From Moderator: Groups quiet

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
      Since Hurricane Katrina, the groups are very quiet. Perhaps there
      were more members from the southern states of US than I thought. I
      only know of 3.

      Bradr36 - He's checked in ok. Spent a couple of worrying days in an
      office block next to the Superdome in New orleans. Travelling now and
      safe.

      Slipslider - Status unknown.

      Blueflame - Status unknown.

      If anyone has any info re status of other members from the hurricane
      area, please advise me at gnikomson2000@...
      DO NOT USE THE LISTS. Thank you.

    • jmsmckenna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
        i just hope they are all ok

      • jkirby007@netzero.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
          thanks to all for the prayers and help from your country, australia, things will get better , there are about3 million people displaced and moved all over the us,
          jesse jkirby007@...

        • jkirby007@netzero.net
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
            thanks to all for the prayers and help from your country, australia, things will get better , there are about3 million people displaced and moved all over the us,
            jesse jkirby007@...

          • Derek Hamlet
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
              In addition to distilling I am also a winemaker. In my very frugal
              lifestyle I try to make whatever I can instead of purchasing. I've
              tried a few of the filter machines sold or rented in
              winestores. They are abysmally bad in my opinion.
              I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't yet come upon a
              good plan or come up with my own.
              I've seen advertisements for those water driven things that creat a
              vacuum via the force of water running through them. With a pump I
              guess you make them work fairly well. What I'd really like to do
              though is use my compressor to create the pressure which creates the
              vacuum. Or atlernatively I could pick up a vacuum cleaner at the
              dump and concoct something.
              Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan they have built or
              would like to build?
              TIA
            • Derek Hamlet
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
                Can someone enlighten me about the quantity of higher alcohols that
                come off before the ethanol in a sugar wash?
                Some folks suggest that with a 14-16 per cent sugar wash you should
                discard approx. 250ml of heads in a 23 litre wash. Others have
                suggested that the quantity of methanol in a well fermented sugar
                wash is almost negligible.
                I'd like to hear people's views on this and would particularly like a
                reference to do a little reading on the above question.
              • oliminun
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                  Derek, there are vacuum pumps as well, ask any refrigeration mechanic, they use them daily.
                  You would have to have a large bottle in between. Suck air from top of bottle and let the wine run in to the bottom of the bottle.
                  Beats the vacuum cleaner.

                  In addition to distilling I am also a winemaker. In my very frugal
                  lifestyle I try to make whatever I can instead of purchasing. I've
                  tried a few of the filter machines sold or rented in
                  winestores. They are abysmally bad in my opinion.
                  I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't yet come upon a
                  good plan or come up with my own.
                  I've seen advertisements for those water driven things that creat a
                  vacuum via the force of water running through them. With a pump I
                  guess you make them work fairly well. What I'd really like to do
                  though is use my compressor to create the pressure which creates the
                  vacuum. Or atlernatively I could pick up a vacuum cleaner at the
                  dump and concoct something.
                  Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan they have built or
                  would like to build?
                  TIA

                  Organizational culture Culture change Cell culture

                • Lindsay Williams
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                    Derek, this topic has heaps of info in the archives and in
                    www.homedistiller.org. Also, Google is always your friend.

                    You can start with Harry's 'Links' menu item on left and go to
                    Archives and do a search. Also heaps more in the Distillers group
                    archives.

                    See you next week when you have finished.

                    Cheers,
                    Lindsay.

                    PS There is virtually no methanol in a sugar wash (no pectin). And
                    alcohols don't conveniently boil off according to their volatility.
                    Most of our 'heads' is ethanol with small but bad contaminations.

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@s...>
                    wrote:
                    > Can someone enlighten me about the quantity of higher alcohols that
                    > come off before the ethanol in a sugar wash?
                    > Some folks suggest that with a 14-16 per cent sugar wash you should
                    > discard approx. 250ml of heads in a 23 litre wash. Others have
                    > suggested that the quantity of methanol in a well fermented sugar
                    > wash is almost negligible.
                    > I'd like to hear people's views on this and would particularly like a
                    > reference to do a little reading on the above question.
                  • Dean Thomas
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                      Although not as effective as a vacuum pump in that it won't achieve as
                      deep a vacuum (probably doesn't matter for this purpose) any working
                      compressor out of an old fridge, freezer or airconditioner will pull a
                      vacuum. I can't promise how long it will last). please if you go this
                      way try and find a compressor that has already been removed i.e one from
                      the dump as when removing a compressor from an appliance something has
                      to be done with the refrigerant don't just vent it to atmosphere. For
                      regular economical use I would think one of those water driven vacuum
                      thingy's would be a good start. Some times you just have to spend money.

                      Dean.

                      oliminun wrote:

                      >Derek, there are vacuum pumps as well, ask any refrigeration mechanic, they use them daily.
                      >You would have to have a large bottle in between. Suck air from top of bottle and let the wine run in to the bottom of the bottle.
                      >Beats the vacuum cleaner.

                    • _{*L*}_
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                        Derek I posted a simple diagram of a continuous filter here:
                        http://tinyurl.com/7te7y In case the link is not working it is located in the files section of distillers group under my folder.
                        I hope it will give you enough for your next project. If you think it would not work please let me know. Alex...

                        Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
                        I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.... Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan they have built or would like to build? TIA

                        _{*L*}_
                        http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                      • Hello
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                          Hi

                          I am newer than new when it come to distilling.
                          I know it takes heat and condensation in some applications, but not much more than that.

                          Is there a site or a Library that might have the information I can research about the mechanics and the process to distill alcohol?

                          Thanks

                          Ken

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Hello" <krini1972@e...>
                            wrote:
                            > Hi
                            >
                            > I am newer than new when it come to distilling.
                            > I know it takes heat and condensation in some applications, but
                            not much more than that.

                            > Is there a site or a Library that might have the information I can
                            research about the mechanics and the process to distill alcohol?

                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > Ken

                            Is it a slow day in Tampa, Ken? 2 years of daily digests?
                            First & only warning. Don't waste my time.

                            Your record...

                            Yahoo! ID....
                            doxem_2000 krini1972@...

                            Email Delivery....
                            Daily Digest

                            Joined....
                            Aug 31, 2003

                            Details....
                            Ken · 51 · Male
                            Florida, Tampa

                            Activity....
                            May 28 2004 Changed email
                            from krin1972@...
                            to krin1972@...
                          • Dean Thomas
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                              Should work now all he needs is a peristalgic pump and some filters.

                              Dean

                              _{*L*}_ wrote:

                              >Derek I posted a simple diagram of a continuous filter here:
                              >http://tinyurl.com/7te7y In case the link is not working it is located in the files section of distillers group under my folder.
                              >I hope it will give you enough for your next project. If you think it would not work please let me know. Alex...
                              >
                              >Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
                              >I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.... Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan they have built or would like to build? TIA
                              >

                              >_{*L*}_
                              >http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                            • dearknarl
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                                Gday guys,

                                I see a potential problem with the design Alex posted. If the
                                peristaltic pump is providing a vacuum, then the flexible hose would
                                get flattened by atmospheric pressure, would it not?

                                You could get a comprimise between the flexibility of the hose and
                                pressure, but I would suggest putting the pump between the 'fillup'
                                tank and the filters, so it provides positive pressure. That would
                                mean you couldn't filter really chunky stuff though.

                                Cheers,
                                knarl.

                                On 9/7/05, Dean Thomas <deanlil@...> wrote:
                                > Should work now all he needs is a peristalgic pump and some filters.
                                >
                                > Dean
                                >
                                > _{*L*}_ wrote:
                                >
                                > >Derek I posted a simple diagram of a continuous filter here:
                                > >http://tinyurl.com/7te7y In case the link is not working it is located in the files section of distillers group under my folder.
                                > >I hope it will give you enough for your next project. If you think it would not work please let me know. Alex...
                                > >
                                > >Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:
                                > >I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.... Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan they have built or would like to build? TIA
                                > >

                                > >_{*L*}_
                                > >http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                                > ________________________________
                              • Derek Hamlet
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                                  I always enjoy Alex' designs. They are creative and after all that
                                  is what we're here for.
                                  OTOH, what I really want is an inline aspirator type arrangement that
                                  allows me to use a compressor to build the flow which creates the
                                  vacuum; basically a gizmo that does the same thing as a water driven
                                  aspirator but, using air instead of water.
                                  I know that I've got a decent pump and I can buy the vacuum aspirator
                                  for water, but, compressed air is more appealing.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                                    Sorry, I don't know what "aspiratoir" is. You wanted vacuum -- you GOT it.

                                    Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:I always enjoy Alex' designs. They are creative and after all that is what we're here for. OTOH, what I really want is an inline aspirator type arrangement that allows me to use a compressor to build the flow which creates the vacuum; basically a gizmo that does the same thing as a water driven
                                    aspirator but, using air instead of water. know that I've got a decent pump and I can buy the vacuum aspirator
                                    for water, but, compressed air is more appealing.

                                    _{*L*}_
                                    http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob

                                  • don1lia2joe3
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                                      There is a vacuum pump that is used in air conditioner repair and the
                                      vacuum is created by hooking it up to a compressor. The pump uses a
                                      venturi to create the vacuum and the pump is not expensive.
                                    • Lmemarime
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 6, 2005
                                        Derek, i've seen air vacuum pumps in the J.C.Whitney automotive catalog out of Chicago that are pretty cheap. One should be able to be rigged to a tank to do the job you want. I've got one on a three gallon tank with a quick valve and plastic tubing that I use to change oil in small engines.You should be able to do the same thing by hooking the tubing (copper) to the bottom of a pipe filter. You could probably use a pressure cooker for the tank by hooking the pump and valve into the pressure regulator and relief valve fittings. Just pull a vacuum in the tank and let it pull the product down through the filter, you can adjust the flow with the quick valve so it doesn't try to take it to fast and have a large resevoir(sp) on top of the filter to feed it. I might be wrong as usual but sure seems like it would work.
                                        Semper Fidelis
                                        Lmemarine

                                      • Benjamin Domingo Bof
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 16, 2006
                                          The cheapest vaccum pump in junkyards is an sealed
                                          refrigerator equipment. You must connect the air or
                                          gas inlet to the system and you obtain and good vaccum
                                          useful to better the distilling conditions.

                                          Benjamin
                                          --- 11: derekhamlet@...; escribió:

                                          > In addition to distilling I am also a winemaker. In
                                          > my very frugal lifestyle I try to make whatever I
                                          > can instead of purchasing. I've tried a few of the
                                          > filter machines sold or rented in winestores. They
                                          > are abysmally bad in my opinion.
                                          > I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't
                                          > yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.
                                          > I've seen advertisements for those water driven
                                          > things that creat a vacuum via the force of water
                                          > running through them. With a pump I guess you make
                                          > them work fairly well. What I'd really like to do
                                          > though is use my compressor to create the pressure
                                          > which creates the vacuum. Or atlernatively I could
                                          > pick up a vacuum cleaner at the dump and concoct
                                          > something.
                                          > Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan
                                          > they have built or would like to build?
                                          > TIA

                                          Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
                                          está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
                                          ¡Probalo ya!
                                          http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas
                                        • coopthewaste
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 18, 2006
                                            Refrigerator equipment pumps are not vacuums, they are compressors. They must be vacuumed out via pressure gauges anda vacuum pump before refrigerant and oil go inside through the same pressure gauges. Mine came from a yard sale of a retired HVAC person. Vacuum regulators are available on ebay as are vacuum traps to protect your regulator and pump.

                                            Benjamin Domingo Bof <benjaminbof@...> wrote: The cheapest vaccum pump in junkyards is an sealed

                                            --- 11: derekhamlet@...; escribió:

                                            > In addition to distilling I am also a winemaker. In
                                            > my very frugal lifestyle I try to make whatever I
                                            > can instead of purchasing. I've tried a few of the
                                            > filter machines sold or rented in winestores. They
                                            > are abysmally bad in my opinion.
                                            > I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't
                                            > yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.
                                            > I've seen advertisements for those water driven
                                            > things that creat a vacuum via the force of water
                                            > running through them. With a pump I guess you make
                                            > them work fairly well. What I'd really like to do
                                            > though is use my compressor to create the pressure
                                            > which creates the vacuum. Or atlernatively I could
                                            > pick up a vacuum cleaner at the dump and concoct
                                            > something.
                                            > Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan
                                            > they have built or would like to build?
                                            > TIA

                                            Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
                                            está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
                                            ¡Probalo ya!
                                            http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

                                          • fit_dude42
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
                                              Coming from a motoring background, we found that if you get a four-
                                              stroke motorcycle (or car) engine and attach an electric motor to
                                              the crankshaft on one end, then turn the bike engine via the motor
                                              without the carbs or electrics (so no fuel or ignition) the inlet
                                              makes a good pump for quite a few purposes. With only minor
                                              modification to the cam timing, it can be made to pump water or air,
                                              so the theory would follow that if it is pumping out it must be
                                              sucking in. Rather an elaborate way to create a vacuum but if you
                                              have the stuff laying around, what the hey!

                                              I would have thought that a vacuum cleaner would be the ideal
                                              solution. We used to use one to suck oil and water and a whole host
                                              of other nasty stuff out of our vehicle inspection pit. To prevent
                                              anything getting sucked into the cleaner, we got a large sealable
                                              bucket and drilled two holes in the lid the same size as the vacuum
                                              cleaner pipe. We attached the cleaner pipe to one of the holes and a
                                              separate piece of pipe to the other hole and then sealed the bucket
                                              up tight. When the cleaner was switched on, the bucket acted as an
                                              intermediate collector for all the gunge we sucked up. Just had to
                                              be careful not to overfill it. We later found that if you made the
                                              suction pipe drop down into the bucket, it would become submerged in
                                              the incoming liquid and you didn't get as much splashback onto the
                                              vacuum cleaner pipe.

                                              Don't know how effective this would be if there was no air flow
                                              though, as some cleaners rely on air flow to cool the motor.

                                              Worth a try with an old cleaner though if you have one.

                                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, coopthewaste

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
                                                Vaccum cleaner have brushes with sparks then appear explosion risk when the gases containing ethanol mixed with air is in.We insist cheapest vaccum pump is sealed refrigerator pump using inlet to make vaccum. In Brazil where we live this device cost in junkyard ten dollars running with low pressure for use in refrigerators.

                                                Benjamin

                                                <coopthewaste@...> wrote:

                                                > Refrigerator equipment pumps are not vacuums, they are
                                                compressors. They must be vacuumed out via pressure gauges anda
                                                vacuum pump before refrigerant and oil go inside through the same
                                                pressure gauges. Mine came from a yard sale of a retired HVAC
                                                person. Vacuum regulators are available on ebay as are vacuum traps
                                                to protect your regulator and pump.

                                                > Benjamin Domingo Bof <benjaminbof@...> wrote: The
                                                cheapest vaccum pump in junkyards is an sealed
                                                > refrigerator equipment. You must connect the air or
                                                > gas inlet to the system and you obtain and good vaccum
                                                > useful to better the distilling conditions.
                                                >
                                                > Benjamin
                                                > --- 11: derekhamlet@...; escribió:
                                                >
                                                > > In addition to distilling I am also a winemaker. In
                                                > > my very frugal lifestyle I try to make whatever I
                                                > > can instead of purchasing. I've tried a few of the
                                                > > filter machines sold or rented in winestores. They
                                                > > are abysmally bad in my opinion.
                                                > > I'm hankering to build a vacuum filter, but, haven't
                                                > > yet come upon a good plan or come up with my own.
                                                > > I've seen advertisements for those water driven
                                                > > things that creat a vacuum via the force of water
                                                > > running through them. With a pump I guess you make
                                                > > them work fairly well. What I'd really like to do
                                                > > though is use my compressor to create the pressure
                                                > > which creates the vacuum. Or atlernatively I could
                                                > > pick up a vacuum cleaner at the dump and concoct
                                                > > something.
                                                > > Does anyone have a URL site or a drawing of a plan
                                                > > they have built or would like to build?
                                                > > TIA

                                                > Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
                                                > Todo lo que querías saber, y lo que ni imaginabas,
                                                > está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
                                                > ¡Probalo ya!
                                                > http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

                                              • Tony Turner
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
                                                  I tend to agree with Benjamin. I use and old 110Volt
                                                  air conditioner compressor to pull a vacuum on a 40
                                                  gallon tank I use to pick-up waste veggie oil to burn
                                                  in my 240D Mercedies. I turn the compressor on, pull
                                                  the vacuum, drive to the holdig tank, open the valve
                                                  on the end of my hose, pull the oil through my 10
                                                  micron filter and into the tank. It's quick and easy.
                                                  The compressor works wonderfully.

                                                  later,
                                                  Tony T

                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Vaccum cleaner have brushes with sparks then appear
                                                  > explosion risk when the gases containing ethanol
                                                  > mixed with air is in.We insist cheapest vaccum pump
                                                  > is sealed refrigerator pump using inlet to make
                                                  > vaccum. In Brazil where we live this device cost in
                                                  > junkyard ten dollars running with low pressure for
                                                  > use in refrigerators.

                                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                • Benjamin Domingo Bof
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
                                                    Tony ;Thank you. The oil trap is BEFORE the compressor
                                                    and vaccum is not modified by oil. Only is necesary to
                                                    recycle oil lubricating the equipment. My challenge is
                                                    because economy is the science of scarcity. We are
                                                    making an column four inches diameter ,twelve feet
                                                    high using mild steel with flanges MIG welded for
                                                    producing E85 vehicles fuel. Then we send the piece to
                                                    hot dip galvanizing . Our idea is to follow NIMBKAR
                                                    Institue of India to use an solar heater to bring
                                                    temperature for distill. Doctor Rajvanshi from India
                                                    are using sorghum. We like it because use stems to
                                                    extract syrup by rolling and grains could be breadable
                                                    product. Agriculture byproducts offer un universe of
                                                    raw material for fermenting; corn, wheat,rice
                                                    ;depending on price can fight against sugar cane. We
                                                    are located in São Paulo, Brazil. Some time ago we use
                                                    soybean for increase bread. Beans are inmersed in
                                                    water two days . It grows. Then You mix one part in
                                                    volume with three parts of water and put in mixer. The
                                                    product must boil half an hour to obtain "soymilk" and
                                                    "TexturizedVegetalProtein" by cloth filtration. In my
                                                    opinion both products are useful to increase yeast
                                                    power; stimulating and breeding.

                                                    Benjamin