in air conditioner repair and the
                        vacuum is created by hooking it up to a compressor. The pump uses a
                        venturi to create the vacuum and the pump is not expensive.
                      • Lmemarime
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                          Derek, i've seen air vacuum pumps in the J.C.Whitney automotive catalog out of Chicago that are pretty cheap. One should be able to be rigged to a tank to do the job you want. I've got one on a three gallon tank with a quick valve and plastic tubing that I use to change oil in small engines.You should be able to do the same thing by hooking the tubing (copper) to the bottom of a pipe filter. You could probably use a pressure cooker for the tank by hooking the pump and valve into the pressure regulator and relief valve fittings. Just pull a vacuum in the tank and let it pull the product down through the filter, you can adjust the flow with the quick valve so it doesn't try to take it to fast and have a large resevoir(sp) on top of the filter to feed it. I might be wrong as usual but sure seems like it would work.
                          Semper Fidelis
                          Lmemarine

                        • Benjamin Domingo Bof
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 16, 2006
                            The cheapest vaccum pump in junkyards is an sealed
                            refrigerator equipment. You must connect the air or
                            gas inlet to the system and you obtain and good vaccum
                            useful to better the distilling conditions.

                            Benjamin
                            --- 11: derekhamlet@...; escribió:

                            > In addition to distilling I am also a winemaker. In
                            > my very frugal lifestyle I try to make whatever I
                            > can instead of purchasing. I've tried a few of the
                            > filter machines sold or rented in winestores. They
                            > are abysmally bad in my opinion.
                            > I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't
                            > yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.
                            > I've seen advertisements for those water driven
                            > things that creat a vacuum via the force of water
                            > running through them. With a pump I guess you make
                            > them work fairly well. What I'd really like to do
                            > though is use my compressor to create the pressure
                            > which creates the vacuum. Or atlernatively I could
                            > pick up a vacuum cleaner at the dump and concoct
                            > something.
                            > Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan
                            > they have built or would like to build?
                            > TIA

                            Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
                            está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
                            ¡Probalo ya!
                            http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas
                          • coopthewaste
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 18, 2006
                              Refrigerator equipment pumps are not vacuums, they are compressors. They must be vacuumed out via pressure gauges anda vacuum pump before refrigerant and oil go inside through the same pressure gauges. Mine came from a yard sale of a retired HVAC person. Vacuum regulators are available on ebay as are vacuum traps to protect your regulator and pump.

                              Benjamin Domingo Bof <benjaminbof@...> wrote: The cheapest vaccum pump in junkyards is an sealed

                              --- 11: derekhamlet@...; escribió:

                              > In addition to distilling I am also a winemaker. In
                              > my very frugal lifestyle I try to make whatever I
                              > can instead of purchasing. I've tried a few of the
                              > filter machines sold or rented in winestores. They
                              > are abysmally bad in my opinion.
                              > I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't
                              > yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.
                              > I've seen advertisements for those water driven
                              > things that creat a vacuum via the force of water
                              > running through them. With a pump I guess you make
                              > them work fairly well. What I'd really like to do
                              > though is use my compressor to create the pressure
                              > which creates the vacuum. Or atlernatively I could
                              > pick up a vacuum cleaner at the dump and concoct
                              > something.
                              > Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan
                              > they have built or would like to build?
                              > TIA

                              Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
                              está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
                              ¡Probalo ya!
                              http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

                            • fit_dude42
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
                                Coming from a motoring background, we found that if you get a four-
                                stroke motorcycle (or car) engine and attach an electric motor to
                                the crankshaft on one end, then turn the bike engine via the motor
                                without the carbs or electrics (so no fuel or ignition) the inlet
                                makes a good pump for quite a few purposes. With only minor
                                modification to the cam timing, it can be made to pump water or air,
                                so the theory would follow that if it is pumping out it must be
                                sucking in. Rather an elaborate way to create a vacuum but if you
                                have the stuff laying around, what the hey!

                                I would have thought that a vacuum cleaner would be the ideal
                                solution. We used to use one to suck oil and water and a whole host
                                of other nasty stuff out of our vehicle inspection pit. To prevent
                                anything getting sucked into the cleaner, we got a large sealable
                                bucket and drilled two holes in the lid the same size as the vacuum
                                cleaner pipe. We attached the cleaner pipe to one of the holes and a
                                separate piece of pipe to the other hole and then sealed the bucket
                                up tight. When the cleaner was switched on, the bucket acted as an
                                intermediate collector for all the gunge we sucked up. Just had to
                                be careful not to overfill it. We later found that if you made the
                                suction pipe drop down into the bucket, it would become submerged in
                                the incoming liquid and you didn't get as much splashback onto the
                                vacuum cleaner pipe.

                                Don't know how effective this would be if there was no air flow
                                though, as some cleaners rely on air flow to cool the motor.

                                Worth a try with an old cleaner though if you have one.

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, coopthewaste

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
                                  Vaccum cleaner have brushes with sparks then appear explosion risk when the gases containing ethanol mixed with air is in.We insist cheapest vaccum pump is sealed refrigerator pump using inlet to make vaccum. In Brazil where we live this device cost in junkyard ten dollars running with low pressure for use in refrigerators.

                                  Benjamin

                                  <coopthewaste@...> wrote:

                                  > Refrigerator equipment pumps are not vacuums, they are
                                  compressors. They must be vacuumed out via pressure gauges anda
                                  vacuum pump before refrigerant and oil go inside through the same
                                  pressure gauges. Mine came from a yard sale of a retired HVAC
                                  person. Vacuum regulators are available on ebay as are vacuum traps
                                  to protect your regulator and pump.

                                  > Benjamin Domingo Bof <benjaminbof@...> wrote: The
                                  cheapest vaccum pump in junkyards is an sealed
                                  > refrigerator equipment. You must connect the air or
                                  > gas inlet to the system and you obtain and good vaccum
                                  > useful to better the distilling conditions.
                                  >
                                  > Benjamin
                                  > --- 11: derekhamlet@...; escribió:
                                  >
                                  > > In addition to distilling I am also a winemaker. In
                                  > > my very frugal lifestyle I try to make whatever I
                                  > > can instead of purchasing. I've tried a few of the
                                  > > filter machines sold or rented in winestores. They
                                  > > are abysmally bad in my opinion.
                                  > > I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't
                                  > > yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.
                                  > > I've seen advertisements for those water driven
                                  > > things that creat a vacuum via the force of water
                                  > > running through them. With a pump I guess you make
                                  > > them work fairly well. What I'd really like to do
                                  > > though is use my compressor to create the pressure
                                  > > which creates the vacuum. Or atlernatively I could
                                  > > pick up a vacuum cleaner at the dump and concoct
                                  > > something.
                                  > > Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan
                                  > > they have built or would like to build?
                                  > > TIA

                                  > Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
                                  > Todo lo que querías saber, y lo que ni imaginabas,
                                  > está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
                                  > ¡Probalo ya!
                                  > http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

                                • Tony Turner
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
                                    I tend to agree with Benjamin. I use and old 110Volt
                                    air conditioner compressor to pull a vacuum on a 40
                                    gallon tank I use to pick-up waste veggie oil to burn
                                    in my 240D Mercedies. I turn the compressor on, pull
                                    the vacuum, drive to the holdig tank, open the valve
                                    on the end of my hose, pull the oil through my 10
                                    micron filter and into the tank. It's quick and easy.
                                    The compressor works wonderfully.

                                    later,
                                    Tony T

                                    wrote:

                                    > Vaccum cleaner have brushes with sparks then appear
                                    > explosion risk when the gases containing ethanol
                                    > mixed with air is in.We insist cheapest vaccum pump
                                    > is sealed refrigerator pump using inlet to make
                                    > vaccum. In Brazil where we live this device cost in
                                    > junkyard ten dollars running with low pressure for
                                    > use in refrigerators.

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • Benjamin Domingo Bof
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
                                      Tony ;Thank you. The oil trap is BEFORE the compressor
                                      and vaccum is not modified by oil. Only is necesary to
                                      recycle oil lubricating the equipment. My challenge is
                                      because economy is the science of scarcity. We are
                                      making an column four inches diameter ,twelve feet
                                      high using mild steel with flanges MIG welded for
                                      producing E85 vehicles fuel. Then we send the piece to
                                      hot dip galvanizing . Our idea is to follow NIMBKAR
                                      Institue of India to use an solar heater to bring
                                      temperature for distill. Doctor Rajvanshi from India
                                      are using sorghum. We like it because use stems to
                                      extract syrup by rolling and grains could be breadable
                                      product. Agriculture byproducts offer un universe of
                                      raw material for fermenting; corn, wheat,rice
                                      ;depending on price can fight against sugar cane. We
                                      are located in São Paulo, Brazil. Some time ago we use
                                      soybean for increase bread. Beans are inmersed in
                                      water two days . It grows. Then You mix one part in
                                      volume with three parts of water and put in mixer. The
                                      product must boil half an hour to obtain "soymilk" and
                                      "TexturizedVegetalProtein" by cloth filtration. In my
                                      opinion both products are useful to increase yeast
                                      power; stimulating and breeding.

                                      Benjamin