antique still restoration

  • marshal7002
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 29, 2005
      Regards to all<

      I am in the process of restoring an old ilembic pot, hammered
      copper about 80 gallon. And I looking for anyone that can lead me to
      the proper design for the top of the still. the pot has a 15"
      opening
      in the top/ it's a tapered flange, that holds the "chimney-?" I've
      seen some types that have a cylinder, some with a funnel shaped top,
      and some with a dome type.
      I'd like to restore this still to as original as possible, and
      hope
      to find some reliable sources for information.
      The "POT" has a stamp of HOWARD & RODGERS on the top near the
      neck.
      when it's finished it will be for sale, I'm having a wrought iron
      stand made for it, then the top will be made -professionally of
      riveted copper.
      There is also a cast condensing tank, and a slobber tank.
      So far it's been a challenge and I can only go by what I'm told
      about it. Being that it's from the late 1800's.

      Thank you...marshal7002@...
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 29, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "marshal7002"
        <marshal7002@y...> wrote:
        > Regards to all<
        >
        > I am in the process of restoring an old ilembic pot, hammered
        > copper about 80 gallon. And I looking for anyone that can lead me
        > the proper design for the top of the still. the pot has a 15"
        > opening
        > in the top/ it's a tapered flange, that holds the "chimney-?" I've
        > seen some types that have a cylinder, some with a funnel shaped
        top,
        > and some with a dome type.
        > I'd like to restore this still to as original as possible, and
        > hope
        > to find some reliable sources for information.
        > The "POT" has a stamp of HOWARD & RODGERS on the top near the
        > neck.
        > when it's finished it will be for sale, I'm having a wrought
        iron
        > stand made for it, then the top will be made -professionally of
        > riveted copper.
        > There is also a cast condensing tank, and a slobber tank.
        > So far it's been a challenge and I can only go by what I'm told
        > about it. Being that it's from the late 1800's.
        >
        > Thank you...marshal7002@y...

        Tracked down the firm. Pittsburg circa 1790...
        Notes for Robert Rodgers
        "Made stills, washkettles, teakettles and tinware at firm located at
        Wood and Second Street."
        http://tinyurl.com/aogau

        Reference this book...
        Author: Thurston, George Henry, 1822-1895.
        Title: Pittsburgh as it is : or, facts and figures, exhibiting the
        past and present of Pittsburgh ; its advantages, resources,
        manufactures, and commerce / by George H. Thurston.
        Imprint: Pittsburgh : W. S. Haven, 1857.
        pg 136

        Contact the Pittsburgh Historic Library, they may be able to help...
        http://www.pghhistory.org/library/libraryandarchives.html

        (Damn! I wonder how much a research company would charge for this
        quick turnaround of info? ;-))

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 29, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "marshal7002"
          > <marshal7002@y...> wrote:
          > > Regards to all<
          > >
          > > I am in the process of restoring an old ilembic pot, hammered
          > > copper about 80 gallon. And I looking for anyone that can lead
          me
          > > the proper design for the top of the still. the pot has a 15"
          > > opening
          > > in the top/ it's a tapered flange, that holds the "chimney-?"
          I've
          > > seen some types that have a cylinder, some with a funnel shaped
          > top,
          > > and some with a dome type.
          > > I'd like to restore this still to as original as possible, and
          > > hope
          > > to find some reliable sources for information.
          > > The "POT" has a stamp of HOWARD & RODGERS on the top near the
          > > neck.

          Aside from the Pittsburgh references, you might also look at the old
          still in the Smithsonian, supposedly once belonging to George
          Washington, which Treasury agents confiscated from a moonshiner in
          Fairfax County in 1940. There are some doubts that it came from
          Washington's distillery. On the body are stamped the words: "R. Bush
          & Co Bristol 1787."

          There was a special batch of whiskey made Oct. 21, 2003 according to
          the rye recipe used by Washington himself, in an exact replica of
          the 200-year-old copper still in the smithsonian Institute. The
          Vendome Copper and Brass Works of Louisville, Kentucky
          http://www.vendomecopper.com/
          fabricated the replica and the Mt Vernon Distillery Historical
          Site's five copper pot stills.

          The mash recipe, reconstructed from the distillery's accounts,
          consisted of 60 percent rye, 35 percent corn, and 5 percent barley,
          a formula that would make it closer in composition to today's rye
          whiskey than to bourbon.

          2 pics...here...
          http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/10/22/washingtons.whiskey.ap/

          ...and here...
          http://www.nightclub.com/magazine/March01/history.html

        • mr done
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 29, 2005
            Harry -thankyou very much for the info. it helped
            alot, and I see how much work I have ahead of me...
            Starting at the ball top and the neck out to the
            worm-tube needs to be made...

            I was shocked to see this one as it is VERY close
            to the one I have. The rivits are the same style and
            the shape of the pot is identical...I think I'd better
            research this a little more..as it could be worth alot
            more than I originally thought...It's simple a
            pleasure to be in the stewardship of it also.
            If you'd be kind enough, to forward me anything you
            might run across in the future I'd be very grateful,
            and if you'd like a photo of the one I have I'd be
            happy to send one along best= tom

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 29, 2005
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, mr done <marshal7002@y...>
              wrote:
              > Harry -thankyou very much for the info. it helped
              > alot, and I see how much work I have ahead of me...
              > Starting at the ball top and the neck out to the
              > worm-tube needs to be made...
              >
              > I was shocked to see this one as it is VERY close
              > to the one I have. The rivits are the same style and
              > the shape of the pot is identical...I think I'd better
              > research this a little more..as it could be worth alot
              > more than I originally thought...It's simple a
              > pleasure to be in the stewardship of it also.
              > If you'd be kind enough, to forward me anything you
              > might run across in the future I'd be very grateful,
              > and if you'd like a photo of the one I have I'd be
              > happy to send one along best= tom

              Glad you found the info useful. You just might have a rare item
              there. I suggest you contact the Pittsburgh Historical Society, and
              Vendome Stills, before you start hammering away. Post a pic in the
              photos folder, left of screen. If I find anything else, you're
              welcome to it.

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 29, 2005
              • sonum norbu
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                  As archaeologist by trade, that is a fascinating site, Harry. I will
                  spend a lot of time on it. As an aside, I have decided that IF there is
                  indeed a god, s/he has to be the person who invented activated
                  carbon!!!!!! Blanikdog

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 30, 2005
                    > > > The "POT" has a stamp of HOWARD & RODGERS on the top near
                    the neck.

                    > Aside from the Pittsburgh references, you might also look at the
                    old
                    > still in the Smithsonian, supposedly once belonging to George
                    > Washington, which Treasury agents confiscated from a moonshiner in
                    > Fairfax County in 1940. There are some doubts that it came from
                    > Washington's distillery. On the body are stamped the words: "R.
                    Bush
                    > & Co Bristol 1787."

                    Further to the above, there is a reference to the stills in one of
                    George Washington's farm accounts. These accounts have been used as
                    source material for a paper on the distillery reconstruction...

                    "to erect a large Distillery:" An Architectural Reconstruction
                    Gardiner Hallock and Laura Seifert
                    Presented in the session Distilling the Past: George Washington's
                    18th-Century Whiskey Distillery from Excavation to Reconstruction at
                    the Society for Historical Archaeology Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO
                    January 2004
                    <extract>
                    "On January 13th" (1798) "an unnamed carter drove the wagon hauling
                    stills from town."
                    This wagon probably also contained the boiler. George McMunn, an
                    Alexandria copper and whitesmith who specialized in still
                    manufacturing, fabricated all four items. These three stills joined
                    two purchased the previous January creating a five still distillery,
                    with a total capacity of 616 gallons, extremely large for the
                    period. Masons Tom Davis and Muckles began work immediately bricking
                    them into furnaces, a task which took five weeks.
                    </extract>

                    From this account, it would appear that the still in the Smithsonian
                    may not be one of George's, but I'd hazard a guess that the designs
                    of stills built during that period in american history were probably
                    copies of originals imported from England. People copied what
                    worked, and fabricated with hand tools. The Industrial Revolution
                    hadn't even been thought of then. So it's possible the still in the
                    Smithsonian may have been one of the originals (from Bristol) that
                    served as the prototype. This would explain why coppersmiths from
                    Alexandria VA and Pittsburgh PA, 200 miles apart in a straight line,
                    could fashion stills that were very similar in construction and
                    appearance. They copied what they saw others using.

                  • mr done
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 31, 2005
                      Dear Harry, THANKS, you are the missing link, ahem.
                      You filled in the missing pieces on this still. And I
                      can't thank you enough. I don't want to screw this
                      up, so I'm researching the still. Your info on the
                      Rodgers Robert- being part of the company, explains
                      alot on the still itself...Been talking to a guy that
                      restores antique airplanes and has the equipt to
                      "hammer out the copper" expressed an interest to help.
                      found the copper needed and will be working from the
                      photos you helped provide....I'm not a stiller and
                      will probably "play" with a batch, but intend to see
                      it restored and placed into history -somewhere so that
                      it can survive the scrap yard syndrome of our
                      society....again thanks and I'll keep you posted...if
                      your interested tom.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 31, 2005
                        wrote:
                        > Dear Harry, THANKS, you are the missing link, ahem.
                        > You filled in the missing pieces on this still. And I
                        > can't thank you enough. I don't want to screw this
                        > up, so I'm researching the still. Your info on the
                        > Rodgers Robert- being part of the company, explains
                        > alot on the still itself...Been talking to a guy that
                        > restores antique airplanes and has the equipt to
                        > "hammer out the copper" expressed an interest to help.
                        > found the copper needed and will be working from the
                        > photos you helped provide....I'm not a stiller and
                        > will probably "play" with a batch, but intend to see
                        > it restored and placed into history -somewhere so that
                        > it can survive the scrap yard syndrome of our
                        > society....again thanks and I'll keep you posted...if
                        > your interested tom.

                        We are indeed very interested, Tom. Please keep us informed.
                        Photos of the project's progress would be great.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 31, 2005
                          wrote:
                          > Dear Harry, THANKS, you are the missing link, ahem.
                          > You filled in the missing pieces on this still. And I
                          > can't thank you enough. I don't want to screw this
                          > up, so I'm researching the still. Your info on the
                          > Rodgers Robert- being part of the company, explains
                          > alot on the still itself...Been talking to a guy that
                          > restores antique airplanes and has the equipt to
                          > "hammer out the copper" expressed an interest to help.
                          > found the copper needed and will be working from the
                          > photos you helped provide....I'm not a stiller and
                          > will probably "play" with a batch, but intend to see
                          > it restored and placed into history -somewhere so that
                          > it can survive the scrap yard syndrome of our
                          > society....again thanks and I'll keep you posted...if
                          > your interested tom.

                          Tom,
                          Before you let your friend loose on the copper sheet, you might want
                          to look at this...
                          http://www.artmetal.com/village/chat/main/transcrp/981001MN.htm

                          The "English Wheel" is the method that was probably used to fashion
                          the old still parts. It's a fascinating subject.

                        • don1lia2joe3
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 7, 2005
                            If mr done is still watching, I found this site that you may find
                            interesting, it has what looks like your still.
                            http://www.hogacompany.com/distillers.htm

                            wrote:
                            > Harry -thankyou very much for the info. it helped
                            > alot, and I see how much work I have ahead of me...
                            > Starting at the ball top and the neck out to the
                            > worm-tube needs to be made...
                            >
                            > I was shocked to see this one as it is VERY close
                            > to the one I have. The rivits are the same style and
                            > the shape of the pot is identical...I think I'd better
                            > research this a little more..as it could be worth alot
                            > more than I originally thought...It's simple a
                            > pleasure to be in the stewardship of it also.
                            > If you'd be kind enough, to forward me anything you
                            > might run across in the future I'd be very grateful,
                            > and if you'd like a photo of the one I have I'd be
                            > happy to send one along best= tom
                            >
                            > --- Harry <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "marshal7002"

                            > > ilembic pot, hammered
                            > > that can lead
                            > > me
                            > > pot has a 15"
                            > > the "chimney-?"
                            > > I've
                            > > a funnel shaped
                            > > > top,
                            > > as possible, and
                            > > the top near the
                            > >

                            > > Aside from the Pittsburgh references, you might also
                            > > look at the old
                            > > still in the Smithsonian, supposedly once belonging
                            > > to George
                            > > Washington, which Treasury agents confiscated from a
                            > > moonshiner in
                            > > Fairfax County in 1940. There are some doubts that
                            > > it came from
                            > > Washington's distillery. On the body are stamped the
                            > > words: "R. Bush
                            > > & Co Bristol 1787."
                            > >
                            > > There was a special batch of whiskey made Oct. 21,
                            > > 2003 according to
                            > > the rye recipe used by Washington himself, in an
                            > > exact replica of
                            > > the 200-year-old copper still in the smithsonian
                            > > Institute. The
                            > > Vendome Copper and Brass Works of Louisville,
                            > > Kentucky
                            > > http://www.vendomecopper.com/
                            > > fabricated the replica and the Mt Vernon Distillery
                            > > Historical
                            > > Site's five copper pot stills.
                            > >
                            > > The mash recipe, reconstructed from the distillery's
                            > > accounts,
                            > > consisted of 60 percent rye, 35 percent corn, and 5
                            > > percent barley,
                            > > a formula that would make it closer in composition
                            > > to today's rye
                            > > whiskey than to bourbon.
                            > >
                            > > 2 pics...here...
                            > >
                            > http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/10/22/washingtons.whiskey.ap/
                            > >
                            > > ...and here...
                            > >
                            > http://www.nightclub.com/magazine/March01/history.html
                            > >

                            > > Slainte!
                            > > regards Harry

                            > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          • mr done
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 7, 2005
                              Mr Done: Thanks Don, found the round top one that
                              shows up at Washington's Mt. Vernon, I think it's a
                              sister to mine. Hope to be able to post a pic in some
                              weeks again thanks...