Re: temperature

  • Lindsay Williams
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 3, 2005
      Yes, the wash has to be boiling as it is the vapour produced by the
      boiling that climbs up the column. With a packed column, this
      vapour/temp rise is fairly slow.

      I lower the power to what I want for the main run which is 824W. I do
      this by rearranging my two elements from parallel to serial operation.
      This divides heat-up power by 4.

      No need for a boiler thermometer. The temp is what it takes to boil
      and will change as the mixture changes. This is pure physics and there
      is nothing you can do about it. It's just irrelevant.

      Cheers,
      Lindsay.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chio0744" <chio0744@y...> wrote:
      > -Thanks for the response. i assume that the contents of the boiler
      > are at a boil before the temp rises in the column. is that corret?
      > Approx. how much do you turn the heat down - 1/4 less, 1/2 etc.? Do
      > you have a thermometer in you boiler as well. -- In
      > new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x> wrote:
      > > Adding to what Dean said, I judge when to turn the heat down by
      > > feeling the temp rising in the column. When it reaches about half
      > way
      > > I reduce the boiler power. This prevents the very fast temp rise at
      > > the top as the fast rising vapour hits the thermometer.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Lindsay.
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chio0744" <chio0744@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > > i am about to attempt my first distillation using a reflux still
      > with
      > > > water cooling near the top of the column. i am using a propane
      > burner
      > > > to heat my batch. once i have brought this to a boil, do i keep
      > it
      > > > boiling and on high heat and try to control the temperature at
      > the top
      > > > of the column by adjusting the flow of water or do i also have to
      > > > adjust the amount of heat to the pot and if so how do i do this
      > and
      > > > still maintain a constant temperature at the top? what do i do if
      > after
      > > > the batch begins to boil and while i am attempting to get the
      > correct
      > > > temperature at the top, this temperature fluxuates up and down.
      > thanks
    • scuba_duder
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 26, 2006
        Hi, I am new to this. This is my second attempt at distilling and
        cannot keep the temperature below 205. I am using a reflux still on my
        stove, any ideas?
      • Larry
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 27, 2006
          >Hi, I am new to this. This is my second attempt at distilling and
          >cannot keep the temperature below 205. I am using a reflux still on my
          >stove, any ideas?

          If you're saying that nothing comes out of the still until temp reaches
          205F, then your packing in the column is probably WAY too tight.

          If you have a packed column less than 1.5" in diameter, which is common on
          stovetop stills, overly-tight packing is even easier to do.

          What percentage of alcohol is in your output? You should have a pair of
          hydrometers, one calibrated for high percentages, and another for dealing
          with the relatively low percentages in the wash.

          You should have about 12%-20% alcohol in your wash before you start to distill.

          Higher alcohol percentage holds down the boiling-point of the wash. If
          you're starting out with near-water, you aren't going to get much steam
          until wash temp is also near the boiling point of water.

          If you're using copper mesh packing, fit should be as loose as you can make
          it and still keep it from falling out when you turn the column up vertical.

          The least little wisps of steam should be able to find their way to the
          condenser, without having to build up a whole lot of pressure to force
          their way through the packing.

          Ethanol boils at 140F, and so long as there's enough ethanol in the wash,
          temp won't go much above about 170F. While the temp is going above that,
          it's telling you that ethanol content of the wash is going down.

          If your heat-source is constant, you should hover around 170F for a long
          time no matter how much fire you put under it, then temp will start going
          up pretty quickly.

          Ideally, you should be using as little heat as you can get away with, after
          the wash gets up to temp.

          Very slow collecting gives more purity. However, if you're using too much
          heat, that won't make it hotter than 170F, it will only decrease the length
          of time it stays there before boiling all the alcohol out.

          As the percentage of alcohol left in the water diminishes, from boiling
          out, the temperature of the wash increases. You ARE starting with plenty of
          alcohol in your wash, aren't you?

          When ALL of the alcohol is gone, the temp will go up to the boiling point
          of water, and you'll begin making distilled water. You would have stopped
          collecting and killed the heat LONG before that.

          Most people quit collecting [for drinking] at about 185F, but continue to
          collect, for re-distillation, up to around 205F. Above 185F, it's
          lower-purity alcohol to throw back in with the next wash.

          There are other types of alcohol present in the wash, which boil at a
          slightly lower temp than ethanol, so you SHOULD be seeing some stinky
          non-ethanol alcohol (which needs to be thrown out) coming out of the
          condenser even before the wash is at all the way up to 140F.

          Also... how do you know it's 205F?

          Is your thermometer okay? How is it mounted? Is it sticking down into your
          packing, above it, or below it? Is it in the center of your column, not
          touching the sides or the reflux-condenser?

          If you have a rubber bung in the top of your column, with a thermometer
          stuck through it, the probe shouldn't be down into the packing, or touching
          any other metal. You need to be looking at the temperature of the steam, only.
        • Link D'Antoni
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 27, 2006
            Scuba,

            We need to know a few things:
            What type of still? Yes, reflux... what design?
            What quantity wash are you running in what size pot?
            Height of the column (assuming column)?
            Where is the thermometer placed?
            What type of stove? Gas, Electric? Electric might be
            cycling on and off which is tough to control.
            How fast are you heating up?
            Are you circulating water for condensing?
            What is the alc % of the yield?

            Link

            --- scuba_duder <scuba_duder@...> wrote:

            > Hi, I am new to this. This is my second attempt at
            > distilling and
            > cannot keep the temperature below 205. I am using a
            > reflux still on my
            > stove, any ideas?

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • scuba_duder
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 27, 2006
              Im not exactly sure what design my still is, i got it on ebay...maybe
              that was a bad idea. I am running about 4 gallons through it, in a 22
              qt pot. The height of the column is about 24 in. I have tried placing
              the thermometer in the top of the column before it bends to go down
              and I have tried it in the boiler. I am using an electric stove. I
              have a propane burner I could try if you think that would work better.
              I would say it heats up in about an hr. I put it on high up until
              about 140 then turned it down most of the way. Yes I am circulating
              water for condensing using my sink faucet. the alc % of the yield is
              90% at the beginning and about 80% 4 hrs later. I ran the still for
              about 6 hrs and got about 1 qt. I think the alc % of my wash was about
              14% but I am not sure because I forgot to measure the gravity at the
              start, but I am using bakers yeast so it should be about 14%.
            • Larry
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 27, 2006
                At 07:57 PM 12/27/2006, you wrote:
                >I'm not exactly sure what design my still is, i got it on ebay...maybe
                >that was a bad idea.
                >I am using an electric stove.
                >
                >I would say it heats up in about an hr. I put it on high up until
                >about 140 then turned it down most of the way. Yes I am circulating
                >water for condensing using my sink faucet. the alc % of the yield is
                >90% at the beginning and about 80% 4 hrs later.
                >I ran the still for about 6 hrs and got about 1 qt.

                Ebay purchase could have been a bad idea, mostly because the majority of
                the stills on there are sold by two sellers, both of whom are
                over-priced... but their stills DO work.

                I don't think the electric stove is your problem, but it's a problem,
                nonetheless.

                You need a constant amount of heat. Electric ranges, and ESPECIALLY
                hotplates, tend to run on a thermostat, which turns them on full-blast when
                the temp gets too low, then turns them off completely when it gets too high.

                A 90% yield is normal, taking an hour to bring a 4-gallon wash is also not
                abnormal for electric heat, and 80% output later in the run is also normal.

                One quart out of a 4-gallon wash is FAR from normal. It should have been
                MUCH more than that, if you started at 14%.

                One quart is FAR from normal. A 4-gallon wash should produce MUCH more than
                that, assuming 14% to begin with.

                However, you can't assume any percentage just from the type of yeast used.
                That's only a small factor.

                As long as there is sufficient yeast, of any kind, the amount of alcohol in
                the wash is determined mostly by how much sugar, dissolved oxygen, and
                nutrients are available for the yeast to feed on. Alcohol is basically
                Yeast Excrement. They eat sugar & nutrients, and excrete alcohol, until
                they are swimming in so much of their own excrement that they die.

                Turbo-pure 48 yeast packets advise 13-17 pounds of cane sugar in a 6.5
                gallon wash, and being a turbo, it already contains yeast nutrients. I'd
                think that most yeasts would need a similar amount of sugar. And that's
                specifically cane sugar... not beet sugar.

                So, go to propane, be SURE your column is packed loosely, and if that
                doesn't do it, you probably don't have as much alcohol in your wash as you
                think.

                Many things can cause that, but not enough sugar is the most common thing,
                and not enough nutrients, (like tomato-paste or molasses) is the number two
                thing.

                Not enough yeast can do it too, but that's more unusual.

                First, use a hydrometer to find out for sure how much alcohol you have
                after fermenting, THEN worry about why it's too little, if it IS too little.
              • Jan Wouter
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 28, 2006
                  Hi Larry,
                  Your reply shows again the power of this list. By answering scuba's
                  mail you also answered a problem of mine and gave a good hint on
                  another.

                  One was for the placing of the thermometer, not letting it touch the
                  metal. I used aluminium foil for placing my thermometer so I'm
                  probably measuring the temperature of my still (boiling point
                  probably) instead of the steam on top of my column). I will try some
                  bread dough next time.

                  The other one was about packaging and small diameter columns. You
                  confirmed my thoughts about it being to firm very easy. I did not get
                  good results using scrubbers, but in a small diameter column it
                  doesn't only clog the column easy, but also reduces the working
                  diameter of the column. This pushing the steam through it to high
                  speeds and reducing any reflux action.
                  I'll buy some new and try some really loos packing.

                  Once again thanks.
                  Jan Wouter

                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 28, 2006
                    In addition...
                    Check the accuracy of your thermometer using another
                    thermometer in boiling water if that is possible.
                    Seems to me the electric stove is the culprit. When
                    I tried using my electric stove, it drove me crazy!
                    OK, it was only a short walk but you get the idea.
                    Let's do the math with some assumptions:
                    4 gal x 3790ml = 15,160 ml wash.
                    15,160 x 14% alc wash = 2,122ml pure alcohol
                    available.
                    If you yielded 85% (low side) of the available alcohol
                    (2,122 x 85%)= 1,804ml of available 100% alcohol.
                    Let's say that you averaged 85% yield. (You said 90%
                    and 80%).
                    1,804 ml / 85% = 2,122ml of total yield.
                    If all of your numbers are correct you should have
                    filled a little over a 1/2 gal jug.

                    Recommendation: Change heat source. Practice,
                    practice, practice :-).

                    Link

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • scuba_duder
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 28, 2006
                      So do you think it is safe to drink the stuff that I did get even if
                      it was distilled to hot?
                    • Larry
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 28, 2006
                        At 06:10 PM 12/28/2006, you wrote:

                        >So do you think it is safe to drink the stuff that I did get even if it
                        >was distilled too hot?

                        The only downsides of distilling too hot are lowered purity, and wasted
                        heat. Propane and electricity ain't free! <grin>

                        If you put too much heat under your boiler, the rapid production of steam
                        will tend to carry a little water-vapor up with it, giving you a
                        lower-percentage output. It's easier to get 90%+ output if you use low
                        heat, and collect more slowly.

                        Anything you distill from a wash is safe... as safe as any alcohol can be,
                        anyway.

                        It IS still alcohol, which is poison, after all. Almost everything that can
                        make you high or drowsy is a poison of some kind, modified only by degree.

                        It may not be too desirable to drink, but it's as safe as anything you get
                        at the liquor store. You just need to make sure you don't try to re-distill
                        E85 fuel, denatured alcohol, or something like that.

