Re: Taste

    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 6, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chio0744" <chio0744@y...>
      wrote:
      How do i stabalize the still for 30 minutes without
      > collecting any liquids?

      I could be wrong, but I don't think you can with this design of
      still. Stabilization is running under total reflux i.e. No
      collection, ALL condensate returning back to the column packing. I
      suggest you email Rick Morris at Brewhaus, the owner. He may be able
      to suggest a method.

    • J W
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 6, 2005
        Hi
        I agree with Harry you need to ask if the still will
        run under full reflux.
        You might increase the water flow before it gets to
        temperature to keep the head temp lower. You need to
        collect the for shots & heads very slowly to make
        shore you have them all. Keep the water flow higher
        and collection rate slower.
        You might be better to do a second distillation to get
        a better product, if you are making gin, or very
        slight flavoured products.
        If you then put on carbon for a month you will have a
        neutral product.
        It is a long time but well worth it for great product.
        Read below link and find out heaps you need to know.
        http://homedistiller.org/
        JW

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 6, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chio0744" <chio0744@y...>
          > wrote:
          > How do i stabalize the still for 30 minutes without
          > > collecting any liquids?
          >

          > I could be wrong, but I don't think you can with this design of
          > still. Stabilization is running under total reflux i.e. No
          > collection, ALL condensate returning back to the column packing.
          > suggest you email Rick Morris at Brewhaus, the owner. He may be
          able
          > to suggest a method.
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

          Further to the story...
          You set up your still...You boil 'er up. You wanna set for total
          reflux, so you reach for the product takeoff valve to shut it
          off....hmmmm, no valve. Ok, run the thru-tube water full bore.
          What? Still gettin' something dripping outta the takeoff pipe?
          Well all that says is the thru-tubes can't handle the vapour you're
          throwing at it. Either lower the heat, or increase the water flow,
          or if you're handy with fabrication, redesign the still to allow
          total reflux capability. This thread may be worth a look...
          http://tinyurl.com/7nfne

        • chio0744
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 7, 2005
            Thanks for the reply fellows. is it possible for me to put the 40%
            mixture of alcohol and water back into the still and distill it
            again? If so, do i need to add more water and/or be concerned of
            boiling the still dry? Am making Gin. putting the gin on charcol for
            a month. Can you elaborate? thanks again. --- In
            new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chio0744" <chio0744@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > How do i stabalize the still for 30 minutes without
            > > > collecting any liquids?
            > >

            > > I could be wrong, but I don't think you can with this design of
            > > still. Stabilization is running under total reflux i.e. No
            > > collection, ALL condensate returning back to the column packing.
            > > suggest you email Rick Morris at Brewhaus, the owner. He may be
            > able
            > > to suggest a method.
            > >

            > > Slainte!
            > > regards Harry
            >

            > Further to the story...
            > You set up your still...You boil 'er up. You wanna set for total
            > reflux, so you reach for the product takeoff valve to shut it
            > off....hmmmm, no valve. Ok, run the thru-tube water full bore.
            > What? Still gettin' something dripping outta the takeoff pipe?
            > Well all that says is the thru-tubes can't handle the vapour you're
            > throwing at it. Either lower the heat, or increase the water flow,
            > or if you're handy with fabrication, redesign the still to allow
            > total reflux capability. This thread may be worth a look...
            > http://tinyurl.com/7nfne
            >
            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry
          • Lindsay Williams
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 7, 2005
              Yes, you can re-distill it. And, no, with a mixture containing 60%
              water it would not be possible to boil it dry (unless you just keep
              boiling it long after the alco stops!). The only time you need to
              worry about boiling it dry is if you are heating with electric
              elements where the qty of water left may not be eonough to fully cover
              the element(s).

              A good gin needs pure etoh. Any heads or tails stuff in it will show
              through. Some people drink it like this, anyway, but there you go.
              Each to his/her own. Because your output will not be terribly pure,
              you will need to treat it with activated carbon by either filtering it
              or adding the carbon to your bottle of product. (But don't add the gin
              essence till after the filtering or the carbon will remove the flavour!).

              Suggestion:- use the "Links" link to the left and search the old posts
              for info on all your topics. They have been covered many times and you
              will learn a lot.

              Cheers,
              Lindsay.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chio0744" <chio0744@y...> wrote:
              > Thanks for the reply fellows. is it possible for me to put the 40%
              > mixture of alcohol and water back into the still and distill it
              > again? If so, do i need to add more water and/or be concerned of
              > boiling the still dry? Am making Gin. putting the gin on charcol for
              > a month. Can you elaborate? thanks again. --- In
              > new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:
              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chio0744" <chio0744@y...>
              > > > wrote:
              > > > How do i stabalize the still for 30 minutes without
              > > >

              > > > I could be wrong, but I don't think you can with this design of
              > > > still. Stabilization is running under total reflux i.e. No
              > > > collection, ALL condensate returning back to the column packing.
              > > > suggest you email Rick Morris at Brewhaus, the owner. He may be
              > > able
              > > > to suggest a method.
              > > >

              > > > Slainte!
              > > > regards Harry
              > >

              > > Further to the story...
              > > You set up your still...You boil 'er up. You wanna set for total
              > > reflux, so you reach for the product takeoff valve to shut it
              > > off....hmmmm, no valve. Ok, run the thru-tube water full bore.
              > > What? Still gettin' something dripping outta the takeoff pipe?
              > > Well all that says is the thru-tubes can't handle the vapour you're
              > > throwing at it. Either lower the heat, or increase the water flow,
              > > or if you're handy with fabrication, redesign the still to allow
              > > total reflux capability. This thread may be worth a look...
              > > http://tinyurl.com/7nfne
              > >
              > > Slainte!
              > > regards Harry
            • J W
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 7, 2005
                Hi
                You can re-distil 40%. You need to measure how many
                litres it takes to cover your element in the pot. Then
                work out how many litres of 40% you intent to
                re-distil. If your finished product is 90% then 60% of
                what you intend to re-distil will be left in the pot.

                Formula
                Volume (in mills) times percent divided by 100 =
                amount of 100% = Number of mills of 100%

                Eg if you start with 10 litres =10000mill you should
                have 4 litres of 100% in it.
                10000x40%/100=4000 mill which is 4 litres
                So for 90% end product 10000x40%/90=4444 mills.
                This will leave 5556 mills of your original 10 litres
                in the still.
                So if you started with 10 litres of 40% and collect
                90% product the most you could get is 4444 mills.
                As you will not remove all alcohol you will end up
                with less.
                Use this formula to make shore the remanning mash will
                cover element. If not add enough extra water to cover
                element.
                JW

                --- chio0744 <chio0744@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the reply fellows. is it possible for me
                > to put the 40%
                > mixture of alcohol and water back into the still and
                > distill it
                > again? If so, do i need to add more water and/or be
                > concerned of
                > boiling the still dry? Am making Gin. putting the
                > gin on charcol for
                > a month. Can you elaborate? thanks again. --- In

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Robert Thomas
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 8, 2005
                  Make a tincture of the various botanicals (juniper,
                  corriander works for me) in as strong a product you
                  can make (say 50% if pos). Leave a week or two. dilute
                  down (to anything) and distill using a pan/lid/ice
                  method or mini still. Use the resulting concentrate to
                  dose your alcohol at drinking strength + after
                  charcoal. add a little, taste a little, add a little,
                  taste...... till it's close (maybe slightly too much)
                  and allow to mature (mine is ok right away, good after
                  a week, great after a month, and then gone).
                  Rob.

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • enibnikrib
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chio0744" <chio0744@y...> wrote:
                    > Ran my first batch, achieved a 93% purity, added water to bring to 40%,
                    > added a gin essence to 1L of mixture: result - tasted like wood
                    > alcohol.Any ideas as to why the taste is so bad or how the problem can
                    > be fixed? the liquid is nice and clear but has a very strong
                    > (alcohol ?) smell.I was under the impression that there would be little

                    > or no smell.
                    If at first it does not taste like vodka, its not going to get any better
                  • toddk63
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
                      Overall purity of 93% could be suspect. When I fractionate, I have
                      noticed that anything below 92% or 93% is unacceptable to add to the
                      main cut. Most of my main cut is 94% and I am trying to make rum not
                      neutral spirit.

                      Todd K.

                    • jmsmckenna@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
                        most of my cut is 93% an it makes very acceptable poteen or at least it does
                        in ireland

                      • pthoma_nz
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 18, 2005
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, jmsmckenna@a... wrote:
                          > most of my cut is 93% an it makes very acceptable poteen or at least
                          it does
                          > in ireland

                          I agree,
                          anything over 90 is fine. Cut to 40%, store in glass, drop some carbon
                          in. Leave for one month. Then taste. I bet it will taste 10x better.

                          Aging always helps. Best with cork so it can breathe.
                        • jkirby007@netzero.net
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 18, 2005
                            This is kinda off the subject, but do you folks put pure corn lkker on oak chips and what effect does it have on the taste if you do,
                            i just finished a brew of 50 gallons of corn mash and cooed it off and filterd at 100 proof and it tastes good, what can i expect from oaking it now
                            I would appreciate all responses to this , good and bad,
                            thanks jesse jkirby007@...

                          • Robert Thomas
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 18, 2005
                              Hi Jesse,
                              Oak will add various different flavours depending on
                              amount (if any) charring, length of time, etc. I
                              personally go with some oak unless I want vodka or
                              raki) or I'm going to make a liqueur. To me oak adds a
                              slightly woody, sweet, aroma initially. After some
                              time it becomes pretty complex, almost like a neutral
                              spirit could become a whiskey/bourbon. I exagerate a
                              bit, but try it with a small amount. You'll either
                              love it, want to play more, or give up and
                              charcoal/redistill.
                              Personally I'd recommend it for anything but the
                              "cleanest" product.
                              Rob.

                              --- "jkirby007@..." <jkirby007@...>
                              wrote:

                              > This is kinda off the subject, but do you folks put
                              > pure corn lkker on oak chips and what effect does it
                              > have on the taste if you do,
                              > i just finished a brew of 50 gallons of corn mash
                              > and cooed it off and filterd at 100 proof and it
                              > tastes good, what can i expect from oaking it now
                              > I would appreciate all responses to this , good and
                              > bad,
                              > thanks jesse jkirby007@...

                              > removed]

                              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                            • Brendan Keith
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 18, 2005
                                I made about a gallon of liquor of 50%abv from a 80% corn / 20% malt grain
                                bill. It tasted fine when raw, but then I put it in a jar with about 5
                                sticks of untreated oak flooring, 5" long, 1/2" x 1/2" cross-section,
                                charred with a blow torch. After a couple days it took on a nice colour,
                                after two weeks there was a nice caramel/burnt marshmallow taste to it.

                                --
                                Brendan Keith
                                bkeith@...

                              • greg tufts
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 18, 2005
                                  Have put corn likker on charred oak and liked it. Next
                                  batch
                                  of corn likker I may try a quart on charred maple. If
                                  I don't
                                  like it I'll just cook it off again
                                  cheers
                                  greg
                                  --- "jkirby007@..." <jkirby007@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  ---------------------------------
                                  This is kinda off the subject, but do you folks put
                                  pure corn lkker on oak chips and what effect does it
                                  have on the taste if you do,
                                  i just finished a brew of 50 gallons of corn mash and
                                  cooed it off and filterd at 100 proof and it tastes
                                  good, what can i expect from oaking it now
                                  I would appreciate all responses to this , good and
                                  bad,
                                  thanks jesse jkirby007@...

                                  New Distillers group archives are at
                                  http://archive.nnytech.net/
                                  FAQ and other information available at
                                  http://homedistiller.org

                                  distilling Culture
                                  Organizational
                                  culture
                                  Distillers

                                  Terms of Service.

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • popwahtosh
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 18, 2005
                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jkirby007@n..."
                                    <jkirby007@n...> wrote:
                                    > This is kinda off the subject, but do you folks put pure corn lkker
                                    on oak chips and what effect does it have on the taste if you do,
                                    > i just finished a brew of 50 gallons of corn mash and cooed it off
                                    and filterd at 100 proof and it tastes good, what can i expect from
                                    oaking it now
                                    > I would appreciate all responses to this , good and bad,
                                    > thanks jesse jkirby007@n...
                                  • mibergeron77
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 27, 2008
                                      Hey Folks,

                                      I've just started experimenting with distilling. I've got what I think
                                      is a pretty good little pot still. I've run 2 batches through it. The
                                      first was to be a rum and the second was a whiskey.

                                      The rum turned out quite nice (considering it was our first crack at
                                      it) but the whiskey came out tasting almost exactly the same...we're
                                      not sure why.

                                      Any sugestions?
                                    • rye_junkie1
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 27, 2008
                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mibergeron77"
                                        <mibergeron77@...> wrote:

                                        > Hey Folks,
                                        >
                                        > I've just started experimenting with distilling. I've got what I think
                                        > is a pretty good little pot still. I've run 2 batches through it. The
                                        > first was to be a rum and the second was a whiskey.
                                        >
                                        > The rum turned out quite nice (considering it was our first crack at
                                        > it) but the whiskey came out tasting almost exactly the same...we're
                                        > not sure why.
                                        >
                                        > Any sugestions?

                                        What were your recipes use for both?
                                        Aging has a tremendous amount of effect on taste. For whiskey it is
                                        said that some 70% of the flavor comes from the barrel. If you used
                                        simple brown sugar for your rum there wouldnt be much difference at
                                        all. For a strong rum flavor you would need to use molasses. Most of
                                        the drink you make will be very similar weather it be rum, whiskey or
                                        brandy. There individual flavors will come through but the main
                                        ingredient in the finished product is the same. Ethanol.

                                        Mason