Condensor coil problems

  • walpole2000@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 29, 2001
      my condensr coil is a coil of 1/2 inch copper pipe coiled into about
      7 big loops. My problem is that i gave my still atest run using water
      and found that the water condensors as it should but due to
      my 'handyman' work the condensed water sits in the lower points of
      the coil until the lowspot overflows.
      So what i am saying is should the coil be free flowing in a pretty
      spiral or should i leave it with the low points.
      If anyone has some photos of some pot still coil designs could u post
      them please.
    • Stevensgang@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 29, 2001
        Sir! You do want the condenser copper to coil around. That helps slow
        down the 'shine' and cools it off better. Yo will just need to somehow
        shore up your coils in between so as not to have any low points.
        I'm not sure the low points make that much difference but when trying to
        throw away the first bit then I would feel more comfortable knowing the
        shine has easy passage to my holding vessel.
        Steve
      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 30, 2001
          Hello,
          I.e. holding the coil condenser in such a way that there are no stagnant
          parts. I would guess that this problem may well be a common problem for many
          distillers. Are their any suggestions or solutions out there?.
          John V.

        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 30, 2001
            Yes, it's a very common problem- the coils of copper MUST ALL SLOPE DOWN.
            Otherwise, you get a little puddle of spirit in the line that will discolor
            and contaminate everything that goes past it. For the standard pressure
            cooker potstill (or any type of stovetop potstill), a much better result can
            be had by using a jacketed condensor (like on the old stillmaker model).
            They work suprisingly well for stovetop stills, are easier to clean, and
            faster to "run". The only drawback is the assembly- you need to know how to
            handle a propane torch and plumber's [silver] solder to make one- not a
            demanding skill to know- but essential. For me, getting the ends of the
            jacket to seal up are the biggest headache- but it's still a lot easier than
            trying to keep 10 to 20 feet of copper tubing from 1.kinking and 2.coil into
            a constant downward slope. Tony's site has a pic or two on potstills using
            this condensor- check 'em out.
          • walpole2000@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 30, 2001
              where is tony's site??
            • D. C.
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 30, 2001
                << For the standard pressure cooker potstill . . . a much better result can
                be had by using a jacketed condensor . . . The only drawback is the
                assembly- you need to know how to handle a propane torch and plumber's
                [silver] solder to make one- not a demanding skill to know- but essential.

                Actually, this is incorrect. I constructed one (a jacked condensor), for my
                essential oils, and never touched a torch. The copper was fastened to the
                pressure cooker lid via compression unit, and the water jacket is made out
                of PVC piping. The PVC joints were "glued" together using PVC adhesive, and
                all of the joints, and potential spots for vapor escape, were sealed with
                Food Grade silicone. I never touched a torch, and the still was set up in
                one weekend and turning out oils by Monday night.

                Your Brother in Magick,
                David M. Cunningham
                email@...

                NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
                intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
                which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
                otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
                transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
                forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
                telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.
              • ups474@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 1, 2001
                • Stevensgang@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 1, 2001
                    Maybe you could put some wood shims in between the coils to situate them
                    and then wire them down tight !! Just a thought
                    Steve
                  • rudenoise@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 3, 2001
                      Ahhh you beat me to the answer. I use a PVC jacket with rubber
                      gromments to pass the copper coil ends through, and some brass
                      nipples for a water entry and return, this is hooked up to a small
                      tabletop fountain pump in a bucket of water that circulates the water
                      through the jacket. It really works well. I posted a photo in the
                      photos area: HAL031235 Album/rudenoisestill.