                        There are varying amounts of methanol and other undesirable alcohols in the
                        very first alcohol that comes out of the condenser(the "Foreshots").

                        But you can cure that by collecting the first 50ml or so in one container,
                        and the rest in different ones. Even if you don't throw out the foreshots,
                        the only harm is nasty smell, bad taste, and greater chance of a hangover.

                        By the time you drink enough methanol from saving foreshots, your
                        Alcoholism will have long-since done a lot more damage, if not killed you.

                        Also, you just don't much want to throw any 90%+ stuff into your mouth. Cut
                        it down with distilled water to somewhere around 55% first.

                        Alcohol has a great affinity for water, so it will dry out your mouth
                        pretty badly, and that's unpleasant.

                        Long-term drinking of near-pure stuff will probably cause problems with
                        your teeth, from drying out your gums.

                        That's what causes "Meth Mouth" in methamphetamine addicts. Crystal meth
                        dries out their gums, and doing it frequently draws the gums away from the
                        teeth, letting in bacteria.
                      • scuba_duder
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 28, 2006
                          Hey thanks for all of your guy's help. I will keep practicing and let
                          you know how it turns out.
                        • Jan Wouter
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 29, 2006
                            2006/12/28, scuba_duder <scuba_duder@...>:
                            > I ran the still for
                            > about 6 hrs and got about 1 qt. I think the alc % of my wash was about
                            > 14% but I am not sure because I forgot to measure the gravity at the
                            > start, but I am using bakers yeast so it should be about 14%.

                            That is way to little for a 4 gallon wash. I get this easily from 2
                            gallons. Above all the other comments there are a few things to
                            consider:
                            How much sugar did you start with? Approx 17 gram of sugar in a liter
                            of water gives about 1 % of alcohol. This means that you need to add
                            approx. 240 grams of sugar to get a 14 percent wash.
                            Sorry for the metrics, you can do the maths youself.
                            You can also calculate how much alcohol you should've had if you know
                            how nuch sugar you used.
                            A good idea is to taste your wash prior to distilling it. If it still
                            tastes sweet and it is still bubbling leave it for a couple of days
                            more. If the bubbling has stopped and it still tastes sweet you've
                            used to much sugar for the yeast and nutritients you used.
                            My suggestion is to switch to turbo yeast instead of bakers, or use a
                            proper wine yeast. This should give you a much higher yield.

                            Regards and Proost
                            Jan Wouter
                          • donald holcombe
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 29, 2006
                              Larry check your figures. I cant find any scale that says ethanol will boil at 140 F. Methanol generaly boils off at about 160 F.Ethanol boils at 173 F when pure and gradually higher as the mix gets closer to water. .At 205F you could be getting Propanol which is not good. 205F is where I stop collecting in a pot still . And 185 is where I cut to tails.  LATER

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 29, 2006

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, donald holcombe <blackledge_02@...> wrote:

                                > Larry check your figures. I cant find any scale that says ethanol will boil at 140 F. Methanol generaly boils off at about 160 F.Ethanol boils at 173 F when pure and gradually higher as the mix gets closer to water. .At 205F you could be getting Propanol which is not good. 205F is where I stop collecting in a pot still . And 185 is where I cut to tails. LATER

                                The alcohols in the wash begin to vapourise from the wash around specific temperatures. If by themselves they would be ...

                                • Acetone 56.5C (134F)
                                • Methanol (wood alcohol) 64C (147F)
                                • Ethyl acetate 77.1C (171F)
                                • Ethanol 78C (172F)
                                • 2-Propanol (rubbing alcohol) 82C (180F)
                                • 1-Propanol 97C (207F)
                                • Water 100C (212F)
                                • Butanol 116C (241F)
                                • Amyl alcohol 137.8C (280F)
                                • Furfural 161C (322F)

                                Once together, a mixture of several of them will be slightly different however. You no longer get them coming off seperately, but always as a mixture. Fortunately for us though, each of the species will tend to dominate around its boiling point temperature, thus we know whats "mostly" coming off at that point. By tracking the temperature of the vapour, you have a fairly good idea when you're collecting the Ethanol your after (78-82 °C), vs when it is starting to get lean and you're into the higher alcohols.

                                Note that you may also need to adjust the temperature if you are distilling at altitude - the higher above sea level you are, the lower boiling temperatures become because of the reduced air pressure.

                                [Source: http://www.homedistiller.org/dtw.htm ]

                              • scuba_duder
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 29, 2006
                                  If im using a reflux still, is it possible to make any spirits other
                                  than vodka and gin? I want to try rum, will my reflux still strip all
                                  the flavor away?
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 29, 2006
                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "scuba_duder" <scuba_duder@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > If im using a reflux still, is it possible to make any spirits other
                                    > than vodka and gin? I want to try rum, will my reflux still strip all
                                    > the flavor away?

                                    Detune it. Remove the column insulation, & the mesh packing. Run it
                                    as a potstill ie. 1 strip run, with takeoff fully open, then a 2nd
                                    collection run of the strippate. On the 2nd run, cut your heads,
                                    hearts & tails. Hearts should run between 85% & 65% abv. (temp
                                    adjusted). Above & below that is feints for the next distillation.

                                    ps.
                                    These cuts are fairly standard. When you get more accustomed to your
                                    particular still & tastes, they can be varied to suit.

                                  • surya9375
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
                                      Yeps, it would strip off all the flovour. but if you already got one.
                                      you could try removing all the packing and firing it up. it might let
                                      in some of the flavours.

                                      Regards
                                      Surya

                                      wrote:

                                      > If im using a reflux still, is it possible to make any spirits other
                                      > than vodka and gin? I want to try rum, will my reflux still strip all
                                      > the flavor away?

                                    • Robert Thomas
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
                                        Hold up there with the Commandments!
                                        As Surya suggests, it is easier to get rum from a pot still, but that
                                        is not the way that most rum is produced these days. I have had easily
                                        as good results from a fully tuned (but "sloppily" run) reflux still as
                                        I have by removing all packing.
                                        Check Harry's site (The Library, tastylime, or whatever in links: look
                                        for the Arroya patent paper).
                                        good luck!
                                        Rob.

                                        --- surya9375 <surya9375@...> wrote:

                                        > Yeps, it would strip off all the flovour. but if you already got one.
                                        > you could try removing all the packing and firing it up. it might let
                                        > in some of the flavours.
                                        >
                                        > Regards
                                        > Surya
                                        >
                                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "scuba_duder"
                                        > <scuba_duder@...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > If im using a reflux still, is it possible to make any spirits
                                        > other
                                        > > than vodka and gin? I want to try rum, will my reflux still strip
                                        > all
                                        > > the flavor away?

                                        Cheers,
                                        Rob.

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      • Ian Kent
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
                                          I use a reflux still @ 92%ABV to produce rum that is full of flavour.
                                          Don't underestimate the power of molasses.

                                          Ian...

                                          On 1/2/07, surya9375 <surya9375@...> wrote:

                                          > Yeps, it would strip off all the flovour. but if you already got one.
                                          > you could try removing all the packing and firing it up. it might let
                                          > in some of the flavours.
                                          >
                                          > Regards
                                          > Surya
                                        • morganfield1
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 2, 2007
                                            Since I made my new still with an N/S head (about a year ago), I've
                                            used it to make all my whiskeys and rums. I put a couple of scrubbers
                                            at the base to catch the fusel oils,but that's optional. I set the
                                            needle valve to get around 90%. I find it alot easier to control the
                                            final taste because you have more control of the tales (tasty parts),
                                            but it takes trial and error. JM2C
                                            Tip one,
                                            Morgan

                                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Kent" <kegscruiser@...>