Re: [new_distillers] Building a Wine Filter

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
      Yes, I nearly always use pectic enzyme with country wines.
      At 08:25 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
      >Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
      >need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
      >necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
      >settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

    • Dean Thomas
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
        I know that many "Professional" Home brewers filter their beers for
        clarity, Especially ones destined for judging. One that comes to mind is
        cold filtering. A quick google search should get you hundreds of hits.

        Dean.

        Derek Hamlet wrote:

        >Yes, I nearly always use pectic enzyme with country wines.
        >At 08:25 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
        >

        >>Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
        >>need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
        >>necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
        >>settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
          If you can filter beer, you can filter anything. Try
          this link for a start:
          http://tinyurl.com/aem7d
          You'll only need a second pressure vessel if you want
          fizzy wine (I think, though hydrostatic pressure is a
          term that suddenly sprang to mind. Engineers out
          there?)
          Rob.

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs