Re: Activated Carbon

    Message 1 of 47 , Sep 1, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "alaray_992000" <carsonar@i...>
      wrote:
      > I have read a number of articles that relate to the cleaning and
      > reactivation of carbon.
      > None of the read articles have mentioned the possible use of a
      > mirowave to heat the carbon.
      > Am I on the wrong track or could this not be a much quicker and
      easier
      > way of reactivating carbon?

      Carbon and microwaves is not a good idea. You will rather quickly
      produce plasma aka ball lightning. Google it. Lots of fun
      experiments (and pics, videos) with microwave ovens. :-)

      Slainte!
      regards harry
      Message 47 of 47 , Feb 23, 2010

        Cartier,

        What your referring to is called the "Lincoln County Process" which is allowed to be done to all Tennessee Whiskeys including George Dickel and others, but cannot be done to Bourbons.  These charcoal pellets are made from Sugar maple and used by Tennessee Whiskey makers to filter out impurites.  However, it does not reduce flavors and instead added to the color and richness before barrelling at 125 proof.  See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County_Process

        Activated Charcoal (or carbon) on the other hand is processed with special chemicals at very high temps to make it extreamly pourous.  One gram of activated charcoal can have over 500 square meters of surface area and is used to filter out not only impurities but any flavors as well....

        Theres a Big Difference, believe me.  See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.