Re: [new_distillers] Building a Wine Filter

  • sonum norbu
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
      Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
      need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
      necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
      settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
        I agree about the O2 thing obviously and I would never filter a red
        wine, but, I've never found that whites get flavor stripped from
        either fining or filtering.
        At 06:39 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
        >Pressurize with co2. The wine will absorb the o2 and change . Some
        >of the early wines I made that got too much exposure to o2 now smell
        >like wet paper bags.! Always aviod 02 in wine making. Ive seen
        >people flush empty bottles and carboys with co2 just to avoid the
        >o2. Noo2OK. Filters can remove flavors and color. I use other ways of fining.
        >
        >Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:.
        >I want to build my own wine filter.
      • Derek Hamlet
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
          Read the article. I wouldn't do it quite like that, but, it did
          provide me with some ideas for direction.
          Many thanks.
          At 07:50 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
          >thought you might find this interesting, although i haven't built it.
          >
          >http://brewery.org/brewery/library/FiltInst.html
          >
          >BR
          >
          >-
        • Derek Hamlet
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
            Yes, I nearly always use pectic enzyme with country wines.
            At 08:25 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
            >Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
            >need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
            >necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
            >settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

          • Dean Thomas
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
              I know that many "Professional" Home brewers filter their beers for
              clarity, Especially ones destined for judging. One that comes to mind is
              cold filtering. A quick google search should get you hundreds of hits.

              Dean.

              Derek Hamlet wrote:

              >Yes, I nearly always use pectic enzyme with country wines.
              >At 08:25 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
              >

              >>Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
              >>need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
              >>necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
              >>settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

            • Robert Thomas
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
                If you can filter beer, you can filter anything. Try
                this link for a start:
                http://tinyurl.com/aem7d
                You'll only need a second pressure vessel if you want
                fizzy wine (I think, though hydrostatic pressure is a
                term that suddenly sprang to mind. Engineers out
                there?)
                Rob.

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs