Building a Wine Filter

  • Derek Hamlet
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
      Sometime ago I stopped reading the wine list I belong to, however, on
      occasion questions arise that intrigue me. This group has so many
      experts that I thought I'd share my latest curiosity.
      I want to build my own wine filter. I've had some experiences using
      low end comercial wine filters. To say they are woefully lacking is
      an understatement. This year I'm making a lot of country wines in
      the hopes I can tipple at those and save my good grape wines for longer aging.
      I'm making plum, pear, apple, blackberry, plum and fig wines from
      free fruit. Even with fining it is sometimes hard to clarify fruit wines.
      What I want to do is design something that is buildable a home to
      filter these products in batches of approx. 23 litres.
      I have pressure (a compressor). I have a 39 litre stainless steel
      commercial fizzy wine container. It looks like one of those 23 litre
      pop containers used in restaurant; just a bit bigger. I was thinking
      is I could design some way of inserting filter pads into this rig
      with a take off on the bottom, I could add the wine, pressurize the
      unit and have filtered wine.
      I would appreciate any and all ideas that anyone has to offer.
    • donald holcombe
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
        Pressurize with co2. The wine will absorb the o2 and change . Some of the early wines I made that got too much exposure to o2 now smell like wet paper bags.! Always aviod 02 in wine making. Ive seen people flush empty bottles and carboys with co2 just to avoid the o2. Noo2OK. Filters can remove flavors and color. I use other ways of fining.

        Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:Sometime ago I stopped reading the wine list I belong to, however, on
[...]

        Food and drink Home distilling Culture Organizational culture Distillers

        ---------------------------------

      • bradr36
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
          thought you might find this interesting, although i haven't built it.

          http://brewery.org/brewery/library/FiltInst.html

          BR

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet
          <derekhamlet@s...> wrote:
          > Sometime ago I stopped reading the wine list I belong to, however,
          on
          > occasion questions arise that intrigue me. This group has so many
          > experts that I thought I'd share my latest curiosity.
          > I want to build my own wine filter. I've had some experiences
          using
          > low end comercial wine filters. To say they are woefully lacking
          is
          > an understatement. This year I'm making a lot of country wines in
          > the hopes I can tipple at those and save my good grape wines for
          longer aging.
          > I'm making plum, pear, apple, blackberry, plum and fig wines from
          > free fruit. Even with fining it is sometimes hard to clarify fruit
          wines.
          > What I want to do is design something that is buildable a home to
          > filter these products in batches of approx. 23 litres.
          > I have pressure (a compressor). I have a 39 litre stainless steel
          > commercial fizzy wine container. It looks like one of those 23
          litre
          > pop containers used in restaurant; just a bit bigger. I was
          thinking
          > is I could design some way of inserting filter pads into this rig
          > with a take off on the bottom, I could add the wine, pressurize the
          > unit and have filtered wine.
          > I would appreciate any and all ideas that anyone has to offer.
        • sonum norbu
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
            Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
            need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
            necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
            settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

[...]

            SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
            http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
            IRC server tessnet.cx

          • Derek Hamlet
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
              I agree about the O2 thing obviously and I would never filter a red
              wine, but, I've never found that whites get flavor stripped from
              either fining or filtering.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
                Read the article. I wouldn't do it quite like that, but, it did
                provide me with some ideas for direction.
                Many thanks.
                At 07:50 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
                >thought you might find this interesting, although i haven't built it.
                >
                >http://brewery.org/brewery/library/FiltInst.html
                >
                >BR
                >
                >-
              • Derek Hamlet
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
                  Yes, I nearly always use pectic enzyme with country wines.
                  At 08:25 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
                  >Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
                  >need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
                  >necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
                  >settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

                • Dean Thomas
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 3, 2005
                    I know that many "Professional" Home brewers filter their beers for
                    clarity, Especially ones destined for judging. One that comes to mind is
                    cold filtering. A quick google search should get you hundreds of hits.

                    Dean.

                    Derek Hamlet wrote:

                    >Yes, I nearly always use pectic enzyme with country wines.
                    >At 08:25 PM 8/3/05, you wrote:
                    >

                    >>Iv'e been making fruit wines for some forty years and have never had the
                    >>need too filter. Do you use a pectin enzyme during fermentation? Not
                    >>necessary for all fruits but some need it. All I did was to leave it
                    >>settle and have never used finings. Blanikdog

                  • Robert Thomas
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 4, 2005
                      If you can filter beer, you can filter anything. Try
                      this link for a start:
                      http://tinyurl.com/aem7d
                      You'll only need a second pressure vessel if you want
                      fizzy wine (I think, though hydrostatic pressure is a
                      term that suddenly sprang to mind. Engineers out
                      there?)
                      Rob.

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs