Re: Building a Wine Filter

  • bradr36
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
      thought you might find this interesting, although i haven't built it.

      http://brewery.org/brewery/library/FiltInst.html

      BR

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet
      <derekhamlet@s...> wrote:
      > Sometime ago I stopped reading the wine list I belong to, however,
      on
      > occasion questions arise that intrigue me. This group has so many
      > experts that I thought I'd share my latest curiosity.
      > I want to build my own wine filter. I've had some experiences
      using
      > low end comercial wine filters. To say they are woefully lacking
      is
      > an understatement. This year I'm making a lot of country wines in
      > the hopes I can tipple at those and save my good grape wines for
      longer aging.
      > I'm making plum, pear, apple, blackberry, plum and fig wines from
      > free fruit. Even with fining it is sometimes hard to clarify fruit
      wines.
      > What I want to do is design something that is buildable a home to
      > filter these products in batches of approx. 23 litres.
      > I have pressure (a compressor). I have a 39 litre stainless steel
      > commercial fizzy wine container. It looks like one of those 23
      litre
      > pop containers used in restaurant; just a bit bigger. I was
      thinking
      > is I could design some way of inserting filter pads into this rig
      > with a take off on the bottom, I could add the wine, pressurize the
      > unit and have filtered wine.
      > I would appreciate any and all ideas that anyone has to offer.
    • sonum norbu
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
        Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
        need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
        necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
        settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

[...]

        SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
        http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
        IRC server tessnet.cx

      • Derek Hamlet
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
          I agree about the O2 thing obviously and I would never filter a red
          wine, but, I've never found that whites get flavor stripped from
          either fining or filtering.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
            Read the article. I wouldn't do it quite like that, but, it did
            provide me with some ideas for direction.
            Many thanks.
            At 07:50 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
            >thought you might find this interesting, although i haven't built it.
            >
            >http://brewery.org/brewery/library/FiltInst.html
            >
            >BR
            >
            >-
          • Derek Hamlet
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
              Yes, I nearly always use pectic enzyme with country wines.
              At 08:25 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
              >Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
              >need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
              >necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
              >settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

            • Dean Thomas
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
                I know that many "Professional" Home brewers filter their beers for
                clarity, Especially ones destined for judging. One that comes to mind is
                cold filtering. A quick google search should get you hundreds of hits.

                Dean.

                Derek Hamlet wrote:

                >Yes, I nearly always use pectic enzyme with country wines.
                >At 08:25 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
                >

                >>Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
                >>need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
                >>necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
                >>settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

              • Robert Thomas
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
                  If you can filter beer, you can filter anything. Try
                  this link for a start:
                  http://tinyurl.com/aem7d
                  You'll only need a second pressure vessel if you want
                  fizzy wine (I think, though hydrostatic pressure is a
                  term that suddenly sprang to mind. Engineers out
                  there?)
                  Rob.

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs