Re: [new_distillers] Re: Building a Wine Filter

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
      Read the article. I wouldn't do it quite like that, but, it did
      provide me with some ideas for direction.
      Many thanks.
      At 07:50 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
      >thought you might find this interesting, although i haven't built it.
      >
      >http://brewery.org/brewery/library/FiltInst.html
      >
      >BR
      >
      >-
    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
        Yes, I nearly always use pectic enzyme with country wines.
        At 08:25 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
        >Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
        >need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
        >necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
        >settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

      • Dean Thomas
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
          I know that many "Professional" Home brewers filter their beers for
          clarity, Especially ones destined for judging. One that comes to mind is
          cold filtering. A quick google search should get you hundreds of hits.

          Dean.

          Derek Hamlet wrote:

          >Yes, I nearly always use pectic enzyme with country wines.
          >At 08:25 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
          >

          >>Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
          >>need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
          >>necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
          >>settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
            If you can filter beer, you can filter anything. Try
            this link for a start:
            http://tinyurl.com/aem7d
            You'll only need a second pressure vessel if you want
            fizzy wine (I think, though hydrostatic pressure is a
            term that suddenly sprang to mind. Engineers out
            there?)
            Rob.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs