Re: antique still restoration

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 29, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "marshal7002"
      <marshal7002@y...> wrote:
      > Regards to all<
      >
      > I am in the process of restoring an old ilembic pot, hammered
      > copper about 80 gallon. And I looking for anyone that can lead me
      > the proper design for the top of the still. the pot has a 15"
      > opening
      > in the top/ it's a tapered flange, that holds the "chimney-?" I've
      > seen some types that have a cylinder, some with a funnel shaped
      top,
      > and some with a dome type.
      > I'd like to restore this still to as original as possible, and
      > hope
      > to find some reliable sources for information.
      > The "POT" has a stamp of HOWARD & RODGERS on the top near the
      > neck.
      > when it's finished it will be for sale, I'm having a wrought
      iron
      > stand made for it, then the top will be made -professionally of
      > riveted copper.
      > There is also a cast condensing tank, and a slobber tank.
      > So far it's been a challenge and I can only go by what I'm told
      > about it. Being that it's from the late 1800's.
      >
      > Thank you...marshal7002@y...

      Tracked down the firm. Pittsburg circa 1790...
      Notes for Robert Rodgers
      "Made stills, washkettles, teakettles and tinware at firm located at
      Wood and Second Street."
      http://tinyurl.com/aogau

      Reference this book...
      Author: Thurston, George Henry, 1822-1895.
      Title: Pittsburgh as it is : or, facts and figures, exhibiting the
      past and present of Pittsburgh ; its advantages, resources,
      manufactures, and commerce / by George H. Thurston.
      Imprint: Pittsburgh : W. S. Haven, 1857.
      pg 136

      Contact the Pittsburgh Historic Library, they may be able to help...
      http://www.pghhistory.org/library/libraryandarchives.html

      (Damn! I wonder how much a research company would charge for this
      quick turnaround of info? ;-))

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 29, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "marshal7002"
        > <marshal7002@y...> wrote:
        > > Regards to all<
        > >
        > > I am in the process of restoring an old ilembic pot, hammered
        > > copper about 80 gallon. And I looking for anyone that can lead
        me
        > > the proper design for the top of the still. the pot has a 15"
        > > opening
        > > in the top/ it's a tapered flange, that holds the "chimney-?"
        I've
        > > seen some types that have a cylinder, some with a funnel shaped
        > top,
        > > and some with a dome type.
        > > I'd like to restore this still to as original as possible, and
        > > hope
        > > to find some reliable sources for information.
        > > The "POT" has a stamp of HOWARD & RODGERS on the top near the
        > > neck.

        Aside from the Pittsburgh references, you might also look at the old
        still in the Smithsonian, supposedly once belonging to George
        Washington, which Treasury agents confiscated from a moonshiner in
        Fairfax County in 1940. There are some doubts that it came from
        Washington's distillery. On the body are stamped the words: "R. Bush
        & Co Bristol 1787."

        There was a special batch of whiskey made Oct. 21, 2003 according to
        the rye recipe used by Washington himself, in an exact replica of
        the 200-year-old copper still in the smithsonian Institute. The
        Vendome Copper and Brass Works of Louisville, Kentucky
        http://www.vendomecopper.com/
        fabricated the replica and the Mt Vernon Distillery Historical
        Site's five copper pot stills.

        The mash recipe, reconstructed from the distillery's accounts,
        consisted of 60 percent rye, 35 percent corn, and 5 percent barley,
        a formula that would make it closer in composition to today's rye
        whiskey than to bourbon.

        2 pics...here...
        http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/10/22/washingtons.whiskey.ap/

        ...and here...
        http://www.nightclub.com/magazine/March01/history.html

      • mr done
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 29, 2005
          Harry -thankyou very much for the info. it helped
          alot, and I see how much work I have ahead of me...
          Starting at the ball top and the neck out to the
          worm-tube needs to be made...

          I was shocked to see this one as it is VERY close
          to the one I have. The rivits are the same style and
          the shape of the pot is identical...I think I'd better
          research this a little more..as it could be worth alot
          more than I originally thought...It's simple a
          pleasure to be in the stewardship of it also.
          If you'd be kind enough, to forward me anything you
          might run across in the future I'd be very grateful,
          and if you'd like a photo of the one I have I'd be
          happy to send one along best= tom

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 29, 2005
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, mr done <marshal7002@y...>
            wrote:
            > Harry -thankyou very much for the info. it helped
            > alot, and I see how much work I have ahead of me...
            > Starting at the ball top and the neck out to the
            > worm-tube needs to be made...
            >
            > I was shocked to see this one as it is VERY close
            > to the one I have. The rivits are the same style and
            > the shape of the pot is identical...I think I'd better
            > research this a little more..as it could be worth alot
            > more than I originally thought...It's simple a
            > pleasure to be in the stewardship of it also.
            > If you'd be kind enough, to forward me anything you
            > might run across in the future I'd be very grateful,
            > and if you'd like a photo of the one I have I'd be
            > happy to send one along best= tom

            Glad you found the info useful. You just might have a rare item
            there. I suggest you contact the Pittsburgh Historical Society, and
            Vendome Stills, before you start hammering away. Post a pic in the
            photos folder, left of screen. If I find anything else, you're
            welcome to it.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 29, 2005
            • sonum norbu
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                As archaeologist by trade, that is a fascinating site, Harry. I will
                spend a lot of time on it. As an aside, I have decided that IF there is
                indeed a god, s/he has to be the person who invented activated
                carbon!!!!!! Blanikdog

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                  > > > The "POT" has a stamp of HOWARD & RODGERS on the top near
                  the neck.

                  > Aside from the Pittsburgh references, you might also look at the
                  old
                  > still in the Smithsonian, supposedly once belonging to George
                  > Washington, which Treasury agents confiscated from a moonshiner in
                  > Fairfax County in 1940. There are some doubts that it came from
                  > Washington's distillery. On the body are stamped the words: "R.
                  Bush
                  > & Co Bristol 1787."

                  Further to the above, there is a reference to the stills in one of
                  George Washington's farm accounts. These accounts have been used as
                  source material for a paper on the distillery reconstruction...

                  "to erect a large Distillery:" An Architectural Reconstruction
                  Gardiner Hallock and Laura Seifert
                  Presented in the session Distilling the Past: George Washington's
                  18th-Century Whiskey Distillery from Excavation to Reconstruction at
                  the Society for Historical Archaeology Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO
                  January 2004
                  <extract>
                  "On January 13th" (1798) "an unnamed carter drove the wagon hauling
                  stills from town."
                  This wagon probably also contained the boiler. George McMunn, an
                  Alexandria copper and whitesmith who specialized in still
                  manufacturing, fabricated all four items. These three stills joined
                  two purchased the previous January creating a five still distillery,
                  with a total capacity of 616 gallons, extremely large for the
                  period. Masons Tom Davis and Muckles began work immediately bricking
                  them into furnaces, a task which took five weeks.
                  </extract>

                  From this account, it would appear that the still in the Smithsonian
                  may not be one of George's, but I'd hazard a guess that the designs
                  of stills built during that period in american history were probably
                  copies of originals imported from England. People copied what
                  worked, and fabricated with hand tools. The Industrial Revolution
                  hadn't even been thought of then. So it's possible the still in the
                  Smithsonian may have been one of the originals (from Bristol) that
                  served as the prototype. This would explain why coppersmiths from
                  Alexandria VA and Pittsburgh PA, 200 miles apart in a straight line,
                  could fashion stills that were very similar in construction and
                  appearance. They copied what they saw others using.

                • mr done
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 31, 2005
                    Dear Harry, THANKS, you are the missing link, ahem.
                    You filled in the missing pieces on this still. And I
                    can't thank you enough. I don't want to screw this
                    up, so I'm researching the still. Your info on the
                    Rodgers Robert- being part of the company, explains
                    alot on the still itself...Been talking to a guy that
                    restores antique airplanes and has the equipt to
                    "hammer out the copper" expressed an interest to help.
                    found the copper needed and will be working from the
                    photos you helped provide....I'm not a stiller and
                    will probably "play" with a batch, but intend to see
                    it restored and placed into history -somewhere so that
                    it can survive the scrap yard syndrome of our
                    society....again thanks and I'll keep you posted...if
                    your interested tom.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 31, 2005
                      wrote:
                      > Dear Harry, THANKS, you are the missing link, ahem.
                      > You filled in the missing pieces on this still. And I
                      > can't thank you enough. I don't want to screw this
                      > up, so I'm researching the still. Your info on the
                      > Rodgers Robert- being part of the company, explains
                      > alot on the still itself...Been talking to a guy that
                      > restores antique airplanes and has the equipt to
                      > "hammer out the copper" expressed an interest to help.
                      > found the copper needed and will be working from the
                      > photos you helped provide....I'm not a stiller and
                      > will probably "play" with a batch, but intend to see
                      > it restored and placed into history -somewhere so that
                      > it can survive the scrap yard syndrome of our
                      > society....again thanks and I'll keep you posted...if
                      > your interested tom.

                      We are indeed very interested, Tom. Please keep us informed.
                      Photos of the project's progress would be great.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 31, 2005
                        wrote:
                        > Dear Harry, THANKS, you are the missing link, ahem.
                        > You filled in the missing pieces on this still. And I
                        > can't thank you enough. I don't want to screw this
                        > up, so I'm researching the still. Your info on the
                        > Rodgers Robert- being part of the company, explains
                        > alot on the still itself...Been talking to a guy that
                        > restores antique airplanes and has the equipt to
                        > "hammer out the copper" expressed an interest to help.
                        > found the copper needed and will be working from the
                        > photos you helped provide....I'm not a stiller and
                        > will probably "play" with a batch, but intend to see
                        > it restored and placed into history -somewhere so that
                        > it can survive the scrap yard syndrome of our
                        > society....again thanks and I'll keep you posted...if
                        > your interested tom.

                        Tom,
                        Before you let your friend loose on the copper sheet, you might want
                        to look at this...
                        http://www.artmetal.com/village/chat/main/transcrp/981001MN.htm

                        The "English Wheel" is the method that was probably used to fashion
                        the old still parts. It's a fascinating subject.

                      • don1lia2joe3
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 7, 2005
                          If mr done is still watching, I found this site that you may find
                          interesting, it has what looks like your still.
                          http://www.hogacompany.com/distillers.htm

                          wrote:
                          > Harry -thankyou very much for the info. it helped
                          > alot, and I see how much work I have ahead of me...
                          > Starting at the ball top and the neck out to the
                          > worm-tube needs to be made...
                          >
                          > I was shocked to see this one as it is VERY close
                          > to the one I have. The rivits are the same style and
                          > the shape of the pot is identical...I think I'd better
                          > research this a little more..as it could be worth alot
                          > more than I originally thought...It's simple a
                          > pleasure to be in the stewardship of it also.
                          > If you'd be kind enough, to forward me anything you
                          > might run across in the future I'd be very grateful,
                          > and if you'd like a photo of the one I have I'd be
                          > happy to send one along best= tom
                          >
                          > --- Harry <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "marshal7002"

                          > > ilembic pot, hammered
                          > > that can lead
                          > > me
                          > > pot has a 15"
                          > > the "chimney-?"
                          > > I've
                          > > a funnel shaped
                          > > > top,
                          > > as possible, and
                          > > the top near the
                          > >

                          > > Aside from the Pittsburgh references, you might also
                          > > look at the old
                          > > still in the Smithsonian, supposedly once belonging
                          > > to George
                          > > Washington, which Treasury agents confiscated from a
                          > > moonshiner in
                          > > Fairfax County in 1940. There are some doubts that
                          > > it came from
                          > > Washington's distillery. On the body are stamped the
                          > > words: "R. Bush
                          > > & Co Bristol 1787."
                          > >
                          > > There was a special batch of whiskey made Oct. 21,
                          > > 2003 according to
                          > > the rye recipe used by Washington himself, in an
                          > > exact replica of
                          > > the 200-year-old copper still in the smithsonian
                          > > Institute. The
                          > > Vendome Copper and Brass Works of Louisville,
                          > > Kentucky
                          > > http://www.vendomecopper.com/
                          > > fabricated the replica and the Mt Vernon Distillery
                          > > Historical
                          > > Site's five copper pot stills.
                          > >
                          > > The mash recipe, reconstructed from the distillery's
                          > > accounts,
                          > > consisted of 60 percent rye, 35 percent corn, and 5
                          > > percent barley,
                          > > a formula that would make it closer in composition
                          > > to today's rye
                          > > whiskey than to bourbon.
                          > >
                          > > 2 pics...here...
                          > >
                          > http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/10/22/washingtons.whiskey.ap/
                          > >
                          > > ...and here...
                          > >
                          > http://www.nightclub.com/magazine/March01/history.html
                          > >

                          > > Slainte!
                          > > regards Harry

                          > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                        • mr done
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 7, 2005
                            Mr Done: Thanks Don, found the round top one that
                            shows up at Washington's Mt. Vernon, I think it's a
                            sister to mine. Hope to be able to post a pic in some
                            weeks again thanks...