Re: [new_distillers] Building a Wine Filter

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
      I agree about the O2 thing obviously and I would never filter a red
      wine, but, I've never found that whites get flavor stripped from
      either fining or filtering.
      At 06:39 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
      >Pressurize with co2. The wine will absorb the o2 and change . Some
      >of the early wines I made that got too much exposure to o2 now smell
      >like wet paper bags.! Always aviod 02 in wine making. Ive seen
      >people flush empty bottles and carboys with co2 just to avoid the
      >o2. Noo2OK. Filters can remove flavors and color. I use other ways of fining.
      >
      >Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:.
      >I want to build my own wine filter.
    • Derek Hamlet
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
        Read the article. I wouldn't do it quite like that, but, it did
        provide me with some ideas for direction.
        Many thanks.
        At 07:50 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
        >thought you might find this interesting, although i haven't built it.
        >
        >http://brewery.org/brewery/library/FiltInst.html
        >
        >BR
        >
        >-
      • Derek Hamlet
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
          Yes, I nearly always use pectic enzyme with country wines.
          At 08:25 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
          >Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
          >need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
          >necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
          >settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

        • Dean Thomas
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
            I know that many "Professional" Home brewers filter their beers for
            clarity, Especially ones destined for judging. One that comes to mind is
            cold filtering. A quick google search should get you hundreds of hits.

            Dean.

            Derek Hamlet wrote:

            >Yes, I nearly always use pectic enzyme with country wines.
            >At 08:25 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
            >

            >>Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
            >>need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
            >>necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
            >>settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

          • Robert Thomas
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
              If you can filter beer, you can filter anything. Try
              this link for a start:
              http://tinyurl.com/aem7d
              You'll only need a second pressure vessel if you want
              fizzy wine (I think, though hydrostatic pressure is a
              term that suddenly sprang to mind. Engineers out
              there?)
              Rob.

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs