price for enzymes in aus

  • dearknarl
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2005
      Gday Guys,
      I just hoped to get an idea of what a reasonable price is for enzymes to
      mash grain. I thought it would be worth asking here before going to the brew
      shop so I don't end up paying an arm and a leg.
      If anyone knows an online shop that I could buy from (Australia) instead of
      the local homebrew place, that would be appreciated too.
      It'll be my first go at whiskey. Past experience in vodka and rum. I was
      planning on avoiding sprouting any grain or buying malted grain for my first
      go. Is it ok to just cook, mash with powdered enzymes (at appropriate temp),
      sparge and ferment? And will I get scorching problems with an internal
      element when I run it if it's been sparged?
      Cheers,
      knarl.

    • Campbell Ritchie
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2005
        From memory (weak and failing)it was about $2 for a sachet-probably
        about 10g the last time I bought some.

        **After a quick browse-
        Goliath Brewing
        DRY BEER ENZYME $6.50

        AMYLO 300
        A liquid brewery grade enzyme to assist the hydrolisation of
        dextrins making a drier beer style.
        Whilst usually added to a mash, kit brewers can also add this
        product to the fermenter to achieve a drier, more attenuated beer.
        Ideal for kit based pilsener styles

        Sufficient for 4 X 25 Litre Brews.

        There shouldn't be any scorching problems if you are straining the
        wort from the grains. Most all grain beer makers would have internal
        elements in their boilers -I do.

        If, however, you are boiling the whole lot, grain and all, there may
        be a problem.
        I'm thinking that going down the enzyme path may give you a more
        glutinous wort with more solids in it but I tried the corn flake and
        enzyme moonshine recipe last year and didn't have any problems with
        scorching. I may have used my power controller though. Can't
        remember, probably did.

        Campbell

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, dearknarl <dearknarl@g...>
        wrote:
        > Gday Guys,
        > I just hoped to get an idea of what a reasonable price is for
        enzymes to
        > mash grain. I thought it would be worth asking here before going
        to the brew
        > shop so I don't end up paying an arm and a leg.
        > If anyone knows an online shop that I could buy from (Australia)
        instead of
        > the local homebrew place, that would be appreciated too.
        > It'll be my first go at whiskey. Past experience in vodka and
        rum. I was
        > planning on avoiding sprouting any grain or buying malted grain
        for my first
        > go. Is it ok to just cook, mash with powdered enzymes (at
        appropriate temp),
        > sparge and ferment? And will I get scorching problems with an
        internal
        > element when I run it if it's been sparged?
        > Cheers,
        > knarl.

      • sonum norbu
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2005
          Yairssssss, I couldn't remember either, but that's where I get my stuff
          too. Have yet to try the cornflake job, but looking forward to doing so.
          blanikdog

          wrote:
          > Gday Guys,
          > I just hoped to get an idea of what a reasonable price is for
          enzymes to
          > mash grain. I thought it would be worth asking here before going
          to the brew
          > shop so I don't end up paying an arm and a leg.
          > If anyone knows an online shop that I could buy from (Australia)
          instead of
          > the local homebrew place, that would be appreciated too.
          > It'll be my first go at whiskey. Past experience in vodka and
          rum. I was
          > planning on avoiding sprouting any grain or buying malted grain
          for my first
          > go. Is it ok to just cook, mash with powdered enzymes (at
          appropriate temp),
          > sparge and ferment? And will I get scorching problems with an
          internal
          > element when I run it if it's been sparged?
          > Cheers,
          > knarl.

          SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
          http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/