Re: [new_distillers] constructing still - part III

  • Mel Robinson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2001
      LOL......
      > I did not realize that silicone was food grade. Now I understand why
      silicone was used in breast implants!

      Actually not all Silicone is food grade, the stuff that is coloured I would
      stay away from, the stuff that is recommended for Aquariums I would and have
      used, the stuff marked food grade is the stuff to use.
      Mel
    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 2001
        Excuse my wanderings, but the elderly have a special dispensation, somewhere.
        The mention of "coloured" silicone and inplants just makes me wonder if anyone
        has ever seen blue ........, well...... you know what I mean.
        Keep truckin'
        John V

      • distilerman@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 28, 2001
          Hi John,
          Had the same problem when I built my still, You can get a compression
          fitting that will fit 2" pipe from a plumbing supply store (the size
          is 54mm here in the uk) Ask for a tank conector in the size you
          require but beware the price!!(around £20- you can convert ;)) it
          will clamp to the lid with the
          compression fitting on the top. You can then slip the column onto
          this
          and tighten down (the large!)nut. it only needs to be slightly over
          hand tight. you shouldent get any vapor escaping.
          Difficult to explaine but easy to see!!
          Your sketch would also work but is a bit more fiddly.
          Hope this helps

          Carl

          --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>
          wrote:
          > Hello,
          > I am still wandering along, looking at the plans and the materials.
          > Instead of describing progress, I pose an immediate question i.e.
          > I am puzzled over how to attach the column (3-4' of 2"copper) to
          the boiler
          > lid (20L lightweight stainless stock pot). I am not so much
          worried right
          > now about the weight of the whole shebang on the lid of the boiler -
          as I
          > am over how to seal things. Everything I have read indicates that
          one
          > should be able to dissemble the column to clean, hide. How do I
          make the
          > column sothat I can take it apart simply, without installing v.
          expensive
          > screw joints? Can I simply bolt a slightly over-size sleeve to the
          lid,
          > and then slide the column into that, along with some high temp.
          caulking