Re: Activated Carbon

  • whynda
    Message 1 of 47 , Sep 1, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "alaray_992000" <carsonar@i...>
      wrote:
      > I have read a number of articles that relate to the cleaning and
      > reactivation of carbon.
      > None of the read articles have mentioned the possible use of a
      > mirowave to heat the carbon.
      > Am I on the wrong track or could this not be a much quicker and
      easier
      > way of reactivating carbon?

      G'day

      You probably already know not to put any cups and plates in your
      microwave oven that have gold trim on them as the microwave energy
      will cause a very nice little fireworks to happen because as we all
      know gold is highly conductive. Now, it just so happens that carbon
      also is conductive and will cause the same little fireworks to happen
      in your oven and when you mix your little fireworks with the highly
      volatile substances that you are trying to drive out of the carbon
      then you can appreciate that you have just turned your microwave oven
      into a very nice little bomb. I shouldn't think that the wife would be
      at all happy with that circumstance. In a nutshell, that's why I don't
      use the microwave oven to re-activate carbon, others of course may
      have a differing opinion.

      bestest regards ...whynda
      Message 47 of 47 , Feb 23, 2010

        Cartier,

        What your referring to is called the "Lincoln County Process" which is allowed to be done to all Tennessee Whiskeys including George Dickel and others, but cannot be done to Bourbons.  These charcoal pellets are made from Sugar maple and used by Tennessee Whiskey makers to filter out impurites.  However, it does not reduce flavors and instead added to the color and richness before barrelling at 125 proof.  See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_County_Process

        Activated Charcoal (or carbon) on the other hand is processed with special chemicals at very high temps to make it extreamly pourous.  One gram of activated charcoal can have over 500 square meters of surface area and is used to filter out not only impurities but any flavors as well....

        Theres a Big Difference, believe me.  See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.