Re: antique still restoration

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, mr done <marshal7002@y...>
      wrote:
      > Dear Harry, THANKS, you are the missing link, ahem.
      > You filled in the missing pieces on this still. And I
      > can't thank you enough. I don't want to screw this
      > up, so I'm researching the still. Your info on the
      > Rodgers Robert- being part of the company, explains
      > alot on the still itself...Been talking to a guy that
      > restores antique airplanes and has the equipt to
      > "hammer out the copper" expressed an interest to help.
      > found the copper needed and will be working from the
      > photos you helped provide....I'm not a stiller and
      > will probably "play" with a batch, but intend to see
      > it restored and placed into history -somewhere so that
      > it can survive the scrap yard syndrome of our
      > society....again thanks and I'll keep you posted...if
      > your interested tom.

      Tom,
      Before you let your friend loose on the copper sheet, you might want
      to look at this...
      http://www.artmetal.com/village/chat/main/transcrp/981001MN.htm

      The "English Wheel" is the method that was probably used to fashion
      the old still parts. It's a fascinating subject.

    • don1lia2joe3
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7, 2005
        If mr done is still watching, I found this site that you may find
        interesting, it has what looks like your still.
        http://www.hogacompany.com/distillers.htm

        wrote:
        > Harry -thankyou very much for the info. it helped
        > alot, and I see how much work I have ahead of me...
        > Starting at the ball top and the neck out to the
        > worm-tube needs to be made...
        >
        > I was shocked to see this one as it is VERY close
        > to the one I have. The rivits are the same style and
        > the shape of the pot is identical...I think I'd better
        > research this a little more..as it could be worth alot
        > more than I originally thought...It's simple a
        > pleasure to be in the stewardship of it also.
        > If you'd be kind enough, to forward me anything you
        > might run across in the future I'd be very grateful,
        > and if you'd like a photo of the one I have I'd be
        > happy to send one along best= tom
        >
        > --- Harry <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
        >
        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "marshal7002"

        > > ilembic pot, hammered
        > > that can lead
        > > me
        > > pot has a 15"
        > > the "chimney-?"
        > > I've
        > > a funnel shaped
        > > > top,
        > > as possible, and
        > > the top near the
        > >

        > > Aside from the Pittsburgh references, you might also
        > > look at the old
        > > still in the Smithsonian, supposedly once belonging
        > > to George
        > > Washington, which Treasury agents confiscated from a
        > > moonshiner in
        > > Fairfax County in 1940. There are some doubts that
        > > it came from
        > > Washington's distillery. On the body are stamped the
        > > words: "R. Bush
        > > & Co Bristol 1787."
        > >
        > > There was a special batch of whiskey made Oct. 21,
        > > 2003 according to
        > > the rye recipe used by Washington himself, in an
        > > exact replica of
        > > the 200-year-old copper still in the smithsonian
        > > Institute. The
        > > Vendome Copper and Brass Works of Louisville,
        > > Kentucky
        > > http://www.vendomecopper.com/
        > > fabricated the replica and the Mt Vernon Distillery
        > > Historical
        > > Site's five copper pot stills.
        > >
        > > The mash recipe, reconstructed from the distillery's
        > > accounts,
        > > consisted of 60 percent rye, 35 percent corn, and 5
        > > percent barley,
        > > a formula that would make it closer in composition
        > > to today's rye
        > > whiskey than to bourbon.
        > >
        > > 2 pics...here...
        > >
        > http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/10/22/washingtons.whiskey.ap/
        > >
        > > ...and here...
        > >
        > http://www.nightclub.com/magazine/March01/history.html
        > >

        > > Slainte!
        > > regards Harry

        > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • mr done
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 7, 2005
          Mr Done: Thanks Don, found the round top one that
          shows up at Washington's Mt. Vernon, I think it's a
          sister to mine. Hope to be able to post a pic in some
          weeks again thanks